By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could the Xbox Series S be the Bridge for Switch 2 to have more Last Gen Games?

I was just thinking about how close in power a Switch 2 could be compared to a Xbox Series S, and how Third Parties could think about porting their games with that difference in power.

I understand the benefits of ARM vs x86 so it's gonna be better now that a lot of publishers had work with Switch.

Around the Network

Switch 2 will probably a bit stronger than Xbone in power, not Series S. The current more powerful chipset belongs to Steam Deck, doubt Nintendo will go mich further than that. Switch need other hardware components to work, joycons with gyro, a dock, etc and Switch 2 is likely to have other kind of gimmick to increase costs. I think Nintendo will keep their 300 USD price strategy and Nintendo has a more fiscally conservative approach of not selling hardware at loss

The reason I think they will keep their 300 USD is because handheld gamers won't pay ~500 USD in a Switch 2 right off the bat and from 2018 data at least 30% of Switch userbase were firstly handheld gamers, although Nintendo can keep a strategy of first releasing a hybrid version to console gamers and later a less expensive version to handheld gamers. In this case I can see Switch 2 coming closer to Series S-ish in therms of raw Power (with docked included). This is enough to secure Switch 2 to run pretty much any 9th game docked I think, unless we see in the end of the generation games released exclusively to Series X (which I doubt, as series S is currently outselling X version seems a pretty large userbase to studios ignore)

Doubtful. Its not about power I just dont think devs will bother since those games just dont sell as well on switch. Like jrpg on xbox. Could be ciz the audience of that platform has being without for so long they have better means to play those games.

Could be just me but the games I play on switch and the games I play on hoome console tend to be very diferent. Like a turn base rpg. Love it on switch but I would not put one on my ps5. And on switch I would not play a heavy action game like a souls entry but I would on ps5.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:

Doubtful. Its not about power I just dont think devs will bother since those games just dont sell as well on switch. Like jrpg on xbox. Could be ciz the audience of that platform has being without for so long they have better means to play those games.

Could be just me but the games I play on switch and the games I play on hoome console tend to be very diferent. Like a turn base rpg. Love it on switch but I would not put one on my ps5. And on switch I would not play a heavy action game like a souls entry but I would on ps5.

I think it also comes down to 3rd parties that think their games cannot compete against Nintendo games and will therefore be taking a backseat, whereas on Xbox and PS they actually stand a chance to sell. Nintendo systems are more about the 1st party games, whereas PS and Xbox systems are more about 3rd party. There are a few exceptions, but I think it comes down to the type of game each audience looks for.

A switch successor targeting the Series S would be ideal. And if it’s targeting a 2024 launch, that should be more than possible. I don’t think people realize just how far mobile processing technology has come since the mid 2010s, and the Switch was using a generation out of date graphics architecture when it launched.

If the Switch successor targets a current-for-2024 gen graphics and CPU architecture, getting Series S performance out of a handheld form factor should be achievable and desirable.

Around the Network

My appreciation for Team Xbox continues to grow, if this is true. I already love Gamepass, but Nintendo is my preferred gaming environment, so if MS's decision to make a fully supported little bro to Series X leads to an entire generation of third party developers making weaker/stronger versions of the same game, and said weaker versions run well on Switch 2, then we Nintendo fans have a lot of thanks to give towards the Series S for paving the way for more native third party ports.

Switch has a lot of indies and some big third party games, but misses out on a lot of ones too. Cloud may be the permanent fixture to this problem one day, when fiber is everywhere, but until then we will need native games and the Series S increases the likelihood of those being made since it is so popular.

Dulfite said:

My appreciation for Team Xbox continues to grow, if this is true. I already love Gamepass, but Nintendo is my preferred gaming environment, so if MS's decision to make a fully supported little bro to Series X leads to an entire generation of third party developers making weaker/stronger versions of the same game, and said weaker versions run well on Switch 2, then we Nintendo fans have a lot of thanks to give towards the Series S for paving the way for more native third party ports.

Switch has a lot of indies and some big third party games, but misses out on a lot of ones too. Cloud may be the permanent fixture to this problem one day, when fiber is everywhere, but until then we will need native games and the Series S increases the likelihood of those being made since it is so popular.

I completely agree with this, and I think in the long run Microsoft lowering the hardware barrier to entry for 9th gen is going to be appreciated by more people than criticized. Nintendo getting access to AAA third party again would be good for everyone 

Hopefully Nintendo's next system is at least as strong as the base PS4, if it's anywhere close to the ps4 pro or Xbox One X that would be amazing. Currently there are some Xbox One X games that look better than Xbox Series S games. Frame rates seem to be better on the Series S, at least from the very small research I've done watching youtube videos. I'm sure as time goes on and developers have more time to optimize games to the Series S that will improve. If the next Nintendo systems is similar to the Switch but as powerful as the base PS4 I think we will do pretty good with 3rd party ports.

aTokenYeti said:
Dulfite said:

I completely agree with this, and I think in the long run Microsoft lowering the hardware barrier to entry for 9th gen is going to be appreciated by more people than criticized. Nintendo getting access to AAA third party again would be good for everyone 

Even if Switch 2 is weaker than Series S, the work on Series S versions of games will already be there, so "dumbing it down" further to work on the Switch 2 won't be nearly as costly or tedious as it would a game made only for Series X/PS5. There will probably be at least 20-30 million Series S's sold by this generations end, probably a good amount more. That's tens of millions more users on top of the Nintendo ones to incentives third party developers to make weaker versions of games.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Switch 2 will probably a bit stronger than Xbone in power, not Series S. The current more powerful chipset belongs to Steam Deck, doubt Nintendo will go mich further than that. Switch need other hardware components to work, joycons with gyro, a dock, etc and Switch 2 is likely to have other kind of gimmick to increase costs. I think Nintendo will keep their 300 USD price strategy and Nintendo has a more fiscally conservative approach of not selling hardware at loss

The reason I think they will keep their 300 USD is because handheld gamers won't pay ~500 USD in a Switch 2 right off the bat and from 2018 data at least 30% of Switch userbase were firstly handheld gamers, although Nintendo can keep a strategy of first releasing a hybrid version to console gamers and later a less expensive version to handheld gamers. In this case I can see Switch 2 coming closer to Series S-ish in therms of raw Power (with docked included). This is enough to secure Switch 2 to run pretty much any 9th game docked I think, unless we see in the end of the generation games released exclusively to Series X (which I doubt, as series S is currently outselling X version seems a pretty large userbase to studios ignore)

It's going to be much stronger than the Xbox One power wise. To start, they will likely use Orin which has a theoretical peak of 4TFLOPS. Though they will reduce clocks so we can assume 2TFLOPS docked would be more likely. It also has a 12 core CPU and 200GB/s memory bandwidth, so the CPU will be far more capable and, even if they only put 8GB of RAM in the Switch 2, the amount of data they can transfer will be quadruple what the Xbox One could. Then we have DLSS, which would allow for the Switch to render only a 720p picture in order to upscale to 1440p and look decent enough (whereas currently the Xbox Series S is rendering each pixel). Basically, even if Nintendo lowers just about everything on the Orin chip in order to save on power draw it will still be far more capable than an Xbox One or One S console.