By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Top 12 Million - Global Hardware September 19-25

curl-6 said:
ShadowLink93 said:

Fiscal Year Shipments 17-18 were 15.05m. Calender year 17 shipments would be 14.86m. VGchartz would probably have it 1.5m under shipments so i'm guessing around 13.36m for calender year 17 sell through.

Alrighty, so Switch has almost sold as much as its first calendar year in 2021 YTD, without even a holiday season.

I found the exact number in the Database, Vgchartz has switch selling 13,116,268 in 2017. Go to the charts tab then select hardware from the latest charts section then change the period setting from weekly to yearly and there you have it.



Around the Network
ShadowLink93 said:
curl-6 said:

Alrighty, so Switch has almost sold as much as its first calendar year in 2021 YTD, without even a holiday season.

I found the exact number in the Database, Vgchartz has switch selling 13,116,268 in 2017. Go to the charts tab then select hardware from the latest charts section then change the period setting from weekly to yearly and there you have it.

Thanks. So Switch is actually well ahead of how much it sold through in 2017 then, before even the holiday season.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 October 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

I'm always so sad vgchartz doesn't have any in depth 5th or 6th gen data. Seeing weekly sales for PS2 in its prime would be awesome

VGChartz didn't exist until the 7th generation, so no way for us to have weekly data before then. All there would be are weekly numbers from Japan, monthly from the US, and quarterly from console makers. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

curl-6 said:
ShadowLink93 said:

I found the exact number in the Database, Vgchartz has switch selling 13,116,268 in 2017. Go to the charts tab then select hardware from the latest charts section then change the period setting from weekly to yearly and there you have it.

Thanks. So Switch is actually well ahead of how much it sold through in 2017 then, before even the holiday season.

Currently at 14,337,789 so far in 2021, at the same week in 2020 it was 15,708,077 so around 1.37m down yoy. 2020 finished on 28,293,919, if 2021 remains flat for the rest of the year then it will finish on 26.92m which is a colossal number but with Oled and a superior software line up in October and November than last year had then it should make up a bit of ground on 2020.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 08 October 2021

ShadowLink93 said:
curl-6 said:

Thanks. So Switch is actually well ahead of how much it sold through in 2017 then, before even the holiday season.

Currently at 14,337,789 so far in 2021, at the same week in 2020 it was 15,708,077 so around 1.37m down yoy. 2020 finished on 28,293,919, if 2021 remains flat for the rest of the year then it will finish on 26.92m which is a colossal number but with Oled and a superior software line in October and November than last year had then it should make up a bit of ground on 2020.

Personally I expect 2020 will remain Switch's peak year, but I don't think 2021 will be all that far off it.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
ShadowLink93 said:

Currently at 14,337,789 so far in 2021, at the same week in 2020 it was 15,708,077 so around 1.37m down yoy. 2020 finished on 28,293,919, if 2021 remains flat for the rest of the year then it will finish on 26.92m which is a colossal number but with Oled and a superior software line in October and November than last year had then it should make up a bit of ground on 2020.

Personally I expect 2020 will remain Switch's peak year, but I don't think 2021 will be all that far off it.

Once we get launch week sales numbers for the OLED model we will have a decent idea how close 2021 will be to 2020. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

curl-6 said:
ShadowLink93 said:

Currently at 14,337,789 so far in 2021, at the same week in 2020 it was 15,708,077 so around 1.37m down yoy. 2020 finished on 28,293,919, if 2021 remains flat for the rest of the year then it will finish on 26.92m which is a colossal number but with Oled and a superior software line in October and November than last year had then it should make up a bit of ground on 2020.

Personally I expect 2020 will remain Switch's peak year, but I don't think 2021 will be all that far off it.

I think you are correct, i'm expecting in the ball park of 27.5m for 2021.



curl-6 said:

How much did Switch sell in 2017? I can't find how to show sales by year in the charts, but I remember it being around 15 million, right?

Yes



"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

trunkswd said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

I'm always so sad vgchartz doesn't have any in depth 5th or 6th gen data. Seeing weekly sales for PS2 in its prime would be awesome

VGChartz didn't exist until the 7th generation, so no way for us to have weekly data before then. All there would be are weekly numbers from Japan, monthly from the US, and quarterly from console makers. 

You would get a lot of possitive feedback if you make comparison graphs using only those numbers for PS2. 

Something like this, but using only two consoles and your special touch:



ShadowLink93 said:
curl-6 said:

Personally I expect 2020 will remain Switch's peak year, but I don't think 2021 will be all that far off it.

I think you are correct, i'm expecting in the ball park of 27.5m for 2021.

Yeah, I think it'll primarily come down to how popular the OLED model is, and if it's a big hit, then supply constraints due to the global chip crunch.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.