By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series S refresh

Kakadu18 said:
scrapking said:

   Because it harkens back to the Xbox 360 E (the last one released, the one that looked like a mini Xbox One)?  Or some other reason?

Xbox Series S

Xbox Series E

Xbox Series X

It was a dumb joke, nothing more.

You're forgetting Xbox Series Y



Around the Network
EricHiggin said:

[...] The question would be how does MS fix the fact that they've been marketing XBSS as 1440p this entire time?

I don't see the point in upgrading the existing models. Price cuts asap is more important, but won't happen until after the chip shortage is over. If they're not entirely happy with the line up and feel there's gaps, then fill them with more options.

I'd also assume there's got to be more than a few unusable XBSX chips like the PS5 chips. Some of those unusable PS5 chips are being put in certain third party PC's now so they don't go to waste, so I don't know why MS couldn't also use the poor XBSX chips in an XBSE.

I actually agree with not having a system in-between "S" and "X".  For most people I think a Series S is 80% of the experience of the Series X, especially when viewed across the room, and especially on a less than huge TV.  But the rumours are the rumours, so I approached them as I heard them.  :)

Given that the Series S was promoted as a 1440p@30 (at best) machine, if they do create an in-between SKU they could promote it as a 1440p@60 or 1440p@120 machine.  But I wouldn't encourage that, personally.  As others have said, just keep cost-reducing and/or shrinking and/or adding storage to the Series S.

As for cast-off chips that nonetheless have some functionality, I wonder if they'd have enough of them for a mid-grade system?  If anything, they might use them in xCloud servers for less-demanding games.

Last edited by scrapking - on 08 November 2021

Kakadu18 said:

Xbox Series S

Xbox Series E

Xbox Series X

It was a dumb joke, nothing more.

Ah, that sound was the joke whooshing over my head.  :)



AkimboCurly said:
Kakadu18 said:

Xbox Series S

Xbox Series E

Xbox Series X

It was a dumb joke, nothing more.

You're forgetting Xbox Series Y

Series Y is handheld . 

Xbox Series S

Xbox Series E

Xbox Series X

Xbox Series Y 

I knew Xbox , I know that.



Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

SKMBlake said:

Just put a disc reader, this machine is so good for both the upcoming generation and past generations, and sold at a very competitive price point, making it all digital is such a shame

An optical drive would be an interesting counter-point to the disc-less PS5 Digital Edition.  But it would work against it being so darn small.  But if it were an S2 or an S3, and the disc-less Series S still existed, that could be a winner actually.  Nice idea.

The main downside being that Microsoft doesn't want you to buy discs anymore, they want you to buy digitally (and especially to subscribe to Game Pass).  One of the reasons the rumours have them doing an enhanced Series S is that the Game Pass attach rate is better on the Series S than the Series X, after all.

But that's not a reason not to do it, IMO, if it gives them a competitive advantage.  So like I say, I like the idea.

Last edited by scrapking - on 08 November 2021

Around the Network
scrapking said:
EricHiggin said:

[...] The question would be how does MS fix the fact that they've been marketing XBSS as 1440p this entire time?

I don't see the point in upgrading the existing models. Price cuts asap is more important, but won't happen until after the chip shortage is over. If they're not entirely happy with the line up and feel there's gaps, then fill them with more options.

I'd also assume there's got to be more than a few unusable XBSX chips like the PS5 chips. Some of those unusable PS5 chips are being put in certain third party PC's now so they don't go to waste, so I don't know why MS couldn't also use the poor XBSX chips in an XBSE.

I actually agree with not having a system in-between "S" and "X".  For most people I think a Series S is 80% of the experience of the Series X, especially when viewed across the room, and especially on a less than huge TV.  But the rumours are the rumours, so I approached them as I heard them.  :)

Given that the Series S was promoted as a 1440p@30 (at best) machine, if they do create an in-between SKU they could promote it as a 1440p@60 or 1440p@120 machine.  But I wouldn't encourage that, personally.  As others have said, just keep cost-reducing and/or shrinking and/or adding storage to the Series S.

I do to, but it depends on what was being asked based on what MS and its customers want. If they're saying seems like they may want more performance overall in the XBSS, then adding a $400 SKU makes sense. If they don't care about performance much, then ya, price reduction is definitely priority.

With the chip shortage making it unlikely price drops will come anytime soon, then best bet when it comes to the clear storage concern, is bundle more storage however MS wants to do it. There's plenty of ways they could, but the most important would be to keep the cost below $400 because a direct price comparison with PS5 DE wouldn't play out well for an XBSS storage bundle. An XBSS + 512GB EXP SSD bundle for $379 would be intriguing for example.



scrapking said:
SKMBlake said:

Just put a disc reader, this machine is so good for both the upcoming generation and past generations, and sold at a very competitive price point, making it all digital is such a shame

An optical drive would be an interesting counter-point to the disc-less PS5 Digital Edition.  But it would work against it being so darn small.  But if it were an S2 or an S3, and the disc-less Series S still existed, that could be a winner actually.  Nice idea.

Even if you added an ODD and made the internal SSD 1TB, XBSS2 would never work at $400. Maybe $350, maybe. You'd have to considerably beef up performance overall to give $400 a chance against PS5 DE.



AkimboCurly said:
Kakadu18 said:

Xbox Series S

Xbox Series E

Xbox Series X

It was a dumb joke, nothing more.

You're forgetting Xbox Series Y

And the Xbox Series Ain't Nothing But A Heartache



"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Just call it the Series Sex



Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

SvennoJ said:
scrapking said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

I don't think it needs a refresh yet, but a 1tb+ hard drive would be nice on the S.

I'm noticing a theme here.  :)

They're trying to keep the Series S at a really low introductory price.  More storage would be undeniably useful.  But Series S has a very high attach rate with Game Pass, and a lot of GP content is Xbox One (or even Xbox 360 and OG Xbox).  What do you think of including both a velocity-grade SSD, and a regular inexpensive SSD, in the system to keep storage up and costs down?

The system could automatically install content on one or the other depending on whether it's been upgraded for the velocity architecture or not.  And even if ALL your content is newer games, you'd still get value out of the ability to swap those games out to the cheaper SSD if you're running out of space.

This way Microsoft could advertise the same amount of storage (1TB) on each Series system.  On "X" systems it could all be velocity content, but on "S" systems it'd be a mix of velocity and regular.  That would become part of what you're paying extra for on an "X".  Obviously we all want as much out-of-the-box storage as we can get, but we need to be realistic about the price points that Microsoft wants to sell the "S" system at, so I think this compromise works.  Thoughts?

As long as it's all automated, why not. But it's probably cheaper just to have one larger SSD instead of an extra one. Question is, does MS rather have the profits of selling the expansion cards and simply do cost reduction. Keep everything the same and lower the price to get it to sell more. I'm guess a lower price will get the stock of the shelves more efficiently than increasing the storage space.

Bigger internal drives have been a very common thing on the consoles with the passing of years and well with more games available more space is needed to keep them. So they could still have the series S with 1Tb internal and sell well on the expansion.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."