By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Top 12 Million - Global Hardware September 19-25

How much did Switch sell in 2017? I can't find how to show sales by year in the charts, but I remember it being around 15 million, right?

Around the Network
Tridrakious said:

I remember the Wii hitting a brick wall after year 3, but it's still amazing just how quickly the system died off. Such an incredible first 4 years, just didn't have the longevity to compete with the refreshed Xbox 360 and PS3 after 2009.

True, the Wii had the best 1st and 2nd fiscal year of any home or handheld console ever with 18.61m & 25.95m respectively and even in it's 3rd year it manged over 20m. I remember it trouncing the XB360 & PS3 every week in Sales, Hard to believe that in the end it only outsold PS3 by only 14m due to the Playstation consoles having a very strong tail.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 07 October 2021

eddy7eddy said:

Some News:
Xbox Cloud Gaming is now completely powered by Xbox Series X hardware.
Microsoft has moved toward this hardware setup gradually over the last few months.
The move to Xbox Series X hardware improves load speeds, reduces latency, and brings higher quality visuals.

Hmm, could be a reason we see an uptick in availability on the green side over the coming holidays. We'll have a rough idea how many series consoles have gone into making those servers. Not a very good one though... Chances are some stockpiling for the holidays has also been done.

Good sales from all 3, drop for OLED not as harsh as I thought it would be. 273k for the week that is very likely to be the worst or close to the worst for the year... super impressive.

curl-6 said:

How much did Switch sell in 2017? I can't find how to show sales by year in the charts, but I remember it being around 15 million, right?

Fiscal Year Shipments 17-18 were 15.05m. Calender year 17 shipments would be 14.86m. VGchartz would probably have it 1.5m under shipments so i'm guessing around 13.36m for calender year 17 sell through.

ShadowLink93 said:
Tridrakious said:

I remember the Wii hitting a brick wall after year 3, but it's still amazing just how quickly the system died off. Such an incredible first 4 years, just didn't have the longevity to compete with the refreshed Xbox 360 and PS3 after 2009.

True, the Wii had the best 1st and 2nd fiscal year of any home or handheld console ever with 18.61m & 25.95m respectively and even its 3rd year it manged over 20m, I remember it trouncing the XB360 & PS3 every week in Sales. Hard to believe that in the end it only outsold PS3 by 14m due to the Playstation consoles having a very strong tail.

The switch is the first videogame Nintendo has had to deal with one platform at a time since the NES.

Four pipelines for a dev focus in sell first-party software may be the one reason Wii hitting a brick wall

The other maybe it is the last game direction, likewise Skyward Sword and Other M.  

Around the Network
ShadowLink93 said:

curl-6 said:

Fiscal Year Shipments 17-18 were 15.05m. Calender year 17 shipments would be 14.86m. VGchartz would probably have it 1.5m under shipments so i'm guessing around 13.36m for calender year 17 sell through.

Alrighty, so Switch has almost sold as much as its first calendar year in 2021 YTD, without even a holiday season.

I'm always so sad vgchartz doesn't have any in depth 5th or 6th gen data. Seeing weekly sales for PS2 in its prime would be awesome

I am Iron Man

curl-6 said:
ShadowLink93 said:

Alrighty, so Switch has almost sold as much as its first calendar year in 2021 YTD, without even a holiday season.

I found the exact number in the Database, Vgchartz has switch selling 13,116,268 in 2017. Go to the charts tab then select hardware from the latest charts section then change the period setting from weekly to yearly and there you have it.

ShadowLink93 said:
curl-6 said:

I found the exact number in the Database, Vgchartz has switch selling 13,116,268 in 2017. Go to the charts tab then select hardware from the latest charts section then change the period setting from weekly to yearly and there you have it.

Thanks. So Switch is actually well ahead of how much it sold through in 2017 then, before even the holiday season.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 October 2021

curl-6 said:
ShadowLink93 said:

Thanks. So Switch is actually well ahead of how much it sold through in 2017 then, before even the holiday season.

Currently at 14,337,789 so far in 2021, at the same week in 2020 it was 15,708,077 so around 1.37m down yoy. 2020 finished on 28,293,919, if 2021 remains flat for the rest of the year then it will finish on 26.92m which is a colossal number but with Oled and a superior software line up in October and November than last year had then it should make up a bit of ground on 2020.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 08 October 2021