By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Quest composer Koichi Sugiyama has passed away at age 90.

Obviously he's a piece of shit human. Nobody hopefully is denying that. World War II is not a subject I take lightly and for anyone to deny any war crimes of any kind is a cold hearted waste of space.

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't owe a lot to his compositions. I've learned that a lot of things we love can be made by terrible people so I try to separate the man from his work. Dragon Quest 8's soundtrack remains one of the greatest videogame soundtracks I know and I learned to play an piano by desperately wanting to learn Dragon Quest Music. His music was legendary, he literally changed video game music forever. But his thoughts were evil.

I do wonder who takes on Dragon Quest's soundtracks from here on out. He probably has a successor picked out but man what if Uematsu or Mitsuda composed for a Dragon Quest game. And we'll probably get Orchestrated Soundtracks from the get go from now on. No more butt trumpets.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 07 October 2021

Around the Network

The trolling in this thread is pathetic. There’s no reason to turn a thread about someone’s death into an opportunity to show off just how virtuous you are. These self-interested signal posts reek of insincerity.

One guy in this thread has a history of aggressive racism against Iranians in the Politics forum, going so far as to say a woman there should be raped because she wanted justice for the assassination of her father. It didn’t surprise me one but to see him in this thread hurling stones. He’s just the kind of guy who will exploit a death to indulge in this sort of hatred mixed with virtue signalling.

Don’t be a hypocrite. Show some human decency.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 07 October 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

twintail said:
Mnementh said:

I see online people celebrating his death and this is bad. He was a bad person, probably even evil. But nobody deserves death wishes or the death being celebrating. Such actions make oneself a bad person.

You just compared someone who is anti-lgbt and a JPN war crime denier to ppl who are happy he's dead.

Not the hill to die on... 

I am fully aware of who he is and what he said. But that doesn't make a person celebrating the death of someone else suddenly a hero or something. That behaviour is still shitty, even if the person it is targeted at is a bad person. So be relieved or damn his deeds (as I did), but celebrating it is another thing.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

CaptainExplosion said:
Mnementh said:

I am fully aware of who he is and what he said. But that doesn't make a person celebrating the death of someone else suddenly a hero or something. That behaviour is still shitty, even if the person it is targeted at is a bad person. So be relieved or damn his deeds (as I did), but celebrating it is another thing.

It's hard not to celebrate the death of someone who denied war crimes though. I suppose now you'd want us to mourn Bill Cosby when he finally dies.

Feel free not to mourn. Feel free to point out the bad of the person. I certainly know about his war crime denial and think that was bad. Doesn't mean we need to turn to hate ourself. It would have been better, if he had faced punishment in life for his doing.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Well; I have to say I was not expecting the responses that this thread has gotten so far, but I will also admit I was not educated on Mr. Sugiyama's political views.

Around the Network

Not only one of the best video game composers, but one of the best composers in general. Thanks for your compositions, wish you had different beliefs during your time on this earth. RIP Sugiyama.

Nah DQ is awesome. He didn't create the series.

Anyway, even if he was wonderful. It's not that tragic anyway. The dude was 90. What did you expect, another 30 years of him doing the music?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

CaptainExplosion said:
Poliwrathlord said:

Not only one of the best video game composers, but one of the best composers in general. Thanks for your compositions, wish you had different beliefs during your time on this earth. RIP Sugiyama.

Leynos said:

Nah DQ is awesome. He didn't create the series.

Anyway, even if he was wonderful. It's not that tragic anyway. The dude was 90. What did you expect, another 30 years of him doing the music?

Alright, you've convinced me, I won't boycott Dragon Quest.

Nobody is trying to convince you of anything. Though you are not acting like it in this thread, you are a grown ass man. Your choice, does not effect anybody but you.

CaptainExplosion said:
Jumpin said:

The trolling in this thread is pathetic. There’s no reason to turn a thread about someone’s death into an opportunity to show off just how virtuous you are. These self-interested signal posts reek of insincerity.

One guy in this thread has a history of aggressive racism against Iranians in the Politics forum, going so far as to say a woman there should be raped because she wanted justice for the assassination of her father. It didn’t surprise me one but to see him in this thread hurling stones. He’s just the kind of guy who will exploit a death to indulge in this sort of hatred mixed with virtue signalling.

Don’t be a hypocrite. Show some human decency.

Have you seen your signature?

1. A jest about a little dose of toxic masculinity

2. The use of someone’s death as an opportunity to spew hatred and virtue signals… despite a history of brutal racism against Iranians, even calling for a grieving daughter to be raped for her sadness.

I guess to you those two things are about the same thing :/

The composer of Dragon Quest has died, that’s what this thread is about. It’s not about you - specifically, your hypocritical politics and insincere virtues.

Once more, show some human decency. This isn’t 4Chan.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 07 October 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Xxain said:

Well; I have to say I was not expecting the responses that this thread has gotten so far, but I will also admit I was not educated on Mr. Sugiyama's political views.

Yep, personally I prefer less hatred. We can love his compositions which brought happiness to many children and adults. Of course we can be aware of the bad things he did as well, but it is no reason to spread more hatred.