By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Black Friday Week Sales - Switch Tops 97M, PS5 15M, XS 10M

Jumpin said:

Reminds me a little of 2009 with the Wii, although the situations and reasons are different. With the Wii, 2008 was its strongest year, but Autumn 2009 was its strongest quarter overall. It’s looking like it might be that with the Switch.

Although, schedule-wise, 2022 is feeling more like 2009. Wii’s most robust year of software releases and feature expansions was 2009, and 2022 is feeling like it’s going to be Switch’s.

If Switch is like Wii over an X2 elongated timeframe, it means that guy is right… Switch will hit a cliff sometime around 2025 or 2026 :(

In all seriousness, though, the cliff prediction didn’t happen. It was supposed to occur in mid-2019, now we’re about to enter 2022. The guy kept pushing back the date again and again. The reasoning turned from “Switch can still flop” to “it’s inevitable Switch will see sales decline” just to soften the blow on the fact that Switch didn’t flop… rather, it’s destined for the top 3, and has a decent shot at becoming the top selling dedicated video game system in history. The DS is the only system ever that maintained this high level of demand beyond the 100m mark, even PS2 coasted in the ~12-15 m range past this point - it just kept it up for years into the Wii generation. DS could have kept going too, it’s like Nintendo just told us one day “no more DS games, everything’s on 3DS now”

That wasn’t really a cliff for DS, it was manufactured attempt to transfer sales to their next handheld.

There are many reasons the PS2 has as high of sales as it did. Extended life, price, it being the cheapest dvd player one could get for a while, the PS3 tanking out of the gate due to price, decline of Sega, Xbox not doing well out the gate, GameCube bombing, and more. This is why I put an * by their sales numbers. It would have sold tens of millions less if not for a bunch of coincidentally amazing things going its way.

Around the Network

@Jumpin Correct, but I wasn't talking in terms of sales. I was talking in terms of the quality of the titles. I feel like Wii 2010 had higher quality games than Wii 2009, much like how Switch 2022 is shaping up to have higher quality software than Switch 2021.

Also, 2010 was 2 years after the Wii's peak and saw lower sales than 2009. This is similar to how 2022 is 2 years after Switch's peak (safe to say 2020 was the peak at this point), so that is another similarity (though obviously the drops Switch has experienced are much lower than the Wii's drops).

Yeah in terms of software at least Switch's 2022 looks more like Wii's 2010; bursting at the seams with quality content. That year still holds the record for the most games I've ever bought both for one system and overall.

Kakadu18 said:
Torpoleon said:

@Jumpin Wouldn't Wii 2010 be more similar to Switch 2022 software-wise? I do agree that Wii 2009 is similar to Switch 2021 sales-wise though.

Wii 2010 had Super Mario Galaxy 2, Xenoblade Chronicles (although not in all regions yet and it sold below 1mil, so not really a big release), Kirby's Epic Yarn and DKC Returns. What other notable releases did the Wii have in 2010? Thus far Switch 2022 looks to have a way stronger line up and many games that are going to release haven't been revealed yet.

Monster Hunter Tri outside Japan, Goldeneye 007 reboot, COD Black Ops, Sonic Colours, Disney Epic Mickey, Sonic All Stars Racing, Sin & Punishment 2, No More Heroes 2, Red Steel 2, Tatsunoko vs Capcom...

At this stage, it's easily a match for what we know of 2022 in my opinion.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 December 2021

Kakadu18 said:
Torpoleon said:

@Jumpin Wouldn't Wii 2010 be more similar to Switch 2022 software-wise? I do agree that Wii 2009 is similar to Switch 2021 sales-wise though.

Wii 2010 had Super Mario Galaxy 2, Xenoblade Chronicles (although not in all regions yet and it sold below 1mil, so not really a big release), Kirby's Epic Yarn and DKC Returns. What other notable releases did the Wii have in 2010? Thus far Switch 2022 looks to have a way stronger line up and many games that are going to release haven't been revealed yet.

There was also Metroid, Wii Party & Mario All Stars. But it was also probably the best year in terms of 3rd party support as well.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

trunkswd said:
New LT totals through Nov 2021:
NS: 96,936,312
PS5: 15,276,602
XS: 9,860,287
Overall worldwide changes:
NS: -180,000
PS5: -471,400
XS: -228,700

So it sounds like the NSW will pass 100M sell-through in the present week (12/12 - 12/19).  Dunno when Nintendo would want to put out a PR, but the 100Mth console will probably be sold in the next few days.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
mk7sx said:

So it sounds like the NSW will pass 100M sell-through in the present week (12/12 - 12/19).  Dunno when Nintendo would want to put out a PR, but the 100Mth console will probably be sold in the next few days.

Don't forget that Nintendo's estimated sell-through figure lags behind shipments by about 5m units by now, so it will definitely take longer than on VGC to see a 100m figure.

Yeah, its likely coming after Christmas.  There are regions they do not have sound retail tracking for, and their PR reporting threshold simply treats those regions as >0 but no higher.

trunkswd said:

While I am coming up with rough estimates for week ending December 4 I am not confident enough in them. Right now I plan to wait for Spain numbers to give us an idea for mainland Europe and hopefully Chris from GamesIndustry will give us some sort of idea soon.

MediaCreate Chris at IB expects hefty December supply, and we've got lots of anecdotes that JP is getting flooded with OLED stock this past week, so signs are looking up there (and last week's result trended accordingly).  So that may be one market covered.  

These adjustments are effing nuts. lol

Shortages hurt PS5 worse than NS and XS.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!