By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your primary display for gaming?

What is your primay gaming display

4K HDR VRR 120fps capable 6 8.82%

4K HDR 120fps cabapble 1 1.47%

4K high range HDR (high end model) 11 16.18%

4K medium range HDR (affordable HDR tv) 10 14.71%

4K 2 2.94%

1440p monitor 12 17.65%

1080p 23 33.82%

720p 0 0%

SD tv 1 1.47%

Switch or mobile display 2 2.94%

Total:68

Mine is a 24" Asus VG248QE. That's 1080 at 144 Hz with no VRR since it would have cost quite a bit of extra. That said, aside from the lack of VRR, I'm perfectly happy with this monitor (although I would probably appreciate HDR).

Around the Network
Conina said:
SvennoJ said:

No they can't,  slowing frame pace timing down judder free can only be done with VRR. Speed up or slow down the frame rate as a game play mechanic opens up new possibilities that were never possible before. Just like hand cranking a movie projector, you can play with the flow of time.

There are literally hundred of games controlling the pace of the whole game world (not only the pace of the player) without doing that using the refresh rate or the fps.

Not only the obvious (Max Payne 1 + 2, Stranglehold, F.E.A.R., Superhot, Braid, the Fallout games, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, takedowns in the Burnout games...), but also many other racing games, action games, shooters, platformers, RPGs...

Sometimes "for show" in cutscenes (or at certain points of a special race in the Forza Horizon games or when kicking down a door), often to give the player a temporal advantage by using some perks (f.e. Dishonored 1 + 2), spells or guns (f. e. using a sniper gun). Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart has weapons which slow down time for a a few seconds, and the degree of slowing down depends on the upgrades for the weapon.

I know, but we've never seen a game that controls time by changing the exact amount of milliseconds between frames. It doesn't even have to slow down time, controlled change in frame delivery can create many effects as well. Think outside the box!

Why do you wanna know?
Just kidding, haha.

I have a Samsung 1366x768 (18' Widescreen) as my primary PC display for almost 7 years, and it still works like a charm. I also got a 1080p TV (26'), but I only use it to play my Playstation 2 right now.

A friend of mine told me that a 1080p Screen is not ideal to play PS2, but honestly, I don't see any problem with it. Just set it to 4.3 and you should be fine.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Why do you wanna know?
Just kidding, haha.

I have a Samsung 1366x768 (18' Widescreen) as my primary PC display for almost 7 years, and it still works like a charm. I also got a 1080p TV (26'), but I only use it to play my Playstation 2 right now.

A friend of mine told me that a 1080p Screen is not ideal to play PS2, but honestly, I don't see any problem with it. Just set it to 4.3 and you should be fine.

A 720p user, they still exist! :) Well 768p. I still use a 1280x1024 monitor on my desktop. It's much easier to read the text on that than on my (smaller) 1080p laptop screen. 5:4 Narrowscreen! PS2 looks great on 1080p with component cables. Indeed, just use the right aspect ratio preset. I also have a ps2 connected to a 34" widescreen 600 lines CRT, black borders there as well. It does look better on CRT but perfectly fine on 1080p LCD.

I have an AOC 27' 1440p / 144mhz monitor and a glorious 48' Panasonic Viera plasma 1080p for when I want to play on the couch.

Around the Network

The person that plays on an SDTV..... are you playing retro games exclusively?

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Why do you wanna know?
Just kidding, haha.

You have an 18 foot monitor and a 26 foot TV?  If so, that's spectacular. 

But, I'm guessing you meant inches, which are designated by ", rather than ', which denotes feet.  

VAMatt said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Why do you wanna know?
Just kidding, haha.

You have an 18 foot monitor and a 26 foot TV?  If so, that's spectacular. 

But, I'm guessing you meant inches, which are designated by ", rather than ', which denotes feet.  

Yeah, inches.

P2419H. Not designed for video games at all, this a monitor you'll probably find in developing counties' offices in about 2030, but I mean, I found it for about 130 dollars brand new when it usually starts at 200, so I couldn't say no. And, besides, it's 1080p, has an IPS panel and has decent colors; can't complain when I use it solely for my Switch. 

If I get something that can output at higher resolutions, I would like something better, indeed, but there isn't space in my room for anything larger than 27 inches. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I use the Dell S2721DGF. It's a 27in IPS monitor that runs at 1440p, 165hz. It's G-Sync and FreeSync compatible, so no actual hardware in it. It's been GREAT though! I haven't had any issues with it after a year of gaming on it, and coming from a TN panel, the colors are beautiful to look at. It does have HDR functionality but it's kind of....meh, so I mainly just turn that off.

I do have a 24in ViewSonic gaming monitor that runs at 1080p, 144hz, but that's mainly for web browsing, discord, twitch, etc lol. Plus it was cheap for a secondary.