By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series S refresh

This sounds very unlikely to me. Having to optimize for 2 different specs on Xbox Series is probably already a bit of a turnoff for some devs, no way they decide to add a 3rd spec into the mix which has to be optimized. Far more likely that we see a die shrink and possibly smaller redesigned cases alongside price cuts throughout the generation.



Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

This sounds very unlikely to me. Having to optimize for 2 different specs on Xbox Series is probably already a bit of a turnoff for some devs, no way they decide to add a 3rd spec into the mix which has to be optimized. Far more likely that we see a die shrink and possibly smaller redesigned cases alongside price cuts throughout the generation.

Yup, waiting until manufacturing costs drop a little and releasing a discless series X makes more sense to bride the gap. 

Tbh, even that could be counter-productive to the series s. Does the gap even really need to be filled? Sony seeks to sell the full price disc version for a reason. 



scrapking said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Surely you'd just retire the Series S when the Series X gets a refresh and then the series X will just become the new S?

RND for only 1 new machine instead of 2.

That makes sense from a western world viewpoint.  But the long-term future of the Series S may lay in India, Brazil, and similar, where incomes are much lower and/or import costs much higher.

This is assuming the price of the X will drop down to match the price of the S, as a full replacement.



PS4(PS5 Soon)and PC gaming

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

scrapking said:
SvennoJ said: [...]It's just easier to delete a game knowing you can simply install it from disc again without having to rely on available bandwidth. At least for those that don't have insane patches.... My PS5 is full already and I guess yesterday evening the check for updates cycle came along. 5 minutes of messages, can't update ... free up space. Where do I turn that off. (Some could update, some could not, stupid copy entire game nonsense, and why does almost everything have a patch)[...]

Surely even easier still to buy a huge, inexpensive USB HDD and just shunt games off to that?  I think you can support something like up to 8 GB of external drive space on the PS5 and up to 32 GB of external drive space on the Xbox Series consoles.

Nah, I don't want to use a USB port for that, nor have an external HDD on top or beside / behind the console. Plus copying from HDD back to SSD takes long as well, might as well install from disk. And I hate trying to find something in a menu, while I can pick out the game I want blindfolded from the shelf. I deleted a game so it could patch the others, problem solved. The PS5 only lists a couple games on the menu bar (can't find how to make it work like ps4, maybe you can't yet?) so no point installing more or it's having to browse the game library again.

(I hope you meant TB :p)



SvennoJ said:
scrapking said:

Surely even easier still to buy a huge, inexpensive USB HDD and just shunt games off to that?  I think you can support something like up to 8 GB of external drive space on the PS5 and up to 32 GB of external drive space on the Xbox Series consoles.

Nah, I don't want to use a USB port for that, nor have an external HDD on top or beside / behind the console. Plus copying from HDD back to SSD takes long as well, might as well install from disk. And I hate trying to find something in a menu, while I can pick out the game I want blindfolded from the shelf. I deleted a game so it could patch the others, problem solved. The PS5 only lists a couple games on the menu bar (can't find how to make it work like ps4, maybe you can't yet?) so no point installing more or it's having to browse the game library again.

(I hope you meant TB :p)

For me the PS5 is showing like 8 or 10 games on the main menu (plus the library of course) every game recently installed or open seems to be show on the main.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
shikamaru317 said:

This sounds very unlikely to me. Having to optimize for 2 different specs on Xbox Series is probably already a bit of a turnoff for some devs, no way they decide to add a 3rd spec into the mix which has to be optimized. Far more likely that we see a die shrink and possibly smaller redesigned cases alongside price cuts throughout the generation.

Yup, waiting until manufacturing costs drop a little and releasing a discless series X makes more sense to bride the gap. 

Tbh, even that could be counter-productive to the series s. Does the gap even really need to be filled? Sony seeks to sell the full price disc version for a reason. 

Yep from what we know seems like PS5 discless is 10-20% of total sales and since it is also sold out seems like Sony just put those to say the price starts at 400 to counter whatever MS was doing and not hear much complain from fanbase, they really like to sell the one with disc that is already profitable on the HW.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
SvennoJ said:

Nah, I don't want to use a USB port for that, nor have an external HDD on top or beside / behind the console. Plus copying from HDD back to SSD takes long as well, might as well install from disk. And I hate trying to find something in a menu, while I can pick out the game I want blindfolded from the shelf. I deleted a game so it could patch the others, problem solved. The PS5 only lists a couple games on the menu bar (can't find how to make it work like ps4, maybe you can't yet?) so no point installing more or it's having to browse the game library again.

(I hope you meant TB :p)

For me the PS5 is showing like 8 or 10 games on the main menu (plus the library of course) every game recently installed or open seems to be show on the main.

Yep, plus some other things like the capture gallery. On PS4 you could set it to show all and use folders as well.

Good thing about discs is, the inserted disc game is always at the front. Plus I have more of a visual memory. I often can't remember the name of a game but have no problem finding it on my shelves. I often have to look at my game shelf to remember what a certain game was called. Turning the console / tv on to browse a 2D grid takes so much longer.



SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

For me the PS5 is showing like 8 or 10 games on the main menu (plus the library of course) every game recently installed or open seems to be show on the main.

Yep, plus some other things like the capture gallery. On PS4 you could set it to show all and use folders as well.

Good thing about discs is, the inserted disc game is always at the front. Plus I have more of a visual memory. I often can't remember the name of a game but have no problem finding it on my shelves. I often have to look at my game shelf to remember what a certain game was called. Turning the console / tv on to browse a 2D grid takes so much longer.

I don`t play many games at once so I wouldn't have the same issue you are facing (I don't even use the folders, and usually I remember the name of the games I want to play), but yes physical makes it easier sometimes and the folders helps as well.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

I don`t play many games at once so I wouldn't have the same issue you are facing (I don't even use the folders, and usually I remember the name of the games I want to play), but yes physical makes it easier sometimes and the folders helps as well.

Kids.... They want to play their games. My youngest plays Sackboy, Lego Dimensions and Overcooked. My oldest is still into Ghost of Tsushima, Ark and has erm can't think of the name lol. I call it storage wars, plays it with his friend collecting stuff, build a shack to defend the stuff, server resets every month. And my wife is playing Ratchet and Clank. I'm playing GT Sport and atm Tlou2. It fills up fast and digital games tend to hang around (Wreckfest, Oddworld, Plaguetale on it as well)

BC is a hindrance! :p



SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

I don`t play many games at once so I wouldn't have the same issue you are facing (I don't even use the folders, and usually I remember the name of the games I want to play), but yes physical makes it easier sometimes and the folders helps as well.

Kids.... They want to play their games. My youngest plays Sackboy, Lego Dimensions and Overcooked. My oldest is still into Ghost of Tsushima, Ark and has erm can't think of the name lol. I call it storage wars, plays it with his friend collecting stuff, build a shack to defend the stuff, server resets every month. And my wife is playing Ratchet and Clank. I'm playing GT Sport and atm Tlou2. It fills up fast and digital games tend to hang around (Wreckfest, Oddworld, Plaguetale on it as well)

BC is a hindrance! :p

Gotcha, yes multiple users even more kids that hop around several games can eat up your SDD.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."