By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Black Friday Week Sales - Switch Tops 97M, PS5 15M, XS 10M

kirby007 said:

*Note, we reduced our originally reported Q1 2021 Xbox Series X|S sell-through data based on additional market intelligence

Heh seems like your beloved ampere adjusts their data. Thus this infallible believe can be laid to rest
You know just use nextgenwars.com they adjust their data each time a sale is made

Nextgenwars... 

Oh my... Good times.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
Norion said:

This is gonna be the first year since 2012 that hardware combined is over 50 million. There has been a nice rebound the past few years since it went under 40 million in 2016.

I'd imagine next year will be even bigger. Series and PS5 will really start popping, offsetting Switch decrease due to being in its 6th year, then you have the Steam Deck launch, which if we track will make the numbers even bigger. It is basically a console since it has games that other three can't play (PC exclusives, regardless of how they say the have no excuses, they have them). I'd imagine we would have tracked PC sales just like other console sales if we could get data on gaming PC sales. I'd imagine the steam deck sales will be easier to track than general computer sales.

Yeah 2022 could be another year over 50 million though I think the total for it will be close to 2021 unless the Switch's decline is minimal since a decline of say 4 million for it and legacy consoles declining by like 2 million could be tough to offset. Tracking the Steam Deck would be interesting but Valve's current manufacturing capabilities combined with the chip shortage might prevent them from selling much more than a couple million of them the first year. 

@trunkswd 

Yes Aostia just posted the official PR on their website, and a full translation on IB.  EDIT: Everyone on IB says EU = Europe and not European Union, so dropping my inquiry there lol.

https://www.switchitalia.it/2021/12/08/vendite-record-in-italia-e-in-europa-per-nintendo-switch/

Translated quote below:

In the week of November 22nd, in Italy and Europe Nintendo Switch had its biggest week ever since launch in terms of weekly hardware unit sold.

On the market since March 2017 and ready to enter its 6th year of life, the Nintendo Switch console - that now includes Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Lite and the Nintendo Switch OLED model - in the week of November 22nd beat the record previously set in Europe on November 2019. THe best selling SKU for hardware was the limited edition bundle including Nintendo Switch, a download code for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and three months of subscription to the Nintendo Switch Online service.

In Europe, during November 2021, there have also been two record-setting weeks for Nintendo Switch software. During the week of November 15th more Nintendo Switch games have been sold than any other previous week of its life cycle so far, record beaten the week after once again. This has been possible thansks to the succesfull launch of Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl on November 19 that, together, were able to sell more than 6 millions of copies worldwide, during their debut weekend.

Last edited by mk7sx - on 08 December 2021

Looks legit enough then. But then the question of where is the stock coming from comes up and if Switch is heavily undertracked for BF maybe it's been overtracked by VGC for previous weeks. We already know Nintendo plan on shipping less units this quarter than last year and Switch has been having stock issues.

They shouldn't have the stock to sell this many units.

They plan on shipping 600k less in Q3/Q4 and they've been selling out in all regions since at least October meaning they didn't have built up inventory for BF.

Zippy6 said:

Looks legit enough then. But then the question of where is the stock coming from comes up and if Switch is heavily undertracked for BF maybe it's been overtracked by VGC for previous weeks. We already know Nintendo plan on shipping less units this quarter than last year and Switch has been having stock issues.

They shouldn't have the stock to sell this many units.

They plan on shipping 600k less in Q3/Q4 and they've been selling out in all regions since at least October meaning they didn't have built up inventory for BF.

We know that for the half, not the quarter.  Their most recent forecast was 15.7M for Q3+Q4 this year, vs 16.3M achieved last year.  That 500K shortage could be in any manner across the two quarters (lower both quarters, lower Q3, lower Q4).

We could also be gearing up for shortages in Dec as a result of this (instead of lower sales in early Nov).

Or they're manufacturing above what they forecasted.  It could be any of the above really...  Won't know for sure until numbers come through.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
mk7sx said:

We know that for the half, not the quarter.  Their most recent forecast was 15.7M for Q3+Q4 this year, vs 16.3M achieved last year.  That 500K shortage could be in any manner across the two quarters (lower both quarters, lower Q3, lower Q4).

We could also be gearing up for shortages in Dec as a result of this (instead of lower sales in early Nov).

Or they're manufacturing above what they forecasted.  It could be any of the above really...  Won't know for sure until numbers come through.

I'm glad Nintendo releases their quarterly shipment figures, so we have a decent enough of an idea every 3 months how our estimates stand up. I try my best to have our numbers as accurate as possible with the limited data available.

Agreed.

Related, they will probably also give us a PR for the 100M threshold to be crossed likely later this month. That may clarify timeframe a bit (although their HW sell-through figures tend to be ultra conservative in threshold and wording).

Pokémon BD/SP sold 6mil first week. Didn't see anything about it here yet.

Kakadu18 said:

Pokémon BD/SP sold 6mil first week. Didn't see anything about it here yet.

There really is no way to boycott The Pokemon Co through sales, isn't there? If even a poor efford like this is going to reach 10m before the end of the month, why would they ever need to change things?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

There was also this from Chris last week on Dec 1.  

Must say I'm still wary of the "best ever week in Europe". Why are only a couple of tiny websites reporting it? Why do none of them give a source other than "Through a statement Nintendo announced" where is that statement? Why are these websites getting the information from Nintendo before major outlets like Eurogamer?

Not saying it's not true, just not sure why these tiny websites have this information about Europe sales apparently directly from Nintendo themselves and no one else has it yet?

Websites reporting it:

Record-breaking Nintendo Switch in Italy in black Friday week: more consoles sold than any other week since launch - GamingTalker

Vendite record in Italia e in Europa per Nintendo Switch – Switch Italia

Black Friday record per Switch: Pokémon Diamante Lucente e Perla Splendente oltre 6 milioni di copie - News Nintendo Switch | Console-Tribe

Nintendo Switch, record sales in Italy and Europe in the week of Black Friday (videogiocare.it)

I still think it's legit but I find it all very weird lol.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 08 December 2021