By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Top 12 Million - Global Hardware September 19-25

ShadowLink93 said:
curl-6 said:

Thanks. So Switch is actually well ahead of how much it sold through in 2017 then, before even the holiday season.

Currently at 14,337,789 so far in 2021, at the same week in 2020 it was 15,708,077 so around 1.37m down yoy. 2020 finished on 28,293,919, if 2021 remains flat for the rest of the year then it will finish on 26.92m which is a colossal number but with Oled and a superior software line in October and November than last year had then it should make up a bit of ground on 2020.

Personally I expect 2020 will remain Switch's peak year, but I don't think 2021 will be all that far off it.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
ShadowLink93 said:

Currently at 14,337,789 so far in 2021, at the same week in 2020 it was 15,708,077 so around 1.37m down yoy. 2020 finished on 28,293,919, if 2021 remains flat for the rest of the year then it will finish on 26.92m which is a colossal number but with Oled and a superior software line in October and November than last year had then it should make up a bit of ground on 2020.

Personally I expect 2020 will remain Switch's peak year, but I don't think 2021 will be all that far off it.

I think you are correct, i'm expecting in the ball park of 27.5m for 2021.

curl-6 said:

How much did Switch sell in 2017? I can't find how to show sales by year in the charts, but I remember it being around 15 million, right?

Yes

trunkswd said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

I'm always so sad vgchartz doesn't have any in depth 5th or 6th gen data. Seeing weekly sales for PS2 in its prime would be awesome

VGChartz didn't exist until the 7th generation, so no way for us to have weekly data before then. All there would be are weekly numbers from Japan, monthly from the US, and quarterly from console makers. 

You would get a lot of possitive feedback if you make comparison graphs using only those numbers for PS2. 

Something like this, but using only two consoles and your special touch:

ShadowLink93 said:
curl-6 said:

I think you are correct, i'm expecting in the ball park of 27.5m for 2021.

Yeah, I think it'll primarily come down to how popular the OLED model is, and if it's a big hit, then supply constraints due to the global chip crunch.

Around the Network

Less than half of Xbox Series sales this week are from North America.

That's a significant change from the Xbone where nearly two thirds of its sales came from NA.

What a shame, this could have sold already 20 million easily if it wasn't for the stock 

Has "oh noez, Ninty is d0m3d" already been said?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

curl-6 said:

That's a significant change from the Xbone where nearly two thirds of its sales came from NA.

Considering stock constraings that doesn't tell us much. Even more when there is a lot of people buying in different regions.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Considering stock constraings that doesn't tell us much. Even more when there is a lot of people buying in different regions.

I doubt the number of people importing from other regions is high enough to significantly skew the proportions.