By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shigeru Miyamoto's crazy take on side-scrolling 2D Mario

green_sky said:

Nintendo doesn't care about 2D Mario.

If is true Nintendo is the dumbest company. It is one of the strongest ips ever. 

One big-budget 2D Mario will be on the real 20M+ easily 

Around the Network
Agente42 said:
green_sky said:

Nintendo doesn't care about 2D Mario.

If is true Nintendo is the dumbest company. It is one of the strongest ips ever. 

They are very talented and very dumb, yea. 

green_sky said:
Agente42 said:

They are very talented and very dumb, yea. 

Sums them up well lol. They make the most incredible games but also seem the least in touch with their customers and modern times.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Leynos said:

New Super Mario Bros games ranged from mediocre at best to terrible. They all looked the same. Played roughly the same. Same annoying music and lack of art style. Just some felt more slippery to control. That Wii U one was esp bad. Every level felt like an ice level. I swear without the Mario name those games would be forgotten or shat on.

You will get a lot of heat for stating your opinion, so I'm here only to say that I agree with you. To date, the deluxe edition of New Super Mario Bros U is the only Switch game that I've played and found so lame that I resold it jut about 6 hours after started playing it. After mainline Pokemon is the weakest Nintendo franchise 

Is this a very controversial take? The new DKC and Rayman games make the NSMB games look pretty mediocre, while no 3d platformer is even close to challenging Odyssey. 

RolStoppable said:
twintail said:

With Mario Maker, what is even the point of making new Mario 2D games?

That said, 2D Mario > 3D Mario any day of the week imho

The point is good business. The sales of Super Mario Maker 2 make it clear that the majority of 2D Mario fans don't and won't accept Mario Maker as a substitute for 2D Mario games.

Having an IP on your hands that would sell definitely 20m+ on Switch and then refusing to make such a game belongs in the category of dumbest Nintendo decisions ever.

But what exactly do you want out of Nintendo? good business decisions or good games ? Because as a consumer I would rather they spend money on a new DKC game than a new 2D Mario, although there is no way in hell their sales will be even remotely similar. 

Around the Network

He's busy creating Mario Run and sharing his Mario IP to the world. Miyamoto is now just a "Fellow" after all.

I have noe idea why everyone likes to criticize him so much. And at this point, I'm too afraid to ask.

GoOnKid said:

I have noe idea why everyone likes to criticize him so much. And at this point, I'm too afraid to ask.

Shitting on artists is what we do best in the west…and we’re good at it, we even drove Vincent van Gogh to suicide. Then did the other stereotypically dick move: turning around to praise him as arguably the greatest artistic painter of all time AFTER we drove him to take his own life.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
GoOnKid said:

Shitting on artists is what we do best in the west…and we’re good at it, we even drove Vincent van Gogh to suicide. Then did the other stereotypically dick move: turning around to praise him as arguably the greatest artistic painter of all time AFTER we drove him to take his own life.

Right, and it's sad. You know, he might be the most iconic person in all of gaming and he created the biggest franchises, yeah... But did you know that he sometimes talks crazy stuff that doesn't hold much weight? Whoops, guess he's not THAT great after all, huh? You know, this man enlarges the medium to new areas like theme parks and introduces millions of people into gaming's beloved universes, which is pretty nice... but have you heard that he forced a complicated control scheme into Star Fox Zero? Big oof if you ask me! Completely out of touch, that old man.

Coming back to your replay, I believe you're so right. When he retires one day, and when he won't be around with us one day, all those haters will cherrish him and brag how much they loved him all along, but as long he's still alive and kicking, he's a target.

The New Super Mario Bros. series featured the moveset off the 3d games, from the triple jump to the wall jump to the butt stomp. It can be seen as taking the 3d Mario and putting him in a 2d game. That could be what he means here.

In general Miyamoto has been far less involved in game development the last 10 years, and the last few years in particular he's been more involved in the Universal Nintendo World than anything else.

Miyamoto is the greatest videogame designer of all time. It isn't close. Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros 1-3, The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, F-Zero, Super Mario 64, Star Fix 64, Ocarina of Time, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Nintendogs. He was very involved in the development and success of the original Pokemon games, he's responsible for Samus swapping visors in Metroid Prime. He was involved in the development of Wii Sports, Nintendogs, the Galaxy games and pretty much all Zeldas through the early 2010s. The man has made his share of mistakes, from his dismissal of the importance of stories in games like Paper Mario to his dismissal of the original Donkey Kong Country as being graphics over gameplay, but no one can come close to his influence and impact on how games are made or sheer number of games that would be on any 'greatest games of all time' list.