By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Japan Top 10 Famitsu

Thanks to GameDataLibrary we have the Top 10 PS5 Titles since launch up until September, below is the situation when we add Tales of Arise & Lost Judgement.

PS5 Top 10 Games Famitsu

1. Resident Evil: Village (Capcom) - 67.210
  2. Miles Morales (Sony) - 60.772
  3. Tales of Arise (Bandai Namco) - 60.106 
  4. Demon Souls (Sony) - 58.611
  5. Lost Judgement (Sega) – 33.151
  6. FFVII Remake Integrade (Square Enix) - 30.984
  7. Judgement Remastered (Sega) - 26.292
  8. R&C Rift Apart (Sony) - 24.385
  9. CoD:BO Cold War (Sony) - 20.995
  10. Ghost of Tsushima DC (Sony) - 19.309

TOTAL: 401.815

A week ago Gibson also tweeted that total sales on the PS5 have only surpassed 500K, so outside of the Top 10 the rest of the games are just above 100K combined 

Around the Network

This is pretty rough PS software sales but im also confused about the Xbox numbers. Is this saying only 1,700 software has been bought in total for Xbox?

Ouch. Terrible playstation software numbers. I wonder if numbers are actually decent and digital sales are super high or if just barely anyone is actually buying games.

Even assuming a high digital ratio these are still alarmingly low numbers.
PS5 hardware may be doing okay, but with software doing this poorly, the brand's relevance in the region looks set to remain peripheral.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 02 October 2021

The main problem with the PS5 is that it is essentially locked into being another Sega Master System.  The Sega Master System technically had some good games, but almost no one wanted to buy one.  It had a huge "why bother" factor going against it.  The NES/Famicom had a lot of better games and a much bigger library and I believe it was cheaper too most of the time.  So even if the Sega Master System got some good games, why bother?  The NES/Famicom was still better in every way except for maybe raw power.

That is the situation the PS5 is encountering in Japan.  Why bother?  Ratchet and Clank is a decent exclusive but why bother?  In fact the PS5 might get even more good exclusives, but why bother?  The Switch has better games and a bigger library and it's cheaper than the PS5. (And it's portable too.)  It's better in every way except for raw power.  A lot of PS5 games are going to end up on the Switch too.  For most Japanese people there really isn't much reason to buy a PS5.  Why bother?

No matter how good the PS5 gets, it's going to be completely eclipsed by the Switch.

Around the Network

Software wise its looking really bad in Japan but we dont really know for sure because of digital. If we look at the 3 PS5 exclusives, Returnal, Ratchet and Demon Souls, all selling around 20k in Japan but worldwide they are doing well over 1 million

Pinkie_pie said:

Software wise its looking really bad in Japan but we dont really know for sure because of digital. If we look at the 3 PS5 exclusives, Returnal, Ratchet and Demon Souls, all selling around 20k in Japan but worldwide they are doing well over 1 million

Returnal didn't sell over a million though, at least yet.

It's definitely a combination of different factors. Digital share, scalping etc. But it still looks terrible. My bet is that at least 300k consoles have been sold abroad.

Considering RE8's digital share wasn't high I think we can rule out digital in general being over 50%. Afaik used game sales didn't grow either.

Kyuu said:

Here's what I think is what's causing these embarrassing numbers:

1. The continued decline in notable/major 3rd party games' popularity (across all platforms), and the weak PS5 lineup from a Japanese perspective.

2. Digital ratios being a lot higher than PS4 launch aligned.

3. Backwards compatibility and Playstation Plus Collection. But let me just throw Astro's Playroom in for the giggles.

4. Scalpers and neighboring countries importing PS5's, which inflates the number of actual PS5's in the hands of Japanese players.

5. "dumb-delivery". If I'm not mistaken, some PS5 versions of multiplats cannot be played on PS4. Whereas the PS4 version can be played on both consoles. So it's possible a good portion of these PS4 copies sold are intended to be played on PS5.

Series XS at 1700 copies cracked me up. It's safe to say point 2 applies to a greater effect here. Points 1 and 4 (for the Series X in particular) are likely a factor too. Then there is of course Game Pass which might be killing software sales in Japan in favor of hardware and subscriptions.

1. Momotaro, Monster Hunter Rise, and other games have grown on Switch or Switch/Ps4 

2. Digital ratio in Japan is minimal. Japan it´s a physical massive market, with a massive used gaming market. 

3. Use market for ps4 goes down. But the Plus thing is it´s a trend. Let´s see if this was bothering about this. 

4. Agreed. We seeing Japanese Ps5 in China, Taiwan and Brazil.

5. It´s the norm, the new-gen works old gen and the old gen only works old gen. 

noshten said:

Thanks to GameDataLibrary we have the Top 10 PS5 Titles since launch up until September, below is the situation when we add Tales of Arise & Lost Judgement.

PS5 Top 10 Games Famitsu

1. Resident Evil: Village (Capcom) - 67.210
  2. Miles Morales (Sony) - 60.772
  3. Tales of Arise (Bandai Namco) - 60.106 
  4. Demon Souls (Sony) - 58.611
  5. Lost Judgement (Sega) – 33.151
  6. FFVII Remake Integrade (Square Enix) - 30.984
  7. Judgement Remastered (Sega) - 26.292
  8. R&C Rift Apart (Sony) - 24.385
  9. CoD:BO Cold War (Sony) - 20.995
  10. Ghost of Tsushima DC (Sony) - 19.309

TOTAL: 401.815

A week ago Gibson also tweeted that total sales on the PS5 have only surpassed 500K, so outside of the Top 10 the rest of the games are just above 100K combined 

Great work, man. 

The Ps5 situation is complex

Sony laser focus on West( moving for California)

Sony reduces japan presence ( Japan Studio )

Sony and Microsoft invest more and service and less on-sell games ( the impact we will see in this gen)  

The chip shortage. 

Kakadu18 said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Returnal didn't sell over a million though, at least yet.

It's definitely a combination of different factors. Digital share, scalping etc. But it still looks terrible. My bet is that at least 300k consoles have been sold abroad.

Considering RE8's digital share wasn't high I think we can rule out digital in general being over 50%. Afaik used game sales didn't grow either.

Returnal if not a million yet then its very close id think. They announced 500-600k sold a few months ago. I got a digital ps5 just before Ratchet released and thats the only ps5 game i bought. I also bought a dozen or so digital ps4 games and replaying ps4 games with free ps5 upgrades and i think thats the main reason people are buying the ps5. We dont really know if ps5 consoles being sold aboard just because retail software sales looks terrible. I was in Japan in 2016 and 2018 and i know their Internet connectivity is great and houses are small so storing a pile of blu ray cases is inconvenient. It wouldnt surprised me if the majority of ps5 games sales are digital