By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 50, 2021 - (6th Dec - 12th Dec)

Otter said:

Well actually I lie, the objective points are
1. PS5 tracking ahead of PS4

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:

Oh yeah, the Sony decline that started with the PS3 but Nintendo users think it started with the Switch.

I haven't seen anyone say it started with the Switch, so this seems like a strawman.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 December 2021

Also Splatton 2 tops 4 million (it has 2 skus)

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

I haven't seen anyone say it started with the Switch, so this seems like a strawman.

Not to mention that the Sony decline didn't start with the PS3 because during the same generation Sony sold 20m PSPs. The Sony decline started with the Vita which, ironically, is a handheld.

It definitely started with PS3 (or post PS2).

PSP + PS3 combined have sold less software than PS2 in Japan.

People tend to look at PSP hardware sales without being aware that it sold less software than PS3 in Japan.

PSV is just the lowest point reached until now by the PlayStation brand in Japan, which is a hard proof that's patently stupid to put on every responsibility to the form factor without looking at the software side.

In general it's a rookie mistake to only analyze only the hardware sales when guaging the trends in a market.

PS1/PS2 were the dominant force in Japan because they had about 60% of the total software sales.

Nintendo comeback in Japan began for real when DS alone accounted for over 54% of the software sales in 2006 (and Nintendo platforms overal over 62%).

It's not a coincidence that since 2006, every year the Nintendo ecosystem has sold more software than the PlayStation ecosystem, bar one exception.

Finally the true leader in Japan that emerged with renewed strength since the mid 2000s is Nintendo because their first-party software gained more popularity while third-party software largely declined.

curl-6 said:
Otter said:

Well actually I lie, the objective points are
1. PS5 tracking ahead of PS4

Yeah, I forgot that the abysmal stock the last few weeks gave up that lead. I suspect post Xmas, some point in the spring we'll see return to PS5 outpacing PS4 in total sales. Lets see

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Endymion said:

It definitely started with PS3 (or post PS2).

PSP + PS3 combined have sold less software than PS2 in Japan.

People tend to look at PSP hardware sales without being aware that it sold less software than PS3 in Japan.

PSV is just the lowest point reached until now by the PlayStation brand in Japan, which is a hard proof that's patently stupid to put on every responsibility to the form factor without looking at the software side.

In general it's a rookie mistake to only analyze only the hardware sales when guaging the trends in a market.

PS1/PS2 were the dominant force in Japan because they had about 60% of the total software sales.

Nintendo comeback in Japan began for real when DS alone accounted for over 54% of the software sales in 2006 (and Nintendo platforms overal over 62%).

It's not a coincidence that since 2006, every year the Nintendo ecosystem has sold more software than the PlayStation ecosystem, bar one exception.

Finally the true leader in Japan that emerged with renewed strength since the mid 2000s is Nintendo because their first-party software gained more popularity while third-party software largely declined.

If the Sony decline is about software, then it started with the PS2 as the PS1 sold ~240m units and the PS2 only ~220m. That's followed up by the PS3 and PSP combining for ~160m. These are the tallies that VGC has put together for these platforms.

PS4 and PSV totals are incomplete on VGC because software tracking stopped altogether before these platforms reached the end of their lifecycles, but they combine for a notably lower total than the PS3 and PSP anyway. I'll just throw out ~100m for the sake of having a number.

This generation Sony should be happy if the PS5 reaches ~50m. That would be the third 50m+ decline in software sales in a row, in a history of perpetual decline in software sold for the PS business.

Instead of calling this the "Sony decline", it might be more accurate to call it the "PS1 fad".  After all Nintendo systems have been the most popular in Japan going back to the Famicom and Super Famicom.  Then the "PS1 fad" hit, which was Sony's peak, and since then Nintendo has been reclaiming it's dominance.

However, with the Switch, Nintendo is now doing better than it has ever done before.  I don't think there is another week in Famitsu's history where Nintendo systems had 99% of the hardware and every title in the top 30.  Not even the Famicom was that dominant.  The "Sony fad" is being completely overshadowed by Nintendo's unprecedented success.

kazuyamishima said:
Kneetos said:

Well if you want to count all sony consoles in japan it technically started with the psp

It always makes me laugh when people say that japan is handheld focused only and that japan would be back to Sony if they released a psp 2, when in actuality, even when Sony made handheld, they still sold less than nintendo handheld.

Point is, Nintendo is just more popular in japan then Sony is

They always have been more than Sony, and since the Gameboy, Nintendo handhelds (Gameboy Advance the exception) have dominated Japan. 

Switch isn't just a handheld though; even in Japan the hybrid models outsell the handheld-only Lite despite being more expensive.

There's something I'm curious about the Switch software sales: did Nintendo ever release digital numbers for their Switch sales specifically for Japan? Are there any estimates for Switch digital sales in that region specifically?

Katsumi-san said:

There's something I'm curious about the Switch software sales: did Nintendo ever release digital numbers for their Switch sales specifically for Japan? Are there any estimates for Switch digital sales in that region specifically?

We compare retail and sell through with overall shipments to get a rough idea for digital sales. Like ACNH should be close to 7100k retail by end of year and if sales are 9800k by Nintendo report then we can assume digital is in the ballpark of 2500k-2600k

What was last year's number?