By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 51, 2021 - (13th Dec - 19th Dec)

RolStoppable said:
Farsala said:

The Switch's downfall this holiday season is just a little strange to me considering the OLED and Pokemon this year compared to Age of Calamity last year.

OLED this week isn't even bad with it increasing on the week, but the other models are lagging behind now.

I am sure there are some shipment problems, but Nintendo always struggles to supply enough to Japan during the holiday season.

No, it is bad. When you look at the table, you see that the hybrid sold more than 200k units a year ago, so sub-100k supply for OLED this year is without a doubt bad. There are clear shipment problems and they are bigger than initially assumed. November in the USA was down year over year too, so it's not like Nintendo is diverting supply away from Japan to boost overseas sales.

It's becoming increasingly clear that Nintendo calculated with a shipment breakdown of ~10.0m and ~5.6m for fiscal Q3 and Q4, respectively, in order to meet their revised shipment goal. Either that, or something similar to Sony happened to them too. We can see that Sony isn't on track to meet their forecast anymore, a sudden turn of events as in late October they were still sure to make it. Right now there's no choice but to wait until late January to hear from both manufacturers.

I wonder how strong January will be for all three, given the amount of unsatisfied demand.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
src said:
theDX said:

If you think the Wii U is a bad console to compare the PS5 to, why'd you even try to bring up the PS4. 60 million software sales are out of reach with an attach rate of 1.

Yes because attach rates stay constant throughout Playstation life cycles.

I swear some of you can't even accept the basic data conclusions.

coming from someone who says 3=8

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

src said:
Sogreblute said:

And there are still people out there that think PS5 is doing fine in Japan.

Meanwhile back in reality:

• WiiU total software sales: 14,000,000
  • PS4 software sales: 60,000,000 - 70,000,000

Comparing a top 10 when we have total software sales is one way to show how bad you are analysing I guess.

• PS5 has 1M hardware with 0.5-0.75M PS5 physical software units sold means 1-1.5M total software, which is not even including PS4 sales from PS5 owners, F2P games, and units sold overseas.
  • For comparison, PS4 sold 2.2M physical in 2014, so unlike the narrative in this thread, PS5 is not too far from PS4.

trunkswd said:

I know digital sales is much bigger than it was in 2013, but that is painful to see. It feels like Sony just gave up on Japan and is focusing on North America and Europe.

That's factually incorrect as Japan is the number 2/3 region for PS5 shipments and most of Sony's exclusive games/contracts come from Japan.

Meanwhile back in reality: PS4 != PS5

I am sure if you pull a similar TOP 10 for PS4 first year, it looks much better than these pitiful numbers for PS5. VGC at least has 2015 Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain at >400K. Not 72K for the best-selling title.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

src said:
Sogreblute said:

And there are still people out there that think PS5 is doing fine in Japan.

Comparing a top 10 when we have total software sales is one way to show how bad you are analysing I guess.

• PS5 has 1M hardware with 0.5-0.75M PS5 physical software units sold means 1-1.5M total software, which is not even including PS4 sales from PS5 owners, F2P games, and units sold overseas.
  • For comparison, PS4 sold 2.2M physical in 2014, so unlike the narrative in this thread, PS5 is not too far from PS4.

trunkswd said:

I know digital sales is much bigger than it was in 2013, but that is painful to see. It feels like Sony just gave up on Japan and is focusing on North America and Europe.

That's factually incorrect as Japan is the number 2/3 region for PS5 shipments and most of Sony's exclusive games/contracts come from Japan.

In what reality is japan the number 2/3 region for playstation 5 shipments?

The ps5 sold an estimated 540k sales worldwide and less then 10k sales came from Japan?

Kneetos said:
src said:

trunkswd said:

The ps5 sold an estimated 540k sales worldwide and less then 10k sales came from Japan?

He means that Japan is the second- or third-biggest country in shipments after the US and maybe UK.

The interesting part is, that we usually consider Japan as a region. Which goes to show how important for the video game industry Japan as a country is.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 29 December 2021

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
src said:

trunkswd said:

I am sure if you pull a similar TOP 10 for PS4 first year, it looks much better than these pitiful numbers for PS5. VGC at least has 2015 Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain at >400K. Not 72K for the best-selling title.

His own post has a few flaws. He says that PS5 software is not too far from PS4 yet he points out 0.5 - 0.75 mil PS5 physical software has been sold. And at the same time says PS4 physical in 2014 was 2.2 mil. I know he's comparing it to his made up 1-1.5 mil software number where he's guessing digital sales, and doesn't do the same for PS4. Also, the PS4 launched in late Feb. 2014 so throughout 2014 you have 10 months of software sales, so if you want a full year you'll need to include the PS4's Jan. and Feb. 2015 numbers. Also, he says we don't include PS4 sales to PS5 owners. Well if that's true then where's the PS4 software in these charts? Four times this year no PS game made the top 30 and there were a few times where only 1 PS game was in the top 30. The writing is on the wall. The evidence is in front of him and he still denies it.

theDX said:
src said:

Yes because attach rates stay constant throughout Playstation life cycles.

I swear some of you can't even accept the basic data conclusions.

Your "data conclusion" is that the PS5 will sell like the PS4 because it has PlayStation in its name.

Nah, thats just your incorrect interpretation

• PS5 will be getting the same games/franchises as PS4.
  • PS5 is not loosing the AAA gaming side to any competitor for Japanese players or publishers
  • PS4 sold roughly the same hardware and software as PS3. The userbase has stabilised.

Meanwhile your conclusion is nothing but wishful thinking continually based on incomplete or sometimes outright incorrect data.

Mnementh said:
src said:

trunkswd said:

Meanwhile back in reality, we have total software sales for PS4 and now PS5. Try again with the full numbers next time

Kneetos said:

Planet Earth. Where Japan got 1 million shipments faster than any other country bar US.

Sogreblute said:
Mnementh said:

His own post has a few flaws. He says that PS5 software is not too far from PS4 yet he points out 0.5 - 0.75 mil PS5 physical software has been sold. And at the same time says PS4 physical in 2014 was 2.2 mil. I know he's comparing it to his made up 1-1.5 mil software number where he's guessing digital sales, and doesn't do the same for PS4. Also, the PS4 launched in late Feb. 2014 so throughout 2014 you have 10 months of software sales, so if you want a full year you'll need to include the PS4's Jan. and Feb. 2015 numbers. Also, he says we don't include PS4 sales to PS5 owners. Well if that's true then where's the PS4 software in these charts? Four times this year no PS game made the top 30 and there were a few times where only 1 PS game was in the top 30. The writing is on the wall. The evidence is in front of him and he still denies it.

LMAO

PS4 sold 4-5M software in 2021.

https://f.irbank.net/pdf/20211224/140120211222559167.pdf

You guys are still sticking your head in the sand unable to face the reality of market data.

Why are you still using top 10,20,30,100 when we have the entire software totals?

It's not at all certain PS5 will perform like PS4 in Japan.

Let's look at the PS4 itself; it declined from the PS3 despite having mainline Dragon Quest, mainline Monster Hunter, mainline Final Fantasy, and basically the full support of the Japanese third party industry big and small. On paper, PS4 should have sold more than the PS3, but instead it ended up selling less.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 29 December 2021

src said:
theDX said:

Your "data conclusion" is that the PS5 will sell like the PS4 because it has PlayStation in its name.

Nah, thats just your incorrect interpretation

• PS5 will be getting the same games/franchises as PS4.
  • PS5 is not loosing the AAA gaming side to any competitor for Japanese players or publishers
  • PS4 sold roughly the same hardware and software as PS3. The userbase has stabilised.

Meanwhile your conclusion is nothing but wishful thinking continually based on incomplete or sometimes outright incorrect data.

Mnementh said:

Meanwhile back in reality, we have total software sales for PS4 and now PS5. Try again with the full numbers next time

Kneetos said:

Planet Earth. Where Japan got 1 million shipments faster than any other country bar US.

Sogreblute said:

LMAO

PS4 sold 4-5M software in 2021.

https://f.irbank.net/pdf/20211224/140120211222559167.pdf

You guys are still sticking your head in the sand unable to face the reality of market data.

Why are you still using top 10,20,30,100 when we have the entire software totals?

Dude, do you realize that link you shared literally proves that Playstation is declining in Japan? You are providing proof for us why we are right. Like, the chart is RIGHT THERE!

2019: nearly 10 mil software sold (PS4 +PS Vita)
2020: around 7.5 mil software sold (PS4 + PS5)
2021: around 4.5 mil software sold (PS4 + PS5)

To top it all off this is coming from a Falcom presentation, where they say they Playstation has been declining and is one of the reasons their game sales have declined. They are like the "anti-Nintendo" and "pro-Playstation" company, and yet they are now doing inhouse Switch development. If the president of Falcom is saying this then you know it's bad.

curl-6 said:

It's not at all certain PS5 will perform as well as PS4 in Japan.

Let's look at the PS4 itself; it declined from the PS3 despite having mainline Dragon Quest, mainline Monster Hunter, mainline Final Fantasy, and basically the full support of the Japanese third party industry big and small. On paper, PS4 should have sold more than the PS3, but instead it ended up selling less.

Also PS4 launched at a much lower price.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.