By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can The Switch become the best selling video game console in Japan?

Can switch become the best selling video game console in Japan?

Yes, switch #1 64 66.67%

No, 2nd behind the DS 17 17.71%

No, 3rd behind the Gameboy 10 10.42%

No, 4th behind the 3DS 1 1.04%

No 5th behind the PS2 4 4.17%

Total:96

The main advantage Switch has is that the DS, like the Wii, fell sharply towards the end of its life, so the main factor in this race will be stamina.

A 2024 replacement for Switch would pretty much guarantee its victory, unless 2023 is a barren desert in terms of software. Hopefully Nintendo isn't stubborn when it comes to price cuts either.

Around the Network
ShadowLink93 said:
Farsala said:

It is currently far behind the DS launch aligned, so I don't think it will.

However, I agree with Curl-6. If Nintendo doesn't announce the next console, it should be able to do it.

Worldwide NSW is around 13m shipments behind NDS launched aligned (89m v 102m) and it will fall further behind with thursdays Q2 sales report but it can still beat it by having a stronger tail. I think NSW will beat NDS in Japan by being stronger in it's final years.

Add 3.83m for Quarter 19. For Calendar year 2021, Switch is down 2.83m YoY or -18%.

As for the topic, Japan. For Fiscal year 2021, Switch is down 700k YoY or -26%.

Nintendo has revised their forecast down, due to semiconductor shortages.

100%

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

It outsold the 3DS. Two more to go

According to the numbers here at VGCharts the Switch is at 24.72 millions here are the others

DS 33.01
GB 32.47
3DS 24.67

And here is an updated Mortal Kombat 1 themed picture of the situation

Around the Network
yo33331 said:
Chicho said:

It outsold the 3DS. Two more to go

you should update the mortal kombat type illustration on the original post, and even maybe remove the 2 options in the poll that are no more valid. (since they also have almost no votes) or even more extremely, reset the poll since some people may want to change their vote from 7 months ago.

On the topic I see it like this:

2022: 4M - 4.5M

2023: 3M

2024 and beyond: 2M

So I see it coming close but not close enough to outsell them. But who knows, when the gap is within 1-2M everything can happen and it can easily go both ways (either a little bit lower or a little bit higher)

Yes is not guaranteed that it will do it. And like you say could go either way but to me is looking very likely.  

I really hope the Switch gets a much longer lifespan. 3rd party titles aren't really pushing the Switch's hardware anyway, and the sales aren't really affected by that, so there's no hurry to upgrade.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I think it can do it, but like with a lot of questions regarding sales milestones for Switch, it depends on how long Nintendo waits before they release a successor. I personally don't see a successor coming until 2025, so if they hold out that long, I think it is doable. Probably something like 4m in 2022, 3m in 2023, 2m in 2024 and then it would just need a little bit more in the last few years after that.

At the current rate it's selling in Japan, surpassing the Game Boy seems like a given. But it will probably fall a little short of matching the DS.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

At the current rate it's selling in Japan, surpassing the Game Boy seems like a given. But it will probably fall a little short of matching the DS.

The difference between Game Boy and DS is barely more than half a million.