By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to buy Activision Blizzard for 69 billion $

haxxiy said:
KLAMarine said:

Can Sony afford Take-Two? Activision-Blizzard was in a bad spot which I think gave Microsoft the opening it needed. Is T2 going through the same?

Sony has somewhere between $20 b and $45 b in cash assets. But that's not the only means there is.

Sony Cash on Hand 2006-2021 | SONY | MacroTrends

16$B...end of Sept 2021. Sony does not have between 20 and 45b :) That being said, they have very little debts, so they can still borrow if they wanted to make a big acquisition.

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:
haxxiy said:

Sony has somewhere between $20 b and $45 b in cash assets. But that's not the only means there is.

16$B...end of Sept 2021. Sony does not have between 20 and 45b :) That being said, they have very little debts, so they can still borrow if they wanted to make a big acquisition.

Around $26B was spun off in 2020 as 'marketable securities' in the hands of Sony Financial Holdings. It's still there, as liquid as it was before, just under a different name.

Add that to the net profit since late 2021 minus long-term investments and you get more or less to the values I mentioned.

Marketable securities aka not freely available

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

haxxiy said:
Imaginedvl said:

Around $26B was spun off in 2020 as 'marketable securities' in the hands of Sony Financial Holdings. It's still there, as liquid as it was before, just under a different name.

Add that to the net profit since late 2021 minus long-term investments and you get more or less to the values I mentioned.

No, it is NOT there lol :)

I mean, it was there a year ago, it is gone now. I just posted you some source that shows it. Cash = anything in hand... Does not matter how you want to call it.

You cannot just say stuff... Please post any source that says otherwise (as off now... not a in 2020... which is exactly what the link I sent you is showing... There were effectively at 46b+), but that's past.

Imaginedvl said:
haxxiy said:

Why did it drop like that in the last two quarters?

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Imaginedvl said:

They spent it :) It is really normal, nothing alarming.

Imaginedvl said:
Kakadu18 said:

They spent it :) It is really normal, nothing alarming.

That's a big spending. Just wondering on what. Could have bought Take-Two twice with that money.

the-pi-guy said:

VideoGameAccountant said:

You do understand you need cash for operations right? If Sony tries to buy Square, that means they are taking a substantial about of cash from other divisions. Again, gaming is only a fourth of Sony's business, so to take up this much cash just to try and one-up Microsoft isn't feasible. Sony doesn't have a lot of excess liquidity to throw around. 

Yes, I'm aware you need cash for operations. Sony has been profiting for the past few years, their cash on hand is not declining. 

(You might point out the drop in 2020, but that's due to accounting changes, they started separating marketable securities as haxxiy mentioned above. Which is another source of source of easy cash...)

Are you aware Sony planned to spend $18 billion over the past year + the next 2 years? Primarily focusing on IP.

OK, that's nice its not declining. But I'm talking about Cash as is. As of 9/30/20. So that's not relevant.

>Are you aware Sony planned to spend $18 billion over the past year + the next 2 years? Primarily focusing on IP.

I am, but does that mean they are going to buy Square. Probably not. I'm looking at their financial position, and they aren't as big or as liquid as a lot of people want to claim. Most likely, they are going to invest in smaller/mid-sized studios and internal growth. That 18 billion was over 3 years (or 6 billion a year) and across multiple divisions. Again, I think Sony buying Square Enix is fans coping after Microsoft dealt a major blow to the brand. 

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

The Communist in me is absolutely disgusted, the gamer in me that currently has an Xbox Series S is mildly excited. Ahh the duality and stupidity of being human.

The more I think about this acquisition, the more I don't like it. Consolidation at this scale grosses me out. I like when everyone is healthy, strong and competitive, but more importantly balanced. Now one party is way too powerful.

You could have argued that the Bethesda acquisition was self-defense/offense. MS probably was peeved at Sony grabbing up Deathloop, Ghostwire: Tokyo and caught Sony eyeing Starfield and decided that was enough. Sony had it coming sniffing around Bethesda that much.

This Activision-Blizzard acquisition doesn't feel like that, it feels like overkill. CoD is literally the biggest game on PlayStation every year. Losing Bethesda hurts Sony's revenue, but Bethesda releases a big game at most every 3+ years. It donesn't hurt like Activision. Losing arguably the biggest third-party publisher every year is a big, big deal that will have long-lasting consequences for years to come. Remember that the Dreamcast had died in part because it lost support of one of the biggest third-party publishers, EA, back in the day.

Now, obviously I don't think Sony will go the way of Sega, but the loss of this publisher to Sony will be massive.

And inevitably Sony will probably respond with even more third-party/timed exclusives or DLC. (Granted, they were doing that even before Bethesda). Hell, they could definitively acquire Square Enix despite what some say. Oh well.

Last edited by hiccupthehuman - on 19 January 2022