Forums - Gaming Discussion - I Just Bought My First Sony Game Ever

Men of the West, what say you?!

I shall or have purchased... 6 37.50%

I shall never stain my ho... 7 43.75%

They should have stayed on PS devices only! 3 18.75%

Total:16
Dulfite said:
mjk45 said:

I don't know either but for someone who has never owned one you see him commenting a lot not just in general but also in Sony specific articles and threads, now while that's his prerogative, he sure does show a lot of interest in the PlayStation side of things, especially considering that he proclaims to have no gaming interest in them at all.

Nowadays that's just me being a goofball lol. It used to be serious. Microsoft kind of broke me out of my "Nintendo or go home" philosophy on gaming years ago, as well as some third parties, and now I'm a lot more open minded. I just currently don't have access to hardly any Sony games because I don't have the time to justify owning a Switch, gaming PC, and PlayStation.

My question is why start with GOW it is infamous for its violence, also why you may not like zombie games tlous isn't a typical zombie game it's nothing like resident evil etc but that may be better discussed in the future.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
m0ney said:

Dad of Boy is my most hated game ever, you can't even jump in it, the inventory is a big mess, you can buy 1000 combat moves that are pointless, the story is about not Kratos, you know the god of war? but about some viking dude who can't feel anything

At what point in the game did you want a jump button and for what?
If you mean for combat, I don't think that would add anything interesting to this combat system, since it's not like Devil May Cry.

As for the Viking, his script is pretty thin compared to Kratos and Atreus. He has a pretty standard role for an antagonist.

Dulfite said:
Kakadu18 said:

Why hath thy loathed Playstation?

The following is my opinion.

1) I don't like 99% of mature games or R movies. Seeing people dismembered, tortured, sex scenes, or any combination thereof is not why I play video games. Many PlayStation games fall into these categories. There are exceptions, but they haven't been enough to justify the expense of buying a PlayStation. 

2) For my kid/teen years, I loved my GameCube dearly. It was the console me and my friends played every day. None of us had any time for PS2's because all our gaming time was spent going back and forth between Smash Melee, Mario Party, Star Wars Clone Wats, Rogue Squadron 2, and the hordes of other games on the purple box. That is, to this day, my single favorite gaming console ever, so PlayStation didn't really stand a chance of winning over my time back then. I certainly couldn't afford two devices then and since we all were playing GC like crazy that furthered me not buying one. Then PS3 came out with an absurdly high price point and that was extremely off-putting and I loved GameCube so much that I got a Wii.

3) I have never liked the PS controller design. It's always felt weird in my hands, unlike the perfect gaming controller that is the GameCube which felt more comfortable in my hand than any other controller.

4) The fanboy impact. When I was younger I encountered a lot of kids who owned PlayStations and had a rather arrogant mindset because of it. They'd always brag about how much better the PS was compared to Nintendo, kind of like Apple fanatics we're just as insulting in high school. That rubbed me the wrong way. Should I hate on a company for what their consumers do? No, but I was a dumb kid myself lol.

The ps2 era couldn't end soon enough. Sony being that far ahead with sales was awful. It's nice to know nintendo has won the last two console generations against them and restored order.

I lack interest in Sony games too. Had a ps, didn’t care for it. I found no interest in ps2 aside from a few niche titles (rygar, berserk, ultimate muscle, altered beast). I didn’t need a ps3 but I bought one with a psp go out of novelty. Tried ps4 and sold it pretty quickly.

I think the company is great and they make good decisions for the fans and devs. I love their console style and software design. They are the best at all of that. I just don’t like their 1st party games or fan attitude because when Dreamcast died I became prejudice! Sorry!

Hiku said:
m0ney said:

Dad of Boy is my most hated game ever, you can't even jump in it, the inventory is a big mess, you can buy 1000 combat moves that are pointless, the story is about not Kratos, you know the god of war? but about some viking dude who can't feel anything

You can't be serious asking that? You are fine with the game promting you to press X to do everything for you?

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

I can't believe that I watched that entire video despite not playing a God of war game since chains of Olympus on my ol PSP.

Was a good watch though but don't feel like I can give an opinion on the new game having never played it.

m0ney said:
Hiku said:

You can't be serious asking that? You are fine with the game promting you to press X to do everything for you?

That's a 58 min long video. The only thing I saw about jumping when I skimmed through it was at 9:20. Is that it?

But to answer your question, in this game? Yes. Because the levels are not focused on platforming. Like in Ocarina of Time. While they were in Mario 64.
They're mainly focusing on puzzles, and using tools to trigger various mechanics that change the layout of your surroundings.

If I don't need a jump button, then why would I want it?

The only difference having a jump button would make in this game that I can think of, is punishing you for a missed jump and falling to your death or something.
Because the levels are not designed in ways where it would feel particularly rewarding to make a jump on your own. They're all very basic.

If a game is designed around and focusing on platforming, then it makes sense to have manual jumping and punishing a player for missing a jump, but it doesn't make sense in games that are not about platforming.

And for the record, I'm not a big fan of this game, but that had nothing to do with the lack of a jump button, but rather that I didn't really enjoy the combat outside of boss battles. The boss battles were excellent though.

Last edited by Hiku - on 18 January 2022

Hiku said:
m0ney said:

That's a 58 min long video. The only thing I saw about jumping when I skimmed through it was at 9:20. Is that it?

At 16:50. I made it start at that time, don't know why it doesn't.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

snyps said:

I lack interest in Sony games too. Had a ps, didn’t care for it. I found no interest in ps2 aside from a few niche titles (rygar, berserk, ultimate muscle, altered beast). I didn’t need a ps3 but I bought one with a psp go out of novelty. Tried ps4 and sold it pretty quickly.

I think the company is great and they make good decisions for the fans and devs. I love their console style and software design. They are the best at all of that. I just don’t like their 1st party games or fan attitude because when Dreamcast died I became prejudice! Sorry!

No issues with you having preferences (you recognize the strenghts but it isn`t the type of thing you are after, totally valid imho), although that is a long time to hold a grudge =p

m0ney said:
Hiku said:

Well I played on Give me GoW and I can certainly say X didn`t do everything for me, it was the hardest game I ever platined.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

m0ney said:
Hiku said:

"Game is bad because jumping is automatic and too easy."

"Game is bad because fov is smaller making combat too hard."

"I don't care about these characters. Oh and I completely ignore every time Atreus is talking."

Also love how they praise pressing circle for the one boss, but R1/L1 is bad for the newer boss.

To be honest, I disagree heavily with a lot of stuff in this video. I cared a lot more about the characters in 2018, than any of the previous games. The newest GoW was the first time I cared about any of the God of War games.