By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

GoOnKid said:

36 - One fiery demon fights to obtain six powerful stones.

HINT: The protagonist is a regular enemy in a related series.

34 - In this handheld game you're exploring not only one but two creepy castles at the same time which are linked by dimensional gates.

Didn't see anyone get these (apologies if they have been answered), but my guesses...

36 - Demon's Crest

34 - Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance

Around the Network
drbunnig said:
GoOnKid said:

36 - One fiery demon fights to obtain six powerful stones.

HINT: The protagonist is a regular enemy in a related series.

34 - In this handheld game you're exploring not only one but two creepy castles at the same time which are linked by dimensional gates.

Didn't see anyone get these (apologies if they have been answered), but my guesses...

36 - Demon's Crest

34 - Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance

Both correct!

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

YoY: +1

Breath of the Wild is a weird game to talk about for me, because it is at once an excellent open world game that I thoroughly enjoyed playing, as well as one of the most overrated games I've ever played. It's honestly an odd feeling to have. Almost everything about the game is great, from the fantastically designed world with countless secrets to find and mysteries to unveil, to the wonderful feeling of discovery and wonder the entire game elicits at nearly every moment. Visually BotW looks great, the gameplay 

The issues I do have are generally just minor annoyances or otherwise largely inconsequential. The problem is that for each great thing about the game, there's one small issue to go along with it. The battles are a lot of fun, but the weapon durability feels completely pointless from start to finish, the spontaneous and unexpected interactions between different elements like the changing weather, fire, Link's own gear, and other things are a joy to discover, but they can also grind the exploration to a halt when you're trying to get somewhere, and the exploring itself is great fun, but early on you're limited by a pitifully small stamina meter that requires three or four upgrades before it feels like it's at a point where it should have been at the start of the game.

As I said, BotW is an excellent game, and I'm very much looking forward to the sequel when it releases. There are just these minor, insignificant grievances in it, that by themselves wouldn't really matter much, but they all keep constantly chipping away at my enjoyment of what is an otherwise great game. This is, without question a wonderful game, just not the "greatest game of all time" that some people have labeled it as.

@Darashiva, the point of the weapon durability is to encourage experimentation and prevent players from always using the same weapon. If weapons wouldn't break, there would be no point in ever picking any up if you have already found a strong enough one. The korok seeds would be completely pointless, combat would get stale because people wouldn't try out new stuff, because there wouldn't be much reason to. You can just hit the enemies until they're dead without much thought put into it. The weapon durability may be frustrating, but at the same time it leads to almost the entire rest of the game being better. You need to plan before you attack a camp with very strong enemies, you need to manage your gear and always make sure you have enough weapons. Half of the time I only attack enemies to get their weapons.
It ads several entire new layers of complexity to the gameplay.
The weapon durability is I think the most important mechanic in the game even more so than the physics system. Without it the game would be less fun as a whole experience. The game would have been way less complex and because of that worse.

Kakadu18 said:

@Darashiva, the point of the weapon durability is to encourage experimentation and prevent players from always using the same weapon. If weapons wouldn't break, there would be no point in ever picking any up if you have already found a strong enough one. The korok seeds would be completely pointless, combat would get stale because people wouldn't try out new stuff, because there wouldn't be much reason to. You can just hit the enemies until they're dead without much thought put into it. The weapon durability may be frustrating, but at the same time it leads to almost the entire rest of the game being better. You need to plan before you attack a camp with very strong enemies, you need to manage your gear and always make sure you have enough weapons. Half of the time I only attack enemies to get their weapons.
The weapon durability is I think the most important mechanic in the game even more so than the physics system. Without it the game would be less fun as a whole experience. The game would have been way less complex and because of that worse.

Yes, I get the point of it, I just find it completely pointless. Early on you keep losing weapons in nearly every single fight, making me actually hesitant to get into battles because I don't want to lose the weapons I had in case I needed them later. Then later in the game the durability thing just became a non-issue, because after maybe the halfway point in the game I was never running out of weapons. More often than not I had to throw away perfectly fine ones because I found new ones that I otherwise didn't have room for.

So, either it was annoyance that made me not want to get into fights at all in earlier parts of the game, or it was just completely pointless because the weapons would never get to a point where they broke before I found new ones, usually in the shrines. All the weapon durability in the game did to me was make me avoid fights altogether, early on because I didn't want to lose them, and later because I already had better weapons than what the enemies would have left me. There was no point to the fights unless I had no other choice. I can't recall a single time where a weapon breaking made the experience somehow better for me. 

Around the Network
Darashiva said:
Kakadu18 said:

Yes, I get the point of it, I just find it completely pointless. Early on you keep losing weapons in nearly every single fight, making me actually hesitant to get into battles because I don't want to lose the weapons I had in case I needed them later. Then later in the game the durability thing just became a non-issue, because after maybe the halfway point in the game I was never running out of weapons. More often than not I had to throw away perfectly fine ones because I found new ones that I otherwise didn't have room for.

So, either it was annoyance that made me not want to get into fights at all in earlier parts of the game, or it was just completely pointless because the weapons would never get to a point where they broke before I found new ones, usually in the shrines. All the weapon durability in the game did to me was make me avoid fights altogether, early on because I didn't want to lose them, and later because I already had better weapons than what the enemies would have left me. There was no point to the fights unless I had no other choice. I can't recall a single time where a weapon breaking made the experience somehow better for me. 

It's not about the weapons breaking per se. I remember that quite often I would encounter a camp full of silver bokoblins and moblins and knew that if I just go in and start bashing them with my strongest weapons most of them would break soon. So I needed a strategy, be sneaky, seperate them from each other, use my runes and the terain to my advantage. All of this would be gone if I could just walk in and beat them to death without the weapons ever taking damage.

Farsala said:

36 Mario never felt so fluid until now. Go anywhere!
33 Much like Digimon World, this game features a day and night cycle. Unlike Digimon World the days keep repeating.

36. The hint fits the Bowser's Fury part of the Super Mario 3D World Switch port. I don't even know if and how this game can be ranked here.

33. Totally ignoring the Digimon World part so I'm going to answer with Majora's Mask?

Supermario28 said:
Farsala said:

36 Mario never felt so fluid until now. Go anywhere!
33 Much like Digimon World, this game features a day and night cycle. Unlike Digimon World the days keep repeating.

36. The hint fits the Bowser's Fury part of the Super Mario 3D World Switch port. I don't even know if and how this game can be ranked here.

33. Totally ignoring the Digimon World part so I'm going to answer with Majora's Mask?

36 is not correct.

33 Yes that is correct. Nice!

New hints interlude. Because why not.

#32: Chose one of three families, naturally one goes west over the mountains, the next goes east towards islands and ancient lands, and the third goes across the sea to the desert and fertile shores.

Hint 2: Even though each of these three families are the driving force behind the expansion of this empire, or republic actually, you all still answer to a central government that owns the capital.

Hint 3: At some point however, you'll want everything for yourself, and you'll start a big war to conquer all the areas of the other two families and, finally, the capital itself to become the first emperor. Guessed by Farsala - Rome: Total War

#31: This games comes with what is maybe the most accessible map editor ever shipped alongside a game, where you can simply put down track elements such as tabletops, whoops and low high and high jumps as simple tiles.

Hint 2: Especially interesting, I always thought it was pretty hypnotising at least, was how you had to "verify" your newly built track before you could save it. The computer would then visibly trace your tiles and pieces first with black outlines from start to finish, and then remove all the tiles one after one temporarily in the backwards order.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 27 November 2021

Kakadu18 said:
Darashiva said:

It's not about the weapons breaking per se. I remember that quite often I would encounter a camp full of silver bokoblins and moblins and knew that if I just go in and start bashing them with my strongest weapons most of them would break soon. So I needed a strategy, be sneaky, seperate them from each other, use my runes and the terain to my advantage. All of this would be gone if I could just walk in and beat them to death without the weapons ever taking damage.

The problem is, I never felt the reward was worth the trouble. Simply put, for me the weapon durability system added nothing to the game, but detracted from the elements that I otherwise enjoyed. I liked the combat system, but the weapon durability made me less inclined to get into fights with the overworld enemies, and discouraged me from engaging the stronger enemies if I could just ignore them instead. It actively made me avoid combat, and I doubt that was their intention when they designed the system.