By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Days Gone vs Ghost of Tsushima, sales vs expectations of Sony

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
ironmanDX said:

8 million should be enough for a sequel tbh. That's one hell of a playerbase. Even if half bought it at full or near full price for the sequel...

I'm sure at the time of launch it may not have seemed like a good idea but damn...

Imagine not releasing a new mass effect because of andromeda?

Yes imagine sony doing what EA did and 

"Mass Effect Andromeda studio BioWare Montreal will be absorbed by EA Motive"

Instead the old guard left because they are not happy and the new guard gets to prove themselfs with a brand new IP and not the "son " of that old guard..

People complain there is too much sequels

People bitch they want new ips

People bitch that quality is more important than sales

People bitch a game sold great and metacritic and reviews are the reason a company does not make a sequel...

And lets not mention the usual people with agendas trying to make sony look bad in this like they do in other situations. We dont even know the reason and all the facts, we have two ex employers talking their version.

I swear if they made a sequel instead the same people would say that sony only thinks about money and no one asked for a sequel.

People love to complain, and sure there are plenty that will do it only to driven their agenda.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
twintail said:

First, SIE management had no decision in DG2, now we know the 8 million sales figure is based on random estimate plays and not official sales data.

Yeah... Trophy data includes stuff like rentals and borrowed physical copies.

The actual number shipped must be far less than Ghost of Tsushima.

JRPGfan said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

GoT was acclaimed and loved by media and customers 

Days Gone was bashed because of its bugs and whatnot. Sony expects only very high quality and acclaim from their games, a game with 71 on Metacritic is not what they are looking for 

"and whatnot"

nah, it wasnt the bugs, it was mainly journalists and critics, getting angry at the male role, and his attitutde towards women.
Femanists went wild, and journalistes all showed up to support them, and gave it worse reviews than it deserved.

I've been saying this since forever, its a underrated game.
Its a much better game than its review score, shows.

Apparently, word of mouth, and solid gameplay, beats journalists dogpileing on it.

Looking at the reviews on Metacritic several right away had the bugs and technical issues as a negative that pulls the experience down.

twintail said:

First, SIE management had no decision in DG2, now we know the 8 million sales figure is based on random estimate plays and not official sales data.

Didn’t Gamestat used a small sample and then extrapolate the numbers?

Thats what some people said before, so they numbers are/were inaccurate AF. 

The game is that good and complete gameplay and story wise, that a sequel is not warranted. How do you even make a sequel to this masterpiece? Would be better if they made a new game, but with similar style of gameplay, maybe even open world.

Around the Network

The game is that good and complete gameplay and story wise, that a sequel is not warranted. How do you even make a sequel to this masterpiece? Would be better if they made a new game, but with similar style of gameplay, maybe even open world.

Just posted this in one of the articles in regarding to Sony being interested in anything besides Days Gone.

"Honestly, I totally get this. I really think Higher ups were just not interested in the story/characters/world of Days Gone and I can't blame them... you can take the same gameplay and put it in another universe with even more of a distinct spin.

I'm very happy they're working on a new IP"

Not every game needs to be a franchise. DG probably went on to sell pretty well in a year where there was no other major PS exclusive but I think ultimately its universe doesn't really stand next to Ratchet, Horizon, GOT, TLOU, Uncharted... there isn't a mascot or iconography to bring forward.

Seeing as there's so many stories and worlds for Sony to try their hand at, I totally get wanting to leave this fairly vanilla tale behind in favour for a riskier, more unique endeavour. Maybe one that uses a similar gameplay blueprint although I'm hoping not.

KratosLives said:

The Fun thing is that seems to be exactly what they are doing Sony, greenlit a new IP

and Bend stated that it is an open world game that expands on what they  have done.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 12 January 2022

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

KratosLives said:

Did you miss the secret ending? It's not complete story wise at all. In fact they left a massive opening for a sequel that I was excited to play more of.