By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series S refresh

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

Bigger internal drives have been a very common thing on the consoles with the passing of years and well with more games available more space is needed to keep them. So they could still have the series S with 1Tb internal and sell well on the expansion.

True, yet Series S 500GB for $249 will sell more than Series 1tb for $299. It's the 'get in the door' machine. Price is the most important factor. And MS is already going to offer a cheaper 512GB expansion.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/10/21/new-seagate-storage-expansion-cards/

$140 for 512 GB
$220 for 1TB (current price at bestbuy)
$400 for 2Tb

So cheaper storage is already coming. I guess MS rather have you buy a cheaper Series S with the cheaper storage expansion option. Next to controllers, the margins are on those expansion cards.

Sure. I do agree with you for sales it is better to drop the price than to increase the storage. It will only be a matter of MS satisfied with the sales curve or needing to reduce the price to meet it. If they are satisfied and want to just revamp while having more profit they'll double the SSD size, if they aren't then they cut the price while keeping the SSD size. But I have no doubt at one point before the end of the gen we will have the Series S or equivalent with a 1Tb SSD and Series X with 2Tb.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I'd say that any rumors about an upgraded system slated for release 3 years from now are just plain bullshit. There's a good chance that it will come true, but there certainly isn't any firm plan for something like that at this point.

I think what is most likely to happen is a series S price drop, and the introduction of a series X spec machine without a disk drive. Eventually the series X will drop in price to be the low cost machine, and there will be an upgraded version with higher specs than the current series X.

MS talked in the middle of last generation about an end of generations. They had to move off of that because they needed a clean break from their relatively lackluster Xbox One sales. But, I do think it's very likely that this is the last clear new generation of consoles from Microsoft. From here it will just be price drops of the existing machines and introduction of higher spec models at the top of the price spectrum.

I do think it's likely that the current series X is the last machine that they will release with a disk drive. Maybe there will be one more, but we are definitely near the end of that, for better or worse. 

VAMatt said:

I'd say that any rumors about an upgraded system slated for release 3 years from now are just plain bullshit. There's a good chance that it will come true, but there certainly isn't any firm plan for something like that at this point.

I think what is most likely to happen is a series S price drop, and the introduction of a series X spec machine without a disk drive. Eventually the series X will drop in price to be the low cost machine, and there will be an upgraded version with higher specs than the current series X.

MS talked in the middle of last generation about an end of generations. They had to move off of that because they needed a clean break from their relatively lackluster Xbox One sales. But, I do think it's very likely that this is the last clear new generation of consoles from Microsoft. From here it will just be price drops of the existing machines and introduction of higher spec models at the top of the price spectrum.

I do think it's likely that the current series X is the last machine that they will release with a disk drive. Maybe there will be one more, but we are definitely near the end of that, for better or worse. 

If MS really goes out of gens then you can expect a HW refresh from them every 2 or 3 years but sure support for like 3 "gens" at a time. But yes I agree these rumors is just based on nothing but general schedule of HW and most likely will come true even if there was no information really leaked.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

VAMatt said:

That would be a shame (no more disc drive). There are still many parts of the world with limited internet and even though my internet is fine, the lower storage this gen has only made physical releases more important to me. Plus I use the consoles as (4k) blu-ray players as well. If the Series S had a disc drive I would have snapped one up for my home theater (1080p projector).

It's just easier to delete a game knowing you can simply install it from disc again without having to rely on available bandwidth. At least for those that don't have insane patches.... My PS5 is full already and I guess yesterday evening the check for updates cycle came along. 5 minutes of messages, can't update ... free up space. Where do I turn that off. (Some could update, some could not, stupid copy entire game nonsense, and why does almost everything have a patch)

Anyway, I imagine at some point game developers will want to move away from baked lighting/shadows/reflections and use HW ray tracing or some other new techniques only, to ease development and file sizes. We're not at the end yet of only getting more incremental updates, at least one more generational hardware change will happen leaving software based (or rather preprocessed storage based) solutions behind. It will take a while just like the transition from software rendering to GPU. For now console HW ray tracing is in the early 3D card stage, Voodoo 3DFX (1996). Not quite at the GeForce 256 level yet (1999). UT2004 was I think the last game that still offered software rendering (not requiring a GPU)

Surely you'd just retire the Series S when the Series X gets a refresh and then the series X will just become the new S?

RND for only 1 new machine instead of 2.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

The leaker that this thread is based on just gained some credibilty as he was the first to leak the codename Bergamo and it would have 128 zen4 cores that would be dence/compact. It was just revelead by amd.

He's claiming we will see a more powerful Xbox series S refresh next year that will be more expensive than the normal xbox series s. And than speculates based on his source that Microsoft could use exisiting Xbox series S chip with higher clock speed and all CU's enable. Myself think Microsoft would just make a new chip based on zen3/rdna3 using tsmc 6nm and use this for xbox series S refresh, this would make more sense.

Note that the original Xbox series S will not be discontinued but receive a price cut.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

SvennoJ said:
VAMatt said:

That would be a shame (no more disc drive). There are still many parts of the world with limited internet and even though my internet is fine, the lower storage this gen has only made physical releases more important to me. Plus I use the consoles as (4k) blu-ray players as well. If the Series S had a disc drive I would have snapped one up for my home theater (1080p projector).

It's just easier to delete a game knowing you can simply install it from disc again without having to rely on available bandwidth. At least for those that don't have insane patches.... My PS5 is full already and I guess yesterday evening the check for updates cycle came along. 5 minutes of messages, can't update ... free up space. Where do I turn that off. (Some could update, some could not, stupid copy entire game nonsense, and why does almost everything have a patch)

Anyway, I imagine at some point game developers will want to move away from baked lighting/shadows/reflections and use HW ray tracing or some other new techniques only, to ease development and file sizes. We're not at the end yet of only getting more incremental updates, at least one more generational hardware change will happen leaving software based (or rather preprocessed storage based) solutions behind. It will take a while just like the transition from software rendering to GPU. For now console HW ray tracing is in the early 3D card stage, Voodoo 3DFX (1996). Not quite at the GeForce 256 level yet (1999). UT2004 was I think the last game that still offered software rendering (not requiring a GPU)

In theory I have a good internet, but in reality when I first started my PS5 and it asked for a 1Gb update it took almost 1h to download. Even though 2 days later it downloaded a 50Gb game in like the same 1h.

ArchangelMadzz said:

Surely you'd just retire the Series S when the Series X gets a refresh and then the series X will just become the new S?

RND for only 1 new machine instead of 2.

That makes sense from a western world viewpoint.  But the long-term future of the Series S may lay in India, Brazil, and similar, where incomes are much lower and/or import costs much higher.

SvennoJ said: [...]It's just easier to delete a game knowing you can simply install it from disc again without having to rely on available bandwidth. At least for those that don't have insane patches.... My PS5 is full already and I guess yesterday evening the check for updates cycle came along. 5 minutes of messages, can't update ... free up space. Where do I turn that off. (Some could update, some could not, stupid copy entire game nonsense, and why does almost everything have a patch)[...]

Surely even easier still to buy a huge, inexpensive USB HDD and just shunt games off to that?  I think you can support something like up to 8 GB of external drive space on the PS5 and up to 32 GB of external drive space on the Xbox Series consoles.

shikamaru317 said:

This sounds very unlikely to me. Having to optimize for 2 different specs on Xbox Series is probably already a bit of a turnoff for some devs, no way they decide to add a 3rd spec into the mix which has to be optimized. Far more likely that we see a die shrink and possibly smaller redesigned cases alongside price cuts throughout the generation.

Yup, waiting until manufacturing costs drop a little and releasing a discless series X makes more sense to bride the gap. 

Tbh, even that could be counter-productive to the series s. Does the gap even really need to be filled? Sony seeks to sell the full price disc version for a reason.