By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Black Friday Week Sales - Switch Tops 97M, PS5 15M, XS 10M

P1. Nintendo Spain in which it is specified that the hybrid console has achieved its best month of November since its premiere
P2. and that has also broken a new record in terms of its sales at a European level.
P3. The Nintendo Switch family, made up of the standard model, Switch Lite and Switch OLED, has registered its best hardware sales in the week of Black Friday in its history, far exceeding the previous record registered last November 2019.

jfc could this be worded anymore dubious
P3 refers towards P2 fully, but does "has registered its best hardware sales in the week of Black Friday in its history" also refer to P1?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Well I tried to get data from 2019/2020 for the rest of November to see if the 35k for BF could be accurate while still having the best November ever.

Nov 28th - 35,000?
Nov 21st - 11,350
Nov 14th - 13,400
Nov 7th - 8,800

Nov 29th - 48,500
Nov 22nd - 12,000
Nov 15th - ~10k
Nov 8th - ~10k
(Couldn't find numbers for nov 8th/15th from Vandal just an article from them for nov 8th that said "about 10k weekly" for switch)

Dec 1st (BF was 29th) - 54,900
Nov 24th - 8,800
Nov 17th - 6,750
Nov 10th - 5,700

2021 = 68,550
2020 = ~80,500
2019 = 76,150

There are of course a few days missing, Cyber Monday was Nov 30th this year while it was in December in 2019/2020, no idea how big an impact that has. But there is at least 8k to find, or more depending on what those 2020 (~10k) figures actually are.

I tend to think the biggest reason Switch is doing well in Europe is because they actually had stock available going into Black Friday.  Relatively speaking Europe is Switch's weakest territory, but they are breaking Black Friday and/or November records there

I strongly suspect Switch would have been breaking records everywhere if supply were plentiful.  This actually could have been Switch's peak year.  However, I haven't seen Switches on the shelves in the US for several weeks now.  I bet in Japan the situation is even worse.  Demand for Switch is currently higher than it has ever been.  However, supply is not nearly plentiful enough to meet demand.

Zippy6 said:
mk7sx said:

Is that part pertaining to Spain or Europe though?

Nintendo Switch achieves the best month of November in terms of sales in Spain since its launch – bbc BBC (bbc724.com)

This article is worded weirdly but says "they confirm from Spain that Switch has registered the best hardware sales in its history in the week of Black Friday at the European level." So it says best november for spain, but for best BF only says "on a european level".

So my take is that Spain November 2021 is best November ever but BF week wasn't the best ever in Spain, and as no other PR mentions November for other regions despite the PR basically being copy+pasted for each region I think it's safe to say other regions and europe as a whole didn't have it's best november ever.

Spain - Best November, not best BF Week
UK - Best BF Week, not best November
Germany - Best BF Week, not best November
Italy - Best BF Week, not best November
Europe - Best BF Week, not best November.

That's my take from all the information released anyway.

So BF 2021 > BF 2019/2020 basically everywhere except Spain.
But Nov 2019/2020 > Nov 2021 basically everywhere except Spain.

If it was not the best Black Friday why did the vandal article said this:

La consola híbrida de Nintendo registra su mejor mes de noviembre en España desde su lanzamiento en marzo de 2017. También ha conseguido su mejor Black Friday en cuanto a ventas en todos sus modelos.

translation:

Nintendo's hybrid console registers its best month of November in Spain since its launch in march 20017. It also has achieved its best Black Friday In sales of all its models.

Edit: link to the article

https://vandal.elespanol.com/noticia/1350750115/nintendo-switch-registra-el-mejor-mes-de-noviembre-en-ventas-desde-su-lanzamiento-en-espana/

Chicho said:

If it was not the best Black Friday why did the vandal article said this:

La consola híbrida de Nintendo registra su mejor mes de noviembre en España desde su lanzamiento en marzo de 2017. También ha conseguido su mejor Black Friday en cuanto a ventas en todos sus modelos.

translation:

Nintendo's hybrid console registers its best month of November in Spain since its launch in march 20017. It also has achieved its best Black Friday In sales of all its models.

Edit: link to the article

https://vandal.elespanol.com/noticia/1350750115/nintendo-switch-registra-el-mejor-mes-de-noviembre-en-ventas-desde-su-lanzamiento-en-espana/

From the article body:

"Nintendo Switch‎‎ remains unstoppable and registers its best month of November in terms of sales in Spain since its launch in March 2017. This is confirmed by a new press release offered by Nintendo Spain in which it is specified that ‎‎the hybrid console has achieved its best month of November since its premiere‎‎ and that it has also broken a new record in terms of sales at European level. The Nintendo Switch family, composed of the standard model, Switch Lite and SWITCH OLED, ‎‎has registered its best ‎‎hardware‎‎ sales in the week of Black Friday in its history,‎‎far surpassing the previous record recorded last November 2019.‎"

It says it broke November sales record in Spain, then it says it also broke a record on a European Level too. The next sentence tells us what that European record is, black friday.

All the articles reporting on Spain are taking words from a Nintendo press release and unlike every other region none of the Spanish articles explicitly say Spain had it's best BF ever. They only say Spain had it's best November ever and then talk about europe as a whole.

Like it's worded in this article: Nintendo Switch achieves the best month of November in terms of sales in Spain since its launch (in-24.com)

"As the company has announced and according to internal sales data, Switch has achieved the best month of November since its launch in Spain, with sales data that far exceed the previous mark set the same month, but in 2019. This includes all its versions, be it the original model, Switch Lite or the OLED model.

In Europe it has registered the best week in its history In addition, they confirm from Spain that Switch has registered the best hardware sales of its history in the week of Black Friday at the European level."

Nintendo Spain confirmed to this outlet that Switch had it's best BF week on a European Level.

So compare the PR statements given from each region

Germany - "more Switch consoles were sold in Germany and Europe in the week from November 22 to 28"
Italy - "Nintendo Switch has totaled sales record in the week of Black Friday in Italy and Europe"
Spain - "best hardware sales of its history in the week of Black Friday at the European level."

If you find an article that explicitly says best black friday week in Spain then that changes things but all the articles are pretty much copy+pasted material from whatever Nintendo sent them and they are carefully worded.

So I'm taking this as Spain BF not the best ever, but it was the best November ever for Spain and the best BF ever for Europe as a whole.

It makes more sense this way for the 35k figure we got. The figure may be out a bit, but I'd hesitate to say the tracking was so bad that instead of 35k it was actually 55k.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 10 December 2021

Around the Network

Ok i see, the second sentence is about Europe. That is a confusing way to say that.

Reminds me a little of 2009 with the Wii, although the situations and reasons are different. With the Wii, 2008 was its strongest year, but Autumn 2009 was its strongest quarter overall. It’s looking like it might be that with the Switch.

Although, schedule-wise, 2022 is feeling more like 2009. Wii’s most robust year of software releases and feature expansions was 2009, and 2022 is feeling like it’s going to be Switch’s.

If Switch is like Wii over an X2 elongated timeframe, it means that guy is right… Switch will hit a cliff sometime around 2025 or 2026 :(

In all seriousness, though, the cliff prediction didn’t happen. It was supposed to occur in mid-2019, now we’re about to enter 2022. The guy kept pushing back the date again and again. The reasoning turned from “Switch can still flop” to “it’s inevitable Switch will see sales decline” just to soften the blow on the fact that Switch didn’t flop… rather, it’s destined for the top 3, and has a decent shot at becoming the top selling dedicated video game system in history. The DS is the only system ever that maintained this high level of demand beyond the 100m mark, even PS2 coasted in the ~12-15 m range past this point - it just kept it up for years into the Wii generation. DS could have kept going too, it’s like Nintendo just told us one day “no more DS games, everything’s on 3DS now”

That wasn’t really a cliff for DS, it was manufactured attempt to transfer sales to their next handheld.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 10 December 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Reminds me a little of 2009 with the Wii, although the situations and reasons are different. With the Wii, 2008 was its strongest year, but Autumn 2009 was its strongest quarter overall. It’s looking like it might be that with the Switch.

Although, schedule-wise, 2022 is feeling more like 2009. Wii’s most robust year of software releases and feature expansions was 2009, and 2022 is feeling like it’s going to be Switch’s.

If Switch is like Wii over an X2 elongated timeframe, it means that guy is right… Switch will hit a cliff sometime around 2025 or 2026 :(

In all seriousness, though, the cliff prediction didn’t happen. It was supposed to occur in mid-2019, now we’re about to enter 2022. The guy kept pushing back the date again and again. The reasoning turned from “Switch can still flop” to “it’s inevitable Switch will see sales decline” just to soften the blow on the fact that Switch didn’t flop… rather, it’s destined for the top 3, and has a decent shot at becoming the top selling dedicated video game system in history. The DS is the only system ever that maintained this high level of demand beyond the 100m mark, even PS2 coasted in the ~12-15 m range past this point - it just kept it up for years into the Wii generation. DS could have kept going too, it’s like Nintendo just told us one day “no more DS games, everything’s on 3DS now”

That wasn’t really a cliff for DS, it was manufactured attempt to transfer sales to their next handheld.

Maybe someone mistook Cliff Bleszinski for NS Cliff.  

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

@Jumpin Wouldn't Wii 2010 be more similar to Switch 2022 software-wise? I do agree that Wii 2009 is similar to Switch 2021 sales-wise though.

Torpoleon said:

@Jumpin Wouldn't Wii 2010 be more similar to Switch 2022 software-wise? I do agree that Wii 2009 is similar to Switch 2021 sales-wise though.

Wii 2010 had Super Mario Galaxy 2, Xenoblade Chronicles (although not in all regions yet and it sold below 1mil, so not really a big release), Kirby's Epic Yarn and DKC Returns. What other notable releases did the Wii have in 2010? Thus far Switch 2022 looks to have a way stronger line up and many games that are going to release haven't been revealed yet.