By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can The Switch become the best selling video game console in Japan?

Can switch become the best selling video game console in Japan?

Yes, switch #1 25 60.98%

No, 2nd behind the DS 8 19.51%

No, 3rd behind the Gameboy 6 14.63%

No, 4th behind the 3DS 0 0%

No 5th behind the PS2 2 4.88%

Total:41

About 10 million to go after end of this year? Seems doable.

Sales should start falling next year a bit, but I doubt it'll be a drastic fall from the ~6 million of these two years. I could see it knock out 8+ million in '22 and '23. Assume a spring '24 successor launch (doubt it would be any earlier than that) means by launch of successor it'd maybe be 1.5 million or less to go. I think with a Spring '24 successor launch Switch will just barely eek by DS, but will easily pass it if a holiday '24 Switch 2 launch happens.

Around the Network

The main advantage Switch has is that the DS, like the Wii, fell sharply towards the end of its life, so the main factor in this race will be stamina.

A 2024 replacement for Switch would pretty much guarantee its victory, unless 2023 is a barren desert in terms of software. Hopefully Nintendo isn't stubborn when it comes to price cuts either.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

ShadowLink93 said:
Farsala said:

It is currently far behind the DS launch aligned, so I don't think it will.

However, I agree with Curl-6. If Nintendo doesn't announce the next console, it should be able to do it.

Worldwide NSW is around 13m shipments behind NDS launched aligned (89m v 102m) and it will fall further behind with thursdays Q2 sales report but it can still beat it by having a stronger tail. I think NSW will beat NDS in Japan by being stronger in it's final years.

Add 3.83m for Quarter 19. For Calendar year 2021, Switch is down 2.83m YoY or -18%.

As for the topic, Japan. For Fiscal year 2021, Switch is down 700k YoY or -26%.

Nintendo has revised their forecast down, due to semiconductor shortages.

100%

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil