By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How many mainline Pokemon games will Pokemon Legend Arceus outsell?

How many games it will outsell?

None 23 37.10%

1 - Black and White 5 8.06%

2 - BW and SM 1 1.61%

3 - BW, SM, and RS 3 4.84%

4 - BW, SM, RS, and XY 8 12.90%

5 - BW, SM, RS, XY, and DP 8 12.90%

6 - BW, SM, RS, XY, DP, and SS 3 4.84%

7 - BW, SM, RS, XY, DP, SS, GS 3 4.84%

ALL of them! 8 12.90%

Total:62

Depends on the quality of the game but i feel like it will sell below expectations. Marketing doesnt seem to hit when people played Botw 5 years ago on the same system and the sequel is coming the same year. Pokémon legends looks empty and not quite fun actually.

I was happy when they announced it, but i feel like they really didn’t show much more since then and the game still looks empty as hell. And knowing gamefreak it’s probably not just an intuition but the game is just unfinished or rushed. I dont know why they have to release this in January when they just released a Pokémon game…

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
aikohualda said:

This games seems to have a lot of potential and even if it sucks, would like it to be successful.  The reason I want this game to be successful just because game freak is finally taking more risk for a Pokemon game.  They are moving away from their comfort zone and I hope they would do it more often.  How successful will this game be? How many units it will sell? Will it outsell a lot of mainline pokemon game? These are the mainline pokemon games (excluding remakes, 3rd entry, and direct sequel).

The game has to sell at least 15.65 million to outsell the lowest mainline Pokemon game (Black and White).  I think it is a pretty easy number to beat. But how many Games you think it will beat out of 8 generations of mainline Pokemon games?

GameSold in Millions
RBG31.37
GS23.73
RS16.22
DP17.67
BW15.64
XY16.45
SM16.18
SS22.35

The 3DS entry's numbers are not up to date. X/Y sold 16.58mil and Sun/Moon sold 16.27mil, more than Ruby/Sapphire, so your poll is wrong too.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/3ds.html

I will fix it when i get the chance! Thank you!

It's really hard to say how many. I wouldn't be shocked if this number turns out to be 0. However I am going to be bullish and say it will outsell Diamond/Pearl. If it can outdo Sword/Shield then I will definitely be shocked.

I think its sabotaged a bit by arriving right after a remake, I'll peg it at 15m LT if good. If bad than 8-9m

I think it has a decent chance to hit 20 million. I don't think it'll come anywhere close to SS but it should beat all those 16m/17m games.
I would think it'll hit 10 million this quarter and be at 15 million by end of the year. Another 5 million the rest of its life is possible.

Seems to be taking the series in a fresh new direction. Even if it's not the full blown open world that people were probably hoping for. But the game looks cool.

The only possible wrench I could see is that they made the bizarre choice to release it two months after the DP remake, so it's possible pokemon fans aren't gonna feel like buying two Pokemon games in a row. This game would have made much more sense as a holiday '22 release.

Around the Network

I'm not sure. It's good that they're taking risks, but I feel like this one may be rough around the edges. It also will potentially be less accessible than other entries. It's also being marketed a bit differently as more of a spin off. On the other hand, novelty can pay off, and the Switch ecosystem is very healthy. I'm just going to guess 2.

None. Even the worst-selling mainline title (Black and White) sold 15.64 million. I don't see Arceus reaching 15 million or above, but 10 million is likely.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

How many games it will outsell?
None 16 50.00%

1 - Black and White 3 9.38%

2 - BW and SM 0 0%

3 - BW, SM, and RS 1 3.13%

4 - BW, SM, RS, and XY 4 12.50%

5 - BW, SM, RS, XY, and DP 4 12.50%

6 - BW, SM, RS, XY, DP, and SS 0 0%

7 - BW, SM, RS, XY, DP, SS, GS 2 6.25%

ALL of them! 2 6.25%

Total: 32

as of 1/27/22 11:33 AM Pacific Time 50% of people said it will not sell more than the lowest selling mainline pokemon game.... we shall see if it is true

I'll be happy if it outsells the Diamond and Pearl Remake.

Wow surprised so many people think this won't sell well. I mean it did get a stupid release date two months after the D/P remake, but other than that this game looks like it'll probably sell a lot. I mean i expect the D/P remake will probably sell like 15 million, and I certainly expect a brand new Pokemon that is finally a departure from the stale 2 decades old gameplay to sell much better than a remake. This is definitely a possible 20 million seller, though I wouldn't be surprised if it falls a little bit short of that. But I bet all the hardcore pokemon fans that were disappointed with Sw/Sh are eagerly anticipating this one.