By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November NPD 2021 thread

Would it be reasonable to expect that the Series S outsold the Series X and both PS5 SKUs combined for the month of November in the US? Again, this is anecdotal, but it seemed to be the only console SKU besides the switch in stock anywhere for any amount of time

Around the Network

Woah this is abysmal for ps5 and is not good for the other 2 either. I know December for ninty is usually better but the other 2 sell less in December so it's entirely possible December since for ps5 and Xse like it hasn't in years

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

For all intents and purposes it seems like there wasn’t a Black Friday this year for PlayStation.

I’m assuming Xbox is still pretty far behind PS in 2021 US sales though?

trunkswd said:
aTokenYeti said:

For all intents and purposes it seems like there wasn’t a Black Friday this year for PlayStation.

That is what it looks like. It also means adjustments downwards in Europe as well based on all the information we have.

PS5 is ahead of Xbox Series X|S in the US for the year. Our 2021 estimates have PS5 at 3.4m and XS at 3.0m.

Probably too late for Xbox to catch PlayStation in the US but this seems like a solid rally for the year 

aTokenYeti said:

On Black Friday I asked a Gamestop employee if he had consoles available.  He said he had Series S and that was it, although he did have a few Switches right when they opened.  I would assume this encapsulates what Black Friday stock was like for the US in general: no PS5 or Series X, a limited number of Switch, and plenty of Series S.

Around the Network

While Series X/PS5 may fall behind temporarily, the demand for the next gen systems is significantly higher than it was for the PS4/Xbox One launch aligned, I wouldn't be surprised to see the current gen consoles make up ground and take the lead before March 2022.

Yes. Yeeees. YEEEEEES!!!! Muwhahaha!!! The more the Switch declines the closer we are to Switch 2! Come on, keep falling so we can get modern hardware in 2023. DO IT! MUWHAHAHA!!!!!!!

RolStoppable said:

Switch was estimated to be 1.35m last November, so 1.13m this year isn't that much of a deficit despite coming unexpected at this size. Japan was down ~100k during November while Europe was up, so globally it isn't too much of a difference compared to last year's November. Certainly not enough to be concerned about Nintendo's shipment goal for the rest of the fiscal year, for which we still have to wonder how much is going into fiscal Q3 and Q4 individually.

The PS5, however, is not looking like it can keep pace with Sony's stated goal of matching the PS4 launch-aligned through March 2022. Significantly behind the PS4's November in the USA, atrocious numbers in Japan and not doing well in the UK during Black Friday week, although this does not rule out the UK's November sales were still good overall. A hard shift towards Europe as a whole in shipment allocations can't be ruled out entirely, but it seems unlikely when the USA is the clear leader in tie ratio and online subscriptions, so that's where the most money can be made.

For Xbox we have no reference points of how much Microsofted intended to ship, so we can't say anything for sure in relation to their goal.

Yea exactly. The Switch is underperforming a bit but it is honestly not alarming. Thing is, Sony's PS5 not taking off and Series S being the only next gen model available bundling that with Forza and Halo is a great turnaround for Microsoft. I feel like after the holiday season the two consoles will be fairly close. Microsoft really started the gen badly again with barely any games so they needed that. It's more of a luck factor but eh, this industry is so unpredictable and anything can happen. 

Dulfite said:

Yes. Yeeees. YEEEEEES!!!! Muwhahaha!!! The more the Switch declines the closer we are to Switch 2! Come on, keep falling so we can get modern hardware in 2023. DO IT! MUWHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I feel like the opposite will happen. Since this is clearly due to shortage, the fact they are selling out all stocks without barely lifting a finger almost going in year 6 is insane. I doubt Nintendo will want to launch in a market that is unsure if they will get their units or not. They are early enough in the rollout for their next gen to just decide to wait a little more before releasing it imo

Dulfite said:

You're probably right. November 2022 will probably a little bit down further from this so I don't think they will want three straight holiday seasons of decline even if sales are healthy overall. 

October-November 2023 makes a lot of sense, will be a full 2 years post-OLED model, so Switch Lite/Mariko Switch fall 2019, OLED model fall 2021, makes the next model iteration for fall 2023. All seperated by two years. 

Depends on the chip shortage situation though but I think by late 2023 that will start to ease. 

On the broader topic, Playstation 5 ... I think so many people want one but no one can actually find any in stock. I've never seen a unit just sitting on a storeshelf in the year+ it's been out. By this time you could find a PS4 pretty easily even if it was a hot item. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 13 December 2021