By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Days Gone vs Ghost of Tsushima, sales vs expectations of Sony

Qwark said:

Even if Days Gone made enough money, we don't know how the sequel was actually pitched, which is also something to consider. Besides it's not like Sony is closing the studio. They are making a new open world game and they definitely use some of the tech and experience they got while making Days Gone.

Pretty much the most important piece of info we know nothing about.

Around the Network

Not really apples to apples.

Even your source in OP say the LOCAL STUDIO MANAGEMENT was disappointed, Sony management never said anything about the title. And whoever gave the rumor of the sequel pitch being denied wasn't Sony central making it public.

And truth be told, neither GoT nor DG needs a sequel their story was self contained so I'm good with both studios making a new IP.

Also as people pointed out, the Directors Cut, the Legend and the DLC for GoT plus it being well received by midia, fans and alike all put it in a very different situation from DG (which I liked a lot, even with the moronic bike mechanics, and technically GoT is much superior). So really it isn't a surprise why one is better viewed then the other, besides DG was a bet from Bend to enter AAA on console space (they were doing spin off on PSVita before that and their last great IP before DG was ways back) while Sucker Punch have been receiving constant good reveal and results, so let's say Sony have more confidence.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

8 million should be enough for a sequel tbh. That's one hell of a playerbase. Even if half bought it at full or near full price for the sequel...

I'm sure at the time of launch it may not have seemed like a good idea but damn...

Imagine not releasing a new mass effect because of andromeda?

ironmanDX said:

8 million should be enough for a sequel tbh. That's one hell of a playerbase. Even if half bought it at full or near full price for the sequel...

I'm sure at the time of launch it may not have seemed like a good idea but damn...

apples to oranges example you got there

Surprisingly good sales for Days gone but i wonder if Sony were happy with the profits, i remember some some guy from the dev team bitching that too many people were buying it after a price cut and that if fans wanted a sequel it was important they bought the game near release it at full price.

Around the Network
twintail said:
ironmanDX said:

Agreed but it's what I had at the top of my head.

Tomb raider is a better one. Sold 10 million, square weren't happy. Made a trilody anyway. 

What about the rest of the post?

I think we are forgetting that Sony has a number of other metrics that we don't have in addition to reviews and sales. Such as average playtime, completion rates etc.

So in addition to the need for discounts to move that number of sales, its entirely possible that a good number of people who bought the game didn't end up playing it for a significant amount of time.

In this particular scenario I think forcing the studio to move on to a new IP was the right decision. I think Sony could have allowed the sequel but in all honesty its likely that the Days Gone fanbase is limited and if the sequel is just a continuation of story with slightly added gameplay elements then I think the opportunity for growth is near impossible. This is perfectly fine but it needs to be weighed against the estimated cost it will take to build the sequel.

Investing in a new IP is a clean slate for the team and Sony and the potential fanbase for the new IP will most likely exceed that of the Days Gone sequel.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

GoT was acclaimed and loved by media and customers 

Days Gone was bashed because of its bugs and whatnot. Sony expects only very high quality and acclaim from their games, a game with 71 on Metacritic is not what they are looking for 

Shinobi-san said:

I think we are forgetting that Sony has a number of other metrics that we don't have in addition to reviews and sales. Such as average playtime, completion rates etc.

Good point. Sales aren't enough to measure how liked was a game

ironmanDX said:
twintail said:

Agreed but it's what I had at the top of my head.

Tomb raider is a better one. Sold 10 million, square weren't happy. Made a trilody anyway. 

What about the rest of the post?

Another apples to oranges example. Both Mass Effect and Tomb Raider are big existing IPs which could easily continue. Days Gone is a brand new IP. Very big difference. 

There's also no way that 8 million sales means an 8 million userbase, unless you expect everyone who bought the game to be have loved it enough for a sequel, which they may or may not even have bought at full price.

Maybe a DG2 could have been something big. But that pitch was back in 2019 when commercial and critical reception wasn't incredibly hot. With the game having a 6 year development cycle from a studio whose previous console release was a PSP to PS2 port 9 years prior, it's not hard to see why Sony may not have been very gung ho about jumping into a sequel.

Not like it matters: they're working on a new open world IP so Sony clearly has faith that they can deliver with a clean slate.