By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - (Spoilers) Netflix Witcher season 2 is really pissing me off

It deviates in the way it gets from A to B, and it was always going to be an adaptation that differs from other versions of the story. But the actual journey from A to B isn’t going to differ that much.

But close-minded so-called “purists” were always going to hate it.

Last edited by Hynad - on 21 December 2021

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
HoloDust said:

I've only watched 2 episodes of season 2 so far, and while I liked the 1st episode, 2nd has reestablished how much they don't give a damn about source material.

On the other hand, looking at what Amazon did with Wheel of Time I guess we can be grateful that it's at least not as bad as that one - though I'm genuinely concerned a this point how hard they'll fuck up LotR series, given what they're doing with WoT.

Yeah, same for me, I liked the first episode, but that second episode was real rough for me to watch as a fan of the games, I loved the heck out Vesemir, Eskel, and Lambert in Witcher 3, but I'm just not feeling any of them in this show, and what they did with Eskel was particularly infuriating for me.

I feel like there is overall a pretty poor track record of fantasy book series being turned into film/tv series honestly. LOTR/Hobbit and Harry Potter were great, as they both stuck to the source material as much as they could considering time constraints, and Game of Thrones was great up until that last season at least. But the Eragon movie that Fox did, the Shannara series that MTV did, the Sword of Truth series that ABC did, and now this Wheel of Time series that Amazon is doing are all pretty poor. Witcher at least seems to be passable, but it would be better if they were following the source material more closely in regards to both plot and casting. 

I too am very worried about Amazon's LOTR 2nd Age series, the things I've been hearing about it, from an overly diverse cast (which doesn't match with Tolkien's world, kind of like Netflix's Witcher), to nude sex scenes (something that doesn't belong in Tolkien's world at all, the man was a devout Catholic, I can't imagine he'd ever be ok with nude sex scenes in LOTR). I can't say that I have much hope for LOTR 2nd Age now after seeing what Amazon is doing with Wheel of Time and hearing those rumors about the LOTR series. 

It's not just fantasy, look what they did with Asimov's Foundation. Now to be honest, it still has some great additions (whole genetic dynasty plot and its casting are actually, IMO, the best part of the show), but it does changes books way too much for any Asimov fan to feel comfortable.

I guess the pattern I'm observing is that networks want the fanbase, but they don't have the balls to actually adapt the books as they should be.

This ain’t the books my dude, they have modify and change things by definition when they adapt things. When looking at this show as its own thing, not a continuation or retelling of already told stories, it is great! Took me a while to do that too, as I read a lot of books and always left movies that were adapted mad at what they changed. I have learned to separate the two and I find that I enjoy a lot more adaptations now.

My connection to the Witcher universe was built purely on one game, Witcher 3, so I'm not very strongly attached to Eskel. I did note that his foray in to the TV series was left very short, which was a bit strange, him being one of Geralt's closest friends, but I can live with it. I can totally understand more knowledgeable fans who are pissed off, though.
I enjoyed season 2 very much as a whole, it was more coherent than season 1 and it seemed like they had been given a bump up with the budget as well. The series is beautifully done. Especially Henry Cavill and the girl that plays Ciri are awesome in their roles. Didn't mind the Vesemir they went with, he's good as well. Mark Hamill would have been awesome, but maybe he's a bit too awesome to look past and see the character he's playing at this point.
The race swapping ticks me off, it's so dumb and even disrespectful that European fables and stories just cannot be respected as they are, but there has to be this meddling with identity politics that doesn't make any sense. Even most minorities would rather not have these artificial quotas. People of all backgrounds are completely capable of relating to characters who don't look like them, as long as the characters and the story are well done.
Well, it is what it is at the moment and the show is so well made otherwise, that I'm able to look past the current day crap and enjoy what they are doing.

shikamaru317 said:
hinch said:

The season thus far.. 3 episodes in is that its a dud and quite deflating/disappointing after a long wait and anticipation. The cast outside Gerald and Ciri is a bit pants. Not a massive fan of double downing multi-enthicity cast either, just feels so random and out of place. Feels like they just chose random cast instead of actors that a remotely resemble the characters in the source material and the Slavic locale they belong to. Eh, I guess thats the way with a lot of Netflix shows these days.

I quite liked episode 1, but episode 2 was a massive disappointment to me. The casting for all of the Wolf School Witchers other than Geralt seems bad. Take Vesemir for instance, Mark Hamill wanted to play Vesemir and fans waged a massive campaign to get them to cast Mark Hamill, instead we got this guy who seem kind of meh. Eskel is a total disaster, Lambert and Coen look nothing like they do in the books or games. 

Agreed about the whole multi-racial casting thing. Netflix's requirement that all shows must have a certain number of main cast members who are racial minorities really boogered up everything. Instead of designing some new characters who were POC, they instead changed the races of established character. Hit hardest by this is Fringilla, who was portrayed as a black haired white woman in the books and games, but is instead a very dark skinned black woman in the show. It is extremely offputting for anyone who played the games in particular, every time I see her my brain is like "I don't know who that is but it's not Fringilla". Race swapping and gender swapping characters is such a lazy tactic of modern Hollywood, a cop-out that they find easier than designing new POC and new female characters that are well-written. 

That's not an issue to me, honestly. So long as the actors resemble the characters in personality, why does it matter whether they are white, black or green? I understand that the source material is inspired in Eastern European folklore, but ultimately the work is set in a fictitious world, not in Eastern Europe. Reminds me when they announced the Powerpuff Girl live-action show several months ago and a lot of people complained that Professor Utonium was black. 

Aside from that, Netflix fulfilling quotas of actors of certain ethnicities is embarrassing and downright bad. That's where I totally agree. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

I thought only Geralt had yellow eyes because he was able to handle more of the chemicals during the trial of the grasses? 

gergroy said:

This ain’t the books my dude, they have modify and change things by definition when they adapt things. When looking at this show as its own thing, not a continuation or retelling of already told stories, it is great! Took me a while to do that too, as I read a lot of books and always left movies that were adapted mad at what they changed. I have learned to separate the two and I find that I enjoy a lot more adaptations now.

I didn't read the books or play any of the games, and I think it is pretty bad.

It sounds like if they did follow the books, I would dislike it even more though.

My only issue is I wish Netflix would not land on just 8 episodes. Do 13 like cable. Is that so hard?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

My only issue is I wish Netflix would not land on just 8 episodes. Do 13 like cable. Is that so hard?

They used to do 13 for things like Daredevil and the like back in the day, but everyone complained that 13 felt like too much padding back then, so over time they’ve shortened their seasons of original content down.

His implementation really sucked especially because it was so damn short but I didn't feel like he really was an asshole in the show. After Geralt killed him they had that short scene when he thought back about the old time with him telling him to train more. In that scene he was a nice dude and it showed how close and important they were to each other even walking away arm in arm. I felt like he only was an asshole after he got stung which not only transformed his body but also his mind. Not sure why not everyone felt like that who watched the show.

But yeah, too bad he was only in the show for so little time and most of it was showing him as asshole after he got stung. That's why they fucked it up, not because he was an ass after his fight. 

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 24 December 2021