By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shigeru Miyamoto's crazy take on side-scrolling 2D Mario

Kakadu18 said:
Leynos said:

New Super Mario Bros games ranged from mediocre at best to terrible. They all looked the same. Played roughly the same. Same annoying music and lack of art style. Just some felt more slippery to control. That Wii U one was esp bad. Every level felt like an ice level. I swear without the Mario name those games would be forgotten or shat on.

Super Mario World is the best Mario game ever made period. I'd love a 2D animated style of something similar. Since Wario Shake it I have wanted a 2D Mario in a similar style.

I like Mario 64,3D World and Odyssey. I would like a 3D Mario similar to 64 or Odyssey I can play as Luigi.

The original Super Mario Bros. is slippery these games aren't.

Wii U game very much was.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Actually I read this as them starting out wanting to make an “accessible” 3D Mario, but then wound up going with 2D Mario again because that’s by nature more accessible, not that “2D Mario is accessible 3D Mario”. Not mentioned though is later on they got another idea to make 3D Mario more accessible with making 3D Land and World.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 10 November 2021

Yeah... Calling NSMB Wii an "accessible 3d Mario" is insane.

I really hope we see a brand new take on 2D Mario with a new art style. 2D Mario has followed the NSMB formula for 15 years now.

Nintendo doesn't care about 2D Mario.

Maybe 2D Mario has simply run its course? I mean what else can they really do with it.

Around the Network

All i can say is they better have a new 2D Mario game coming to the Switch at some point. Even the Wii U port (which is pretty mediocre if you're not playing with friends) and was just tossed out into the wild as a post-holiday afterthought, is over 10m. A high quality brand new fresh take on 2D Mario would definitely be a 20m seller on Switch. I don't see how they could possibly not do it, so this is my most highly anticipated unconfirmed future Switch game.

I love Miyamoto, but come on bruh. People love the games and they sell effortlessly

RolStoppable said:
twintail said:

With Mario Maker, what is even the point of making new Mario 2D games?

That said, 2D Mario > 3D Mario any day of the week imho

The point is good business. The sales of Super Mario Maker 2 make it clear that the majority of 2D Mario fans don't and won't accept Mario Maker as a substitute for 2D Mario games.

Having an IP on your hands that would sell definitely 20m+ on Switch and then refusing to make such a game belongs in the category of dumbest Nintendo decisions ever.

yup exactly. I'm just assuming 2D Mario in 2023, as 2022 is already stacked. Maybe the last mega seller on the Switch.

I think SMM series appeals more to creators and just the pure Mario fans skip it because they figure they aren't going to spend all this time building stages. i got it thinking i would but then i was like nah i don't feel like investing all that time into building levels. So i just play it a little bit here and there to see whatever crazy levels people have come up with. SMM and 2D Mario appeal to different fanbases. While Mario Maker is very cool its fanbase just is nowhere near the size of 2D Mario. The start of a brand new 2D Mario series on Switch would/will likely outsell Mario Odyssey.

RolStoppable said:

In the most recent Q&A session with investors, there was one interesting question: Q6.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2021/211105_2e.pdf

Also, what are your thoughts on the differences between 3D Mario and side-scrolling 2D Mario in game software?

As for the difference between 2D Mario and 3D Mario, let me explain by describing the background for the development of the Wii game New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which was released in 2009. At the time, it felt like each time we created a new installment in the Super Mario series — which by then had expanded into 3D — it became more complicated. After the release of Super Mario Galaxy in 2007, the goal was to develop a more accessible 3D Super Mario game, and the result was New Super Mario Bros. Wii, a basic side-scrolling Super Mario game that even new players could easily play. That later led to the release of the even simpler
Super Mario Run game (a mobile application released in 2016.) When we develop software, we strive to incorporate new elements, but at the same time we want to make it easy for even firsttime players to have fun. Recently, people of all generations have been enjoying the 3D Mario game Super Mario Odyssey (released in 2017,) so for 3D Mario going forward, we want to try expanding further in new ways. 

It isn't news that Shigeru Miyamoto is against Nintendo making 2D Mario games and that's why it isn't surprising that already nine years have passed since Nintendo's last game (New Super Mario Bros. U). His explanation above points in the direction of this drought not coming to an end anytime soon, because apparently NSMB Wii is now a more accessible 3D Mario game and not what it actually is, something entirely different. With this make-believe explanation where every Super Mario game belongs to the same line, 2D Mario has become obsolete as Miyamoto's conclusion sees Nintendo only making 3D Mario going forward.

Any reasonable person would have said that the differences between 3D Mario and side-scrolling 2D Mario are so pronounced that it's necessary for Nintendo to make both types of games. It has been less than a week ago that Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers put out the stunner "I am a man of science" while having received homeopathic treatment to get immunized against the coronavirus. That was already a very high level of stupid, but Shigeru Miyamoto managed to top it. What makes Miyamoto's delusion so much worse is that it will take many years until it is resolved whereas Rodgers merely misses a game or two for his team due to testing positive for COVID-19.

Shigeru Miyamoto is a jackass.

I talked about this and other people talk about this a long time ago: Miyamoto not want more 2d Mario, in the first time he came with Yoshi Island formula, but donkey Kong country came and demolished this and beat Sonic and Sega too. Then, we have Galaxy, but a new team on Nintendo launch New Super Mario Bros. and NSMBWii and demoted Miyamoto's strange obsession against the fast-paced 2d Mario. Seems Miaymoto has a 3d Obsession and can´t see the difference between 3d Mario (an adventure game) and 2d Mario ( a fast-paced action platform-oriented game). And try to transform the 2d larger public into 3d Mario fans( A DVD explain for new gamers in Mario Galaxy 2, Two games try to copy cat the feeling of 2d (one for 3ds and one for wiiu). 

Besides Aonuma and Sakamoto try to transform one franchise in another thing, Miyamoto was a bigger treat because of his influence in the Nintendo realm. 

twintail said:

With Mario Maker, what is even the point of making new Mario 2D games?

That said, 2D Mario > 3D Mario any day of the week imho

New powerups?  New course themes?  New characters/enemies?  Some of that could then become new content for a Super Mario Maker 3. 

RPG Maker hasn't put an end to Kemco pumping out RPG's.