By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could the Xbox Series S be the Bridge for Switch 2 to have more Last Gen Games?

No

Around the Network

If Nintendo can make a system that comes close to the Series S in power while still keeping it at Nintendo's preferred price point for volume, that would be a good thing as long as game companies make games that will run on Series S. But I would also like for Nintendo to start thinking of the Switch as an ecosystem in that I would like to be able to bring my Switch library onto its successor.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Switch 2 will probably a bit stronger than Xbone in power, not Series S. The current more powerful chipset belongs to Steam Deck, doubt Nintendo will go mich further than that. Switch need other hardware components to work, joycons with gyro, a dock, etc and Switch 2 is likely to have other kind of gimmick to increase costs. I think Nintendo will keep their 300 USD price strategy and Nintendo has a more fiscally conservative approach of not selling hardware at loss

The reason I think they will keep their 300 USD is because handheld gamers won't pay ~500 USD in a Switch 2 right off the bat and from 2018 data at least 30% of Switch userbase were firstly handheld gamers, although Nintendo can keep a strategy of first releasing a hybrid version to console gamers and later a less expensive version to handheld gamers. In this case I can see Switch 2 coming closer to Series S-ish in therms of raw Power (with docked included). This is enough to secure Switch 2 to run pretty much any 9th game docked I think, unless we see in the end of the generation games released exclusively to Series X (which I doubt, as series S is currently outselling X version seems a pretty large userbase to studios ignore)

I belive too that won't be as powerful as Series S, but theorically speaking, lastest Nvidia 2022 mobile chip ORIN can give a fight to Series S in RAW power. And i believe we're gonna have a custom Chip only for Switch, Last time they recycled the Nvidia Shield chip.

Because of inflation I can see a $400 Switch 2 after Nintendo decrease all Switch Models by $50, so Switch 2 for $400 and Switch 1 OLED for $300.

eva01beserk said:

Doubtful. Its not about power I just dont think devs will bother since those games just dont sell as well on switch. Like jrpg on xbox. Could be ciz the audience of that platform has being without for so long they have better means to play those games.

Could be just me but the games I play on switch and the games I play on hoome console tend to be very diferent. Like a turn base rpg. Love it on switch but I would not put one on my ps5. And on switch I would not play a heavy action game like a souls entry but I would on ps5.

I understand people get a Switch mostly for 1sr/2nd party titles, but I've seen an increase in Thrid party sales, not as big as Playstation/Xbox consoles, but enough to publish a game and get more public in the little console.

I can see Next Gen Switch's power be a factor, not a reason, to get more games.

Last edited by eddy7eddy - on 09 January 2022

aTokenYeti said:

A switch successor targeting the Series S would be ideal. And if it’s targeting a 2024 launch, that should be more than possible. I don’t think people realize just how far mobile processing technology has come since the mid 2010s, and the Switch was using a generation out of date graphics architecture when it launched.

If the Switch successor targets a current-for-2024 gen graphics and CPU architecture, getting Series S performance out of a handheld form factor should be achievable and desirable.

Exactly, but I can only see it reaching that power in Dock Mode. I believe we're gonna get a Custom chip this time.

Around the Network

I can see the Switch 2 (in terms of power) ending in the way of how the Switch is positioned currently, and what porting situation is going to be like.

Going by Nintendo's previous choices in SoC's. They'll choose an existing off the shelf product and work around that. And assuming that dev kits have been rolling out since last year and rumors are true.. the latest SoC I see Nintendo building upon for the next console is going to be based on Nvidia's Tegra - Xavier. Which is Volta based architecture. This architecture is two generation behind current gen and in a SoC similar envelope (10-15W) would most likely place this below a Steam Deck. Even if we consider Nintendo requesting the new custom silicon to be built using the latest node by TSMC/Samsung.

So much closer to the last generation consoles than the newer ones in capability and raw compute.

Last edited by hinch - on 09 January 2022

Dulfite said:

My appreciation for Team Xbox continues to grow, if this is true. I already love Gamepass, but Nintendo is my preferred gaming environment, so if MS's decision to make a fully supported little bro to Series X leads to an entire generation of third party developers making weaker/stronger versions of the same game, and said weaker versions run well on Switch 2, then we Nintendo fans have a lot of thanks to give towards the Series S for paving the way for more native third party ports.

Switch has a lot of indies and some big third party games, but misses out on a lot of ones too. Cloud may be the permanent fixture to this problem one day, when fiber is everywhere, but until then we will need native games and the Series S increases the likelihood of those being made since it is so popular.

I think the same for Team Xbox, i would say Switch 2 and mainstream PC Users could be grateful with Series S.

Doctor_MG said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Switch 2 will probably a bit stronger than Xbone in power, not Series S. The current more powerful chipset belongs to Steam Deck, doubt Nintendo will go mich further than that. Switch need other hardware components to work, joycons with gyro, a dock, etc and Switch 2 is likely to have other kind of gimmick to increase costs. I think Nintendo will keep their 300 USD price strategy and Nintendo has a more fiscally conservative approach of not selling hardware at loss

The reason I think they will keep their 300 USD is because handheld gamers won't pay ~500 USD in a Switch 2 right off the bat and from 2018 data at least 30% of Switch userbase were firstly handheld gamers, although Nintendo can keep a strategy of first releasing a hybrid version to console gamers and later a less expensive version to handheld gamers. In this case I can see Switch 2 coming closer to Series S-ish in therms of raw Power (with docked included). This is enough to secure Switch 2 to run pretty much any 9th game docked I think, unless we see in the end of the generation games released exclusively to Series X (which I doubt, as series S is currently outselling X version seems a pretty large userbase to studios ignore)

It's going to be much stronger than the Xbox One power wise. To start, they will likely use Orin which has a theoretical peak of 4TFLOPS. Though they will reduce clocks so we can assume 2TFLOPS docked would be more likely. It also has a 12 core CPU and 200GB/s memory bandwidth, so the CPU will be far more capable and, even if they only put 8GB of RAM in the Switch 2, the amount of data they can transfer will be quadruple what the Xbox One could. Then we have DLSS, which would allow for the Switch to render only a 720p picture in order to upscale to 1440p and look decent enough (whereas currently the Xbox Series S is rendering each pixel). Basically, even if Nintendo lowers just about everything on the Orin chip in order to save on power draw it will still be far more capable than an Xbox One or One S console. 

Exactly, I was thinking the same with Orin chip, it's a 2022 chip, good timing for Switch 2, but because how successfull Switch is, we are going to have now a custom chip from Nvidia based in Orin or even next Gen, using more advantage than current Switch SoC.

SKMBlake said:

No

^2

SanAndreasX said:

If Nintendo can make a system that comes close to the Series S in power while still keeping it at Nintendo's preferred price point for volume, that would be a good thing as long as game companies make games that will run on Series S. But I would also like for Nintendo to start thinking of the Switch as an ecosystem in that I would like to be able to bring my Switch library onto its successor.

True, and I would be angry with Nintendo if we can't use our Switch library with the next system.