By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November NPD 2021 thread

Dulfite said:
zorg1000 said:

The problem is assuming Nintendo planned a 5-6 year console cycle when they have explicitly stated otherwise.

No, they are saying it now with vague wording that could easily be misinterpreted. And they started the midlife terms over a year ago, I think early 2020. If they normally have a 6 year cycle, the 2020 would be year 3 starting in March and 2021 would be year 4, both of which fall in the middle two years of a 6 year cycle. Nothing new there.

Also, you really think from the start, back in 2017, when historically they always had roughly 6 year cycles, and coming off a bomb in the Wii U that was only out 4.5 years before being replaced, that they had the audacity to assume Switch would sell so well that they knew from that point they wouldn't launch the successor until a year or two later than they usually do? They would have had no reason to be that confident after Wii U.

I don’t have time at the moment to look up the quotes but I’m pretty sure they have been saying it for at least a few years now and possibly as far back as the “NX” days in 2014/2015 about wanting to redefine what a typical console generation is.

With this year looking to be a 25+ million year and next year being a 20+ million year with a stacked lineup, I just don’t see the need for new hardware in 2023.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Still great numbers for the Switch, the decline from last year's November is not even that big , definitely not getting replaced anytime soon.

The PS5 shortages are something else though.

Dulfite said:
zorg1000 said:

The problem is assuming Nintendo planned a 5-6 year console cycle when they have explicitly stated otherwise.

No, they are saying it now with vague wording that could easily be misinterpreted. And they started the midlife terms over a year ago, I think early 2020. If they normally have a 6 year cycle, the 2020 would be year 3 starting in March and 2021 would be year 4, both of which fall in the middle two years of a 6 year cycle. Nothing new there.

Excuse me but your math has failed you.

March 2017 - March 2018 = year 1

March 2018 - March 2019 = year 2

March 2019 - March 2020 = year 3

March 2020 - March 2021 = year 4

March 2021 - March 2022 = year 5

2020 was not the third but the fourth year.

I Am Defeated