By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation VR2 | OT | PC support 2024

Tagged games:

https://www.eurogamer.net/playstation-vr2-is-about-to-breathe-new-life-into-virtual-reality-gaming

Wow. Wow, wow, wow. That's the word that keeps springing to mind when I try to sum up my time with PlayStation VR2. As a fervent fan of VR for many years now, it's safe to say that my first hands-on experience with Sony's upcoming headset wowed my VR-loving socks off. This sleek and stylish unit was all I could have wanted for an upgraded PSVR headset and much, much more.

In terms of technological and visual quality, this feels like one of the more memorable generational console leaps. Experiencing the difference in visuals between the PSVR1 and the PSVR2 brought back memories of graduating to the sparkly, sharp, high-definition games of a PS3 after spending years playing games on the PS2 in standard definition.

Even the visuals afforded by my beefy PC VR rig seemed to pale in comparison to some of the wonders I witnessed whilst inside the PSVR2 and you can watch me breathlessly gush over it in the video below.

So what exactly did I find so great about the PlayStation VR 2? What, in my opinion, elevates it above the majority of consumer VR units on the market at the moment. Well, it's honestly hard to know where to start as I was given such a generous amount of time with the PSVR2 that there's a lot to talk about.

https://www.eurogamer.net/playstation-vr2-is-about-to-breathe-new-life-into-virtual-reality-gaming

I'll be getting one (or two) day 1 :)

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/09/16/official-playstation-podcast-episode-439-virtual-impressions/

Sony quietly confirms that PSVR games won't be compatible on PSVR2. Not terribly surprising. 

Hmm that sucks. I don't mind using the old camera and moves to play but would like to use the new headset at least. Maybe the good ones will get a remaster. I haven't played Moss Book 2 yet, was wanting to play that on PSVR2, plus I have some more PSVR games in my library still waiting to be played. At least they run on PS5 :/ Still got to charge those Moves back up then.

I hope the best PSVR1 games get ported.

Especially Astrobot: Rescue Mission, Blood & Truth, Farpoint, Firewall: Zero Hour, Resident Evil 7, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood and Wipeout Omega Collection

The result is probably better when each dev 'remasters' their game for the new controls, sensors and feedback.

There are quite a few hurdles to overcome:

9 buttons on move vs 7 buttons on the new controllers
Many PSVR games use the DS4, DS4/DS5 can't be tracked by the new headset
All the button prompts and floating VR controllers have to be updated
Sharpshooter can't be tracked either
Very likely different barrel distortion on the new headset
Plus whatever voodoo went on with the actual head tracking and reprojection to double 60fps to 120fps.

Some things can be done with a lot of programming and conversion, yet converting things like the barrel distortion might actual lower image quality. It could work, but might not even be as good as playing on the original. The more I think about it, the harder the problem gets! At least with remasters/upgrades the devs can render in higher resolution and update the HUD and menus accordingly without it looking like a blurry mess.

twintail said:

I think really for me the only disappointing part of PSVR1 games not automatically working is that I don't think Sony will bother to update all of their games/ apps for use with it.

I'd love to be surprised. I'd hate for some of their ps4 software to just be sort of 'lost' so to speak.

But at the same time, I doubt it really affects me at all lol.

Either way, it's understandable, and I look forward to seeing what Sony does in the VR space. I'm hoping for a great collection of exclusives and hybrid games.

Considering they keep updating/refreshing their PS4 and older games for the current gen, I wouldn’t be so quick to think they won’t update their PSVR titles as well. The set is coming earlier in the gen than it did for the PS4, so it could be easy money for them to make those games available for the new headset.

Around the Network
twintail said:

I think really for me the only disappointing part of PSVR1 games not automatically working is that I don't think Sony will bother to update all of their games/ apps for use with it.

I'd love to be surprised. I'd hate for some of their ps4 software to just be sort of 'lost' so to speak.

But at the same time, I doubt it really affects me at all lol.

Either way, it's understandable, and I look forward to seeing what Sony does in the VR space. I'm hoping for a great collection of exclusives and hybrid games.

True, one of my favorites was a very niche game that maybe only a few hundred people played, Cavernous Wastes, made by 1 person. I doubt that will ever get updated. However he might make Cavernous Wastes 2 instead :) It doesn't look like it though, very inactive

https://www.pouncingkitten.com/portal/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=34:cw&catid=15&Itemid=132

Its really going to be a budget/money issue. Would you as a developer want to update a game for new hardware or build a new game. It will depend if updating will net sales because development isn't free. The time and resources needed to update a game to a new device many not be worth the amount of time, resources and money it takes to port at least not in the short time frame. Probably the best well received bigger games will see a port as they can pretty much sell it twice but for smaller games not so sure.

I want to go on a big, long rpg adventure in VR. That would be the dream. Final Fantasy all in VR, or something like that.

JuliusHackebeil said:

I want to go on a big, long rpg adventure in VR. That would be the dream. Final Fantasy all in VR, or something like that.

I played Skyrim for 130 hours in PSVR, it was amazing! Twice as long as I spend with it on ps3 when it released.

twintail said:
Machiavellian said:

Its really going to be a budget/money issue. Would you as a developer want to update a game for new hardware or build a new game. It will depend if updating will net sales because development isn't free. The time and resources needed to update a game to a new device many not be worth the amount of time, resources and money it takes to port at least not in the short time frame. Probably the best well received bigger games will see a port as they can pretty much sell it twice but for smaller games not so sure.

I don't think it only comes down to sales. Updating for new hardware can actually be less cost intensive in the long run, since you're giving yourself an opportunity to understand/ use the new hardware in more controlled environment as opposed to learning the new hardware alongside trying to develop a brand new title.

Getting to grips with the hardware with an update could potentially save time, money and headaches over doing the same with a new game. There's also the possibility that a Steam/ Quest version of the game already exists. With PSVR2 being much closer in overall design to other VR devices, there might be less work on the devs side to get certain things working or less time to consider how to make the chances.

There's probably a variety of different situations where it might make less sense to do. But I do agree that the far smaller games might have less chance of being updated. 

Everything is about sales.  Developer time is not free time, they draw a lot of money and the resources they use to do their job is also a cost.  A game company absolutely needs to manage their employees time and working on anything that does not help bring in revenue is a loss leader.  I can see some sort of parallel development depending on priority if a developer can work on porting a game while art, design and other groups are still in the early process of their job but if the devs are not on down time then you go for the money.  Usually studios that cannot properly manage their dev time are the ones to quickly go under or get behind in the game that will make them money they run out of money.  

I agree that their are different stragety models like bundling old and new game, parallel development or even trying to resale old game with new features, graphics etc on the new hardware but sometimes such actions can cause backlash.