By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Quest composer Koichi Sugiyama has passed away at age 90.

Honestly never really been too attached to Dragon Quest music and found most of it to be mediocre in comparison to other Square Enix games or JRPGs in general to be honest... it all sounds too samey to me, but maybe there are songs I've not heard that may change my mind. I have mixed feelings because he was an awful person, but I know plenty of people enjoyed his music. Condolences to his family though.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Mnementh said:

I see online people celebrating his death and this is bad. He was a bad person, probably even evil. But nobody deserves death wishes or the death being celebrating.

Tell that to everyone who popped open champagne when Fred Phelps bit the dust.

Or Hitler, Stalin, Osama bin Laden, Jerry Falwell, Bernie Madoff, and every other tyrant, murderer, rapist, abuser, bigot, crook, and other miscellaneous asshole hell-bent on making other people's lives miserable for their own personal gain.

There are people out there that are sufficiently evil to where I can understand why people celebrate their deaths. Sugiyama being a war crimes denialist and general bigot is arguably enough to qualify. It goes to show you that just because someone is talented and creative and contributes a lot to society it doesn't mean they can't be an awful person. I'm all for "separating the art from the artist" and not burying the cultural contributions of bad people, but a bad person is a bad person and should be viewed as such regardless of their contributions.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Sorry but good music does not forgive his horrendous ways. I won't miss him and it's Hayato's time to shine.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Mnementh said:

I see online people celebrating his death and this is bad. He was a bad person, probably even evil. But nobody deserves death wishes or the death being celebrating. Such actions make oneself a bad person.

You just compared someone who is anti-lgbt and a JPN war crime denier to ppl who are happy he's dead.

Not the hill to die on... 

twintail said:
Mnementh said:

I see online people celebrating his death and this is bad. He was a bad person, probably even evil. But nobody deserves death wishes or the death being celebrating. Such actions make oneself a bad person.

You just compared someone who is anti-lgbt and a JPN war crime denier to ppl who are happy he's dead.

And Sugiyama chose to die on his hill....but at least he's dead.

Hiyoooo!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
twintail said:

Hiyoooo!

They need to build a gay bar on that hill just to rub in his face that LGBTs are real people.

CaptainExplosion said:
Leynos said:

Hiyoooo!

They need to build a gay bar on that hill just to rub in his face that LGBTs are real people.

Isn't Pokemon a gay bar? Poke a mon? Poke a man?

Leynos said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Isn't Pokemon a gay bar? Poke a mon? Poke a man?

Not yet it isn't.

I know denying war crimes is bad and disgusting, but putting him on the same level like the monsters who commited these crimes in the first place...

May he rest in peace.

EDIT: By the way, I read about the Nanjing massacre and it almost made me vomit, that's how horrible it is to me. But still, the man does deserve respect for his contributions to the medium.

R.I.P Koichi Sugiyama.
I enjoyed much of the music in DQ.