By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shigeru Miyamoto's crazy take on side-scrolling 2D Mario

I feel like there's something that's getting lost in translation here.

Around the Network

Maybe I read that wrong, but it sounds like to me their goal is to make games easier and easier until basically, anyone of any age and skill can beat them. Is that what you guys got out of it too? Because if so, that's fine. But how are they going to do that without some sort of optional difficulty setting?

Jumpin said:
GoOnKid said:

I have noe idea why everyone likes to criticize him so much. And at this point, I'm too afraid to ask.

Shitting on artists is what we do best in the west…and we’re good at it, we even drove Vincent van Gogh to suicide. Then did the other stereotypically dick move: turning around to praise him as arguably the greatest artistic painter of all time AFTER we drove him to take his own life.

At the risk of sounding callus here, you can't make someone kill themselves. That's a cop out. If someone is suicidal, they're suicidal and they need to get help and go on some heavy duty mood stabilizers and get away from the toxicity that's making them feel so bad. I know we're in a culture now where personal accountability is almost a dirty phrase, but that doesn't make it any less true. You are responsible for your disposition in this life, not anyone else. Doesn't matter what's being said about you, you still have the power to get away from it, make a positive change and get the help you need. No one has has that power over you. And anyone who suggests otherwise is misinformed. 

Sadly, there are way more misinformed people out there than there are informed. 

Of course we don't fully know what Miyamotos current job entails. That said his creative input feels worn out to me. How Star Fox Zero turned out. Paper Mario just having toads and no characters anymore. With that aspect of him I feel it's just living on a reputation. I do feel if Platinum was just left alone to make the StarFox they wanted to make it would be a very different and much better game. Tho I think what we got they only assisted on with Miyamoto's full input. I just think he is creatively bankrupt. Not asking him to retire. Just not imput his bad ideas anymore. Again I'm sure his current position is a man of many hats. Just wear one less please.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Shocked that he feels this way when in 2012 we had two New Super Mario Bros. games that released within a few months of each other. Considering there was a 2D Mario drought in between Super Mario Land 2 in 1992 and New Super Mario Bros. in 2006, maybe we've got at least a few more years to go. We could be in another massive 2D Mario drought, as we're on 9 years now (Super Mario Maker games and New Super Mario Bros. U don't count).

Maybe he also feels there's no place for Paper Mario games like the original 2 because the series changed it up (and not for the better). I want 2D Mario back, but I want some of it to feel fresh. Theme the game around artwork (like they did the starry night level in NSMBU) or add Peach, Daisy, or Wario as co-op characters. Find something fresh to do

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
AllfatherStarr said:
RolStoppable said:

The point is good business. The sales of Super Mario Maker 2 make it clear that the majority of 2D Mario fans don't and won't accept Mario Maker as a substitute for 2D Mario games.

Having an IP on your hands that would sell definitely 20m+ on Switch and then refusing to make such a game belongs in the category of dumbest Nintendo decisions ever.

But what exactly do you want out of Nintendo? good business decisions or good games ? Because as a consumer I would rather they spend money on a new DKC game than a new 2D Mario, although there is no way in hell their sales will be even remotely similar. 

God forbid that we can't have both.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

JackHandy said:
Jumpin said:

Shitting on artists is what we do best in the west…and we’re good at it, we even drove Vincent van Gogh to suicide. Then did the other stereotypically dick move: turning around to praise him as arguably the greatest artistic painter of all time AFTER we drove him to take his own life.

At the risk of sounding callus here, you can't make someone kill themselves. That's a cop out. If someone is suicidal, they're suicidal and they need to get help and go on some heavy duty mood stabilizers and get away from the toxicity that's making them feel so bad. I know we're in a culture now where personal accountability is almost a dirty phrase, but that doesn't make it any less true. You are responsible for your disposition in this life, not anyone else. Doesn't matter what's being said about you, you still have the power to get away from it, make a positive change and get the help you need. No one has has that power over you. And anyone who suggests otherwise is misinformed. 

Sadly, there are way more misinformed people out there than there are informed. 

Vincent was a deeply troubled man long before he took his own life, and being fairly sure that he wasn't on social media makes me certain that we didn't drive him to take his own life.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 11 November 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Spoiler!
Am I the only one who found Super Mario Galaxy easier than NSMB Wii

Nintendo views NSMB U as a "new game" because not many people owned a Wii U, they also view Mario 3D World as it's own in-between series (sorta 2D, sorta 3D) and again since it was on Wii U they kinda view it as a new game as most people have not played it. So I think they view those two games as having a while to sell.

Just like Mario Kart 8 on Switch, it's basically a new installment in the series as far they see it because not many people owned a Wii U so there is no rush for a Mario Kart 9 which is probably being held off for a Switch 2 launch. As Miyamoto says too, they also basically view Super Mario Run as a new 2D Mario game.

It does sound like there is another 3D Mario coming probably around the time of the Mario (late 2022, early 2023) movie release, that's a lot of Mario platforming for one system.

It's also probable they are working on a new 2D Donkey Kong game, I think a Donkey Kong movie is already being planned if the Mario movie does well, Donkey Kong getting it's own attraction at Universal before things like Zelda or Pokemon says a lot. Likely they would eventually like a movie to go with that, and if that's the case, there almost definitely has to be a new Donkey Kong game. There are lots of Mario platformers on Switch, but only the one DKC: TF port.

Zippy6 said:

Yeah... Calling NSMB Wii an "accessible 3d Mario" is insane.

I really hope we see a brand new take on 2D Mario with a new art style. 2D Mario has followed the NSMB formula for 15 years now.

I've read all the text and I wonder if that is not a mistranslation, in which he meant we made another Mario game which is New Super Wii, and it's very accessible blah blah blah. I don't really think he believes New SM Wii, or any other NSMB for that matter, to be a 3D game. Heck, that would be reason for a direct intervention in a sanatorium coming from the guy that practically showed the world how to make a proper 3D platformer after doing 2D ones with the success we all know about.