By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - (Spoilers) Netflix Witcher season 2 is really pissing me off

Never played TW3. Just 1-2 and hated them. Never read the books or saw The Hexen. Liking the show so *shrug*

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Boy you must have been outraged about the hobbit

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

The season thus far.. 3 episodes in is that its a dud and quite deflating/disappointing after a long wait and anticipation. The cast outside Gerald and Ciri is a bit pants. Not a massive fan of double downing multi-enthicity cast either, just feels so random and out of place. Feels like they just chose random cast instead of actors that a remotely resemble the characters in the source material and the Slavic locale they belong to. Eh, I guess thats the way with a lot of Netflix shows these days.

Last edited by hinch - on 19 December 2021

100% agree about the race swapping being awful. and ugh, atleast they did give "Triss" more reddish chestnut hair this season. But she still looks awful

shikamaru317 said:

I quite liked episode 1, but episode 2 was a massive disappointment to me. The casting for all of the Wolf School Witchers other than Geralt seems bad. Take Vesemir for instance, Mark Hamill wanted to play Vesemir and fans waged a massive campaign to get them to cast Mark Hamill, instead we got this guy who seem kind of meh. Eskel is a total disaster, Lambert and Coen look nothing like they do in the books or games. 

Agreed about the whole multi-racial casting thing. Netflix's requirement that all shows must have a certain number of main cast members who are racial minorities really boogered up everything. Instead of designing some new characters who were POC, they instead changed the races of established character. Hit hardest by this is Fringilla, who was portrayed as a black haired white woman in the books and games, but is instead a very dark skinned black woman in the show. It is extremely offputting for anyone who played the games in particular, every time I see her my brain is like "I don't know who that is but it's not Fringilla". Race swapping and gender swapping characters is such a lazy tactic of modern Hollywood, a cop-out that they find easier than designing new POC and new female characters that are well-written. 

Ep 1 was fine yeah. And wth.. Mark Hamil would have made a great Vesemir.

And wow is that really a thing? Really can't stand forced diversity in films and media. Like if someone is genuinely a great actor/actress and fits the role perfectly I don't have a problem. Its when directors start deviating so far from original material as when I have a issue. And that's not even looking at the writing and dialogue, which is quite frankly pretty bad. The dialect and the way the characters speak so modern, its almost like watching some cosplayers dressing up. Its just jarring, and takes me out of it.

And yeah hated the way they handled Eskel's character in this. If it weren't for the decent action and Henry Cavil I probably would have dropped this but here we are lol.

Spoiler!
Also you have modern inclusion stuff like the deaf elf and his sign languages (lol)

had me roll my eyes and then some. Not trying to be a dick, but come on.

Around the Network

I never played the Witcher games or read the books, so I went in blind.

Season 1 was okay, 2nd half of season 1 was worse but it allowed me to watch Season 2....

Season 2 is pretty trash to be honest. I eye rolled quite a bit when the classic derived tv trope came on, which may or may not be in the books. But basically this:

Minor spoilers.

Spoiler!
Yen- I like power at all costs
Geralt- I love you
Yen- I will now sacrifice someone for power.
Geralt- OMG How could you? I hate you.

I'm still enjoying it, personally. I've never read the books, but I assume CDPR took certain liberties with various characters and events, and from what I know of the games, the show is going in different directions with some things as well. But the important thing for me is that the tone of the world, and the main characters feels consistent with what I loved about the games, and I do feel that is the case so far. Except for Yen hugging Jaskier/Dandelion lol. I'm not certain that's something Yen would do under any circumstances in the games.

But yea, by and large, I think that Geralt, Yen, and Ciri are all portrayed exactly as they should be. The world, and it's politics are as they should be. The production values seem to have taken a step up this season, which is nice. Killing Eskel...I thought it was weird, since his presence in Witcher 3 had me assuming he survived the books as well, so if that's the case, I'm not sure why the writers would go out of their way to kill him specifically instead of some random Witcher nobody knows...but at the end of the day, I can't claim to have any particular attachment to Eskel, since his role in the games is a fairly small one, and is easily replaceable imo. If I had to guess, I'd assume they'll have his role be filled by Coen, so they can have a bit more diversity in the Witchers. I could imagine them weighing the backlash of racebending another character, vs killing off said character in favor of another, and chose the later. Idk. Just speculation. As I said, I don't particularly care about Eskel, and the actor that played him (albeit it briefly), didn't really move me either.

Vesemir I think is portrayed well. He's not exactly the Vesemir from the games, but he makes a lot of sense as an older version of the Vesemir they set up with the animated movie they did about his younger self. I quite enjoyed that story - even though the action was a bit over the top, but I guess that goes with the animated territory to some extent - and it would have been a little weird in their version of the character if he had transitioned completely into the mellow, super calm, super grand-dad like figure we see in Witcher 3. Still, the core of his character remains the same I think. He cares deeply about his family, which is the remaining Witchers. He would clearly do anything to help them. You could argue that some of the actions he's willing to take with Ciri are out of pocket, but he's only just met her. Yes, Geralt obviously cares about her, and that does mean something to him, but she's not the family he's been protecting and fighting for all his life. The Vesemir we see in Witcher 3 had already spent way more time with Ciri, and would already see her as part of his clan by then.

I am a bit curious where they're going with the Wild Hunt in the show. The Witchers clearly believe that Voleth Meir is a demon, and this does line up logically with a lot of what she does....but then at the end, when transported back her realm, she turns into a rider of the Hunt. So...are the Hunt not Aen Elle in the show? Or were the Witchers simply wrong about the nature of Voleth Meir? Or do the Hunt take other beings into their ranks? That was confusing to me, so I need to see where they go with that. Also, if that's Voleth Meir's home realm, and by extension, potentially the Hunt's home realm...why is it a desert instead of a frozen wasteland? Again, gotta wait and see how they expand upon all that.

Overall though, still very much pleased with the show.

I've only watched 2 episodes of season 2 so far, and while I liked the 1st episode, 2nd has reestablished how much they don't give a damn about source material.

On the other hand, looking at what Amazon did with Wheel of Time I guess we can be grateful that it's at least not as bad as that one - though I'm genuinely concerned a this point how hard they'll fuck up LotR series, given what they're doing with WoT.

Enjoyed season 2. Like most shows like the Witcher (based off some other source material) everyone who didn't readplay the source material enjoyed it and everyone who did play the gamesread the books hated it. That's pretty much been the exact split in my group. I only played Witcher 2 and some of 3 because I hated 3.

Guess that's me out then. I already thought season 1 wasn't all that great, not gonna bother with this. Remove from list.