By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can The Switch become the best selling video game console in Japan?

Can switch become the best selling video game console in Japan?

Yes, switch #1 64 66.67%

No, 2nd behind the DS 17 17.71%

No, 3rd behind the Gameboy 10 10.42%

No, 4th behind the 3DS 1 1.04%

No 5th behind the PS2 4 4.17%

Total:96

According to Famitsu the Switch has now sold over 32 Million units.

Around the Network
Chicho said:

According to Famitsu the Switch has now sold over 32 Million units.

I suppose surpassing the DS in Japan is a lock now. Japan is big for Switch while PlayStation is secondary, and Xbox is niche. 

Even with sales slowing in Japan recently (and pretty much everywhere), it's still a lock like I said. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I'm trying to understand how we got to 32.99M for the DS?
I'm going through old Famitsu forums and magazines and the last mention I can see at least is Week 52 Dec 24-30 2012, with DS selling 32,863,798 units total in Japan.

I'm not saying the 32.99M is wrong, I'm just wondering where the remaining 126k units were announced.

DS: 32.99M
GB/GBC: 32.47M
Switch: 32.03M(32,027,938)

Switch needs to sell 442k to surpass GB/GBC. Most likely surpasses in April.

Switch needs to sell 962k to surpass DS. Most likely to surpass in July.

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

At this point, I see no possible way in which the Switch doesn't outsell the DS in Japan. All it needs is to maintain its current pace of 40-50k/week for a few more months: It's a done deal. The question I have is how far can the Switch push? Does it cross 34mil? Possibly even 35mil? With 3mil last year, these are not too terribly farfetched projections.

What an incredible comeback from Wii U.

firebush03 said:

At this point, I see no possible way in which the Switch doesn't outsell the DS in Japan. All it needs is to maintain its current pace of 40-50k/week for a few more months: It's a done deal. The question I have is how far can the Switch push? Does it cross 34mil? Possibly even 35mil? With 3mil last year, these are not too terribly farfetched projections.

It passing 35m in Japan is very likely in my opinion.

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:
firebush03 said:

It passing 35m in Japan is very likely in my opinion.

I can see it reaching near 35M by the end of this year and getting near 36.7M, most likely by June 2025. These are just guesses and hopefully can get a better idea once we reach May this year.

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Well it has officially happened, the Switch as of the latest sales update has surpassed the DS in Japan in shipments making it the bestselling console in Japan's history

Congrats to the Switch for being #1 all-time as the best selling console in Japan! Not too much fanfare as it wasn’t a big headline in the earnings report. Amazing run for Nintendo.

Kai_Mao said:

Congrats to the Switch for being #1 all-time as the best selling console in Japan! Not too much fanfare as it wasn’t a big headline in the earnings report. Amazing run for Nintendo.

It has shipped more than any console. It still has not sold in stores more than the GB/GBC & DS. That's why. Also most news don't care about Japan. I care about Japan. And it is a wonderful achievement for Nintendo.

According to Famitsu the Switch has now sold over 32.5 Million units. That means it surpassed the Gameboy. The DS is the only thing left now.