By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Quest composer Koichi Sugiyama has passed away at age 90.

Dragon Quest series composer Koichi Sugiyama dies at age 90

The oldest game composer.

Around the Network

Lived a looong prosperous life. DQ12 was to be his final project. Hopefully he was able to compose some songs. I wish DQ11 was DQ12, because the DQ team are up there in age and they need to set standard before they pass the series on, which DQ12 is suppose to do. Very unfortunate that Sugiyama could make it through to the end.

Great composer and pop culture icon. Terrible human being. Definitely a person who left a mixed legacy.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Septic shock, that's a painful way to go.
His music was great.
Rest in peace.

I can't say I'll miss him. People like him are the reason much of both China and Korea don't trust Japan to this day.

Last edited by CaptainExplosion - on 07 October 2021

Around the Network

Great music.
Very horrible person.

Don't really care he's gone. DQ will be better without him being attached to it, too.

twintail said:

Great music.
Very horrible person.

Don't really care he's gone. DQ will be better without him being attached to it, too.

I'd like to boycott Dragon Quest unless they remove his name from every game he worked on.

I see online people celebrating his death and this is bad. He was a bad person, probably even evil. But nobody deserves death wishes or the death being celebrating. Such actions make oneself a bad person.

That said, I think Shadow put it best: good artist, terrible political stances. Yes, mixed bag indeed.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I have mixed feelings about him. but i did like much of his music especially from Dragon Quest 8. I guess this means we'll see a new composer now. Which i think is much needed seeing how the music in DQ11 was handled.

Mnementh said:

I see online people celebrating his death and this is bad. He was a bad person, probably even evil. But nobody deserves death wishes or the death being celebrating.

Tell that to everyone who popped open champagne when Fred Phelps bit the dust.