By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 41, 2021 - (4th Oct - 10th Oct)

Zippy6 said:
Alistair said:

Happy to say the Switch OLED is sitting on shelves at our local Bestbuy. Not many interested in it. Gamers don't want to spend over $500 CAD for low end mobile hardware? Without a controller? Shocking, I know. Meanwhile if we could only get more PS5s and XBOXs in stock. Maybe they could start by lowering the price in Canada, where the Switch is truly shockingly expensive.

Since you need a controller and the Switch doesn't come with one (and no, the joycons don't count), it is actually cheaper to buy a PS5 than a Switch.

The RRP of the OLED switch is $450 in Canada.

The RRP of the PS5 is $629.99 ($499.99 for digital).

And you might hate the joycons but plenty of people have no issue using them for tv gaming. I think they're fine used detached. I don't use the grip thingie though I think that's trash.

low-end hardware you can make a case for but the rest of your post is... yikes.

No, nobody uses the joycons if they have a choice. Every person I know with a Switch hates them. Yikes. The Switch costs $450 CAD plus tax which is $504, a ridiculous sum when the SNES was $200 and had two controllers and Super Mario World included. 

Apparently you can't read. I said the PS5 with a real controller vs. Switch with a real controller, which it is. $500 for the PS5 digital, $540 plus tax for the Switch. Everyone wants the PS5 digital, but they can't get one.

Around the Network
Alistair said:
Zippy6 said:

The RRP of the OLED switch is $450 in Canada.

The RRP of the PS5 is $629.99 ($499.99 for digital).

And you might hate the joycons but plenty of people have no issue using them for tv gaming. I think they're fine used detached. I don't use the grip thingie though I think that's trash.

low-end hardware you can make a case for but the rest of your post is... yikes.

No, nobody uses the joycons if they have a choice. Every person I know with a Switch hates them. Yikes. The Switch costs $450 CAD plus tax which is $504, a ridiculous sum when the SNES was $200 and had two controllers and Super Mario World included. 

Apparently you can't read. I said the PS5 plus a controller is cheaper than the Switch, which it is. $500 for the PS5 digital, $540 plus tax for the Switch. Everyone wants the PS5 digital, but they can't get one.

So the most expensive switch costs more than the cheapest PlayStation 5 if you conveniently decide the controllers are worthless garbage. Nice! xD

Zippy6 said:
Alistair said:

Apparently you can't read. I said the PS5 plus a controller is cheaper than the Switch, which it is. $500 for the PS5 digital, $540 plus tax for the Switch. Everyone wants the PS5 digital, but they can't get one.

So the most expensive switch costs more than the cheapest PlayStation 5 if you conveniently decide the controllers are worthless garbage. Nice! xD

It's the consensus, not convenient.

Zippy6 said:
Alistair said:

As I've pointed out, so according to this week's sales, home consoles are preferred 2 to 1 vs Switch. But there's a little bubble here at this website where everyone thinks the Switch is popular, when it isn't. This isn't Japan. I see 3 to 1 home consoles over Switches among sales at our store.

Alistair said:
Zippy6 said:

As I've pointed out, so according to this week's sales, home consoles are preferred 2 to 1 vs Switch. But there's a little bubble here at this website where everyone thinks the Switch is popular, when it isn't. This isn't Japan. I see 3 to 1 home consoles over Switches among sales at our store.

Let me get this straight... the Switch "isn't popular" because the PS5,XSX,PS4 and XBO combined outsold it 2:1? Since when did you need to outsell the entire competition to be popular. Switch is already the 7th best selling system of all time, and is forecast to be the 5th best selling system by March. It is popular, and your need for it not to be is funny. How can a system that sold 28 million units last year not be popular.

Around the Network

There is kinda no bubble about it
The switch IS a popular device worldwide.

Seeing switch units on the shelves doesn't mean they aren't selling
All it means is the stores have units in to sell and when one does sell its most likely replaced with another unit from the back instead of having the space just blank

Last edited by Kneetos - on 14 October 2021

Zippy6 said:
Alistair said:

Let me get this straight... the Switch "isn't popular" because the PS5,XSX,PS4 and XBO combined outsold it 2:1? Since when did you need to outsell the entire competition to be popular. Switch is already the 7th best selling system of all time, and is forecast to be the 5th best selling system by March. It is popular, and your need for it not to be is funny. How can a system that sold 28 million units last year not be popular.

Will Alistair post next week when the Switch/Oled outsells the PS5, XSX, PS4, and XBO combined?

Alistair said:

Happy to say the Switch OLED is sitting on shelves at our local Bestbuy. Not many interested in it. Gamers don't want to spend over $500 CAD for low end mobile hardware? Without a controller? Shocking, I know. Meanwhile if we could only get more PS5s and XBOXs in stock. Maybe they could start by lowering the price in Canada, where the Switch is truly shockingly expensive.

Since you need a controller and the Switch doesn't come with one (and no, the joycons don't count), it is actually cheaper to buy a PS5 than a Switch.

Since when is Canada the metric for hardware sales success or failure?

This is what OLED availablity looks like in my area:

$349.99Your price for this item is $349.99
Sold Out <-------
$349.99Your price for this item is $349.99
Sold Out<------
Also, LOL at pretending the joycon isn't a controller.  No one would care if analog drift was a thing or not if a vast number of people weren't using the joycons regularly. 

Alistair said:
Zippy6 said:

Have a little respect! Do you realize how hard a small forum of a few hundred active users has had to work to buy about 90 million Switch consoles just so we can pretend it's popular?

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 14 October 2021

Signature goes here!

Just to throw things a little off topic as I can't remember if this has been talked about or not

But I live in the UK and over here the switch oled (sold out everywhere) costs £309.99n if you were to do a direct conversion to USD it comes out at around $324

Edit: truck I wish I could thumbs up you twice