By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November NPD 2021 thread

So it was a big undertrack for EU but now a big overtrack for USA so in the end it looks like it will basically even out? lol

If PS5+XSX is really "barely more" than 1.15m that would be horrifying. Can only hope that somehow PS5+XSX were undertracked outside of USA just like Switch.

All round a terrible November, hope next year supply is sorted. Can only hope 

Edit: Switch was adjusted up by 139k after Europe PR, but now looks like a 266k overtrack in USA.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 13 December 2021

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Zippy6 said:

So it was a big undertrack for EU but now a big overtrack for USA so in the end it looks like it will basically even out? lol

If PS5+XSX is really "barely more" than 1.15m that would be horrifying. Can only hope that somehow PS5+XSX were undertracked outside of USA just like Switch.

All round a terrible November, hope next year supply is sorted. Can only hope 

Edit: Switch was adjusted up by 139k after Europe PR, but now looks like a 266k overtrack in USA.

I would not have called Switch being down so much in the US, while it was up so much in Europe.

It looks like PS5 had the bigger overtrack than Xbox Series. PS5 in the US was #1 in terms of dollars for 2021 through October, but the Switch has overtook it. I am trying to figure out of the ~1.15m for XS and PS5 combined how much of that is Xbox and how much is PS5.

Trying to complete a jigsaw with only one of the pieces not an enviable task. Regardless of the PS5/Xbox split there's no denying that November USA sales have been a disaster on all fronts, and we desperately need the new shipment numbers for December 31st lol.

trunkswd said:

This also likely means a good chance we overtracked PS5 (and possibly Xbox Series) in Europe. It is almost looking like PS5 got next to zero boost for Black Friday week.

Hmmm, but if we didn't have the PR from Nintendo we might have been saying "a good chance Switch is overtracked in Europe" after this NPD numbers. So I'm not sure, I can't imagine PS5/XSX shipments are so low. But we will find out eventually!

This was to some degree expected, right? Anecdotally I had multiple friends try and get consoles from all 3 manufacturers and all of them came away empty handed. I also walked past a few electronics retailers that had signs up in their windows saying they wouldn’t be carrying any consoles for Black Friday and directed customers to their website

Supply issues spoil the Holiday season fun for us (I'm guessing even more for the big 3). Maybe December will pick up the slack?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
aTokenYeti said:

This was to some degree expected, right? Anecdotally I had multiple friends try and get consoles from all 3 manufacturers and all of them came away empty handed. I also walked past a few electronics retailers that had signs up in their windows saying they wouldn’t be carrying any consoles for Black Friday and directed customers to their website

We knew there were supply issues but I don't think anyone expected it quite to this degree. PS5+XSX had been readily outpacing their predecessors before this, but they just can't get the numbers for the holiday.

PS4+XBO NOV 2014 = 2.06m
PS5+XSX NOV 2021 = 1.15m

That is absurd.

Plus Switch having it's best BF ever in Europe kind of didn't expect a 17% drop YoY for November in the USA. At this point even my 26-26.5m prediction for Switch 2021 sales looks like a pipe dream.

The end to this chip shortage can't come soon enough.

Switch should be getting out of the holiday season not too badly. But this is really bad for Xbox and PS. Especially the PS5 if it didn’t even get enough to outsell the SX. The general public doesn’t always care and just like to play on the console their friends have. So if the PS5 is never available…

Confirmation that Xbox series was #2 but no concrete numbers of course

If PlayStation sold less than 500k in November this would be their worst month since the horrible ps3 struggles.

mM

Tbh this may be the worst November Sony has had in the hardware front since the ps1. I’m talking they have sold million to millions in November with PS2/ PSP / PS4 on the market but they barely did 500k really? They can’t even produce ps4’s?

mM