By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

Sadly nobody guessed Kid Icarus: Uprising, but everything else outside my TOP 10  is guessed, so I think it is time to show a breakdown of the current standing. Liquid_Laser is closely leading in front of Machina and Darashiva with as much correct guessed games as gamees stayed unguessed.

usercountentries
The_Liquid_Laser7#25, #22, #24, #21, #20, #18, #16
Machina6#48, #39, #34, #29, #31, #30
Darashiva6#45, #35, #28, #27, #26, #13
Zippy63#50, #43, #38
Kakadu183#46, #37, #39
drbunnig3#19, #15, #12
TruckOSaurus2#33, #32
Supermario281#41
S.Peelman1#36
coolbeans1#17
Platina1#11
no one7#49, #47, #44, #42, #40, #23, #14

Well, time to break into the TOP 10 with hints:

#10: This D&D based classic (20+ years old) western RPG has colorful NPCs joining your party, that you can subsequently control in combat.

#9: This not that classic (10+ years old) japanese RPG has colorful NPCs joining your party, that you can subsequently control in combat.

#8: This old (20 years old) RPG is a japanese development in a western RPG series. As this matches multiples games in the series, look that I said 20 years, not 20+ years. Also it left Japan and released in the West.

#7: This RPG is a fresh reimagination of old RPGs, both visually and gameplay wise it merges old and new and that very well.

#6: This RPG is a fusion of two beloved series.

Hmm, it seems I have a pattern what games I like. I swear, my TOP 5 couldn't produce hints that would fit the pattern.

10.  Baldur's Gate

9.  Etrian Odyssey

8.  Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land

7.  Octopath Traveler

6.  Dragon Quest Builders 2

#10: yes

#9: no

#8: Yes!

#7: YES

#6: no, but keep the thought

Three out of five, not bad. This surely secures your lead. This is more astounding, as you only started guessing my games, after half of my list was through.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

More hints:

9.  a)  This is the first time an entry of this handheld console game was released in North America.  However the series started in Japan over a decade earlier.
b)  Once your character is named, its going to stay that name.

6.  This game can feel both old school and Western, but it's a PS3 game made by a Japanese developer.  First in the series.

5.  Some people call this the best game in a very old and popular series, even though it's actually a spinoff game.

4.  The main thing I liked about Master of Magic is creating a powerful party of heroes and elite troops to go around conquering cities.  Then this game released and made Master of Magic obsolete for me.  Second in the series.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

More hints:

9.  a)  This is the first time an entry of this handheld console game was released in North America.  However the series started in Japan over a decade earlier.
b)  Once your character is named, its going to stay that name.

6.  This game can feel both old school and Western, but it's a PS3 game made by a Japanese developer.  First in the series.

5.  Some people call this the best game in a very old and popular series, even though it's actually a spinoff game.

4.  The main thing I liked about Master of Magic is creating a powerful party of heroes and elite troops to go around conquering cities.  Then this game released and made Master of Magic obsolete for me.  Second in the series.

#6: Probably Dark Souls

#4: Well, there are a lot of games that took elements of MoMa, but I think that might be Heroes of Might and Magic II.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Platina said:

9 Fire Emblem 7

Good guess, but not the game I'm looking for.

Eric2048 said:

19. This game was very pivotal in the popularity of JRPG's

18. A Guard, a Troll and a Bandit hunt down a sorcerer in order to break an evil curse.

17. This game takes place in a fictionalized version of California USA. It is considered a mainline game despite not being a numbered title.

16. The composer who worked on this game also did work on Xenogears, Xenoblade, and Chrono Chross.

15. This game is the newest mainline entry in this series. One of the newest features is gliding.

19.  Final Fantasy 7

18.  Dragon Quest 8

17.  GTA San Andreas

15.  BotW

Yes to all

Mnementh said:

#9: This not that classic (10+ years old) japanese RPG has colorful NPCs joining your party, that you can subsequently control in combat.

6) Tokyo Mirage Sessions

And might as well take a stab at 9 now that I'm here:

9) Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

Entering the top 10.

13) The one game in this series that has a lot of cutscenes

Hint 2: It's a series that's usually mostly about multiplayer

Hint 3: Particularly local multiplayer, this was the first game to introduce online.

12) Ended on a heartfelt note

Hint 2: I'm not referring to the ending of the game's story

Hint 3: The word heart is the key.

10) From Amaterasu to Sif to Zamazenta, blade wielding dogs seems to repeat.

9) When you wish upon a star...

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Mnementh said:

6) Tokyo Mirage Sessions

And might as well take a stab at 9 now that I'm here:

9) Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Tokyo Mirage Session is correct, but I haven't played Paper Mario yet.

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Entering the top 10.

Hint 3: Particularly local multiplayer, this was the first game to introduce online.

Smash Bros Brawl?

Mnementh said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Entering the top 10.

Smash Bros Brawl?

Yep, that's it

Darashiva said:
Eric2048 said:

19. This game was very pivotal in the popularity of JRPG's

18. A Guard, a Troll and a Bandit hunt down a sorcerer in order to break an evil curse.

17. This game takes place in a fictionalized version of California USA. It is considered a mainline game despite not being a numbered title.

16. The composer who worked on this game also did work on Xenogears, Xenoblade, and Chrono Chross.

15. This game is the newest mainline entry in this series. One of the newest features is gliding.

16: So, Yasunori Mitsuda. Doesn't really narrow it down very much considering the number of games he's worked on, but Chrono Trigger?

Yep, you got it