By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your primary display for gaming?

What is your primay gaming display

4K HDR VRR 120fps capable 6 8.82%

4K HDR 120fps cabapble 1 1.47%

4K high range HDR (high end model) 11 16.18%

4K medium range HDR (affordable HDR tv) 10 14.71%

4K 2 2.94%

1440p monitor 12 17.65%

1080p 23 33.82%

720p 0 0%

SD tv 1 1.47%

Switch or mobile display 2 2.94%

Total:68

Last year when lockdowns started I got a 75" Sony Bravia (OLED, smart, etc...).  I mostly wanted it to watch Disney+ content.  I also play Switch and PS4 games somewhat on it too.  It's kinda overkill for gaming though since I don't even have plans to buy a PS5 at this point.

I also game on plenty of other screens.  For example, I have a 10" PVM for retro gaming, and I've mostly been playing FF14 lately on a laptop that I wasn't sure was good enough to play the game.

Around the Network

I guess when my TV inevitably dies I'll have to get a 4K replacement, but for the moment, call me a caveman, but 1080p still looks great to me, and I don't feel the need to upgrade. 4K, HDR, and 120fps, while they look cool in the electronics store, feel a little like overkill to me at this stage.

When I'm playing a 1080p/60fps game like Ori and the Blind Forest or Hotshot Racing, it looks about as sharp and smooth as I could ask for.

100 inch projection screen, secondary is my PC monitor 27inch 4K which I only use for strategy games.

Samsung Q7fn, has vrr thankfully... Only it's 60fps in 4k though but will suit me for the remainder of the generation and... Because I also have a 1440p hdr 144hz monitor, also with vrr.

Poll is surprising... Was expecting more 4k. PS5 needs vrr and 1440p support too judging by the poll. Tiny sample size though to be fair.

I'm playing on an upper-middle level 75", 4k, HDR (with Dolby Vision and HDR10+), VRR, 120hz TV. I just got it a few months ago and I am very happy with it. However, I had been planning to wait until this holiday season when I would have been comfortable spending a little bit more money to get either slightly larger TV, or a slightly better TV. But, my old TV broke, so I was kind of forced into purchasing before I was really ready. That part kind of sucked.

On the other hand, I got a very good deal on this TV because it was the end of the model year. So, maybe I can reasonably justify replacing it a year or two sooner than I would normally be able to.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I guess when my TV inevitably dies I'll have to get a 4K replacement, but for the moment, call me a caveman, but 1080p still looks great to me, and I don't feel the need to upgrade. 4K, HDR, and 120fps, while they look cool in the electronics store, feel a little like overkill to me at this stage.

When I'm playing a 1080p/60fps game like Ori and the Blind Forest or Hotshot Racing, it looks about as sharp and smooth as I could ask for.

I have always been of the opinion in regard to tv/gaming tech that if it suits your needs everything's good. come to think of it it's just like sex really.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 02 October 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

So we're sitting at about 9% VRR capable displays with people that come to this site.

The poll for current gen consoles yielded 461 people with either ps5 xsx or both. Compared to that it's only 1%. So anywhere in between 1% and 9%. It's a start, but I doubt it will have an influence on how games are made this gen. Outside gaming forums the percentage is likely negligible, but still nice to get a 40 fps mode, 120 fps mode and VRR options.

It will be a long time until VRR can be used for cool effects. For example deliberately changing the frame rate pace as a game play element. Or have a sub world / alternate reality / mini games running at a different pace.

SvennoJ said:

It's a start, but I doubt it will have an influence on how games are made this gen.

How games are made? VRR isn't anything that has to be programmed into a game. It works automatically when the hardware supports it. Game developers just have to offer a mode where the fps aren't locked to 30 or 60 fps.

It's no rocket science. Most PC games of the last 30 years can handle other refresh rates than 30, 60 or 120.

SvennoJ said:

It will be a long time until VRR can be used for cool effects. For example deliberately changing the frame rate pace as a game play element. Or have a sub world / alternate reality / mini games running at a different pace.

VRR is for smooth frame times and for avoiding torn frames, slow downs, dropped frames.

Not for  "cool effects" or the pacing of a game... these can and should be done independant of the display refresh rate.  

Last edited by Conina - on 03 October 2021

Conina said:
SvennoJ said:

It's a start, but I doubt it will have an influence on how games are made this gen.

How games are made? VRR isn't anything that has to be programmed into a game. It works automatically when the hardware supports it. Game developers just have to offer a mode where the fps aren't locked to 30 or 60 fps.

It's no rocket science. Most PC games of the last 30 years can handle other refresh rates than 30, 60 or 120.

SvennoJ said:

VRR is for smooth frame times and for avoiding torn frames, slow downs, dropped frames.

Not for  "cool effects" or the pacing of a game... these can and should be done independant of the display refresh rate.  

No they can't,  slowing frame pace timing down judder free can only be done with VRR. Speed up or slow down the frame rate as a game play mechanic opens up new possibilities that were never possible before. Just like hand cranking a movie projector, you can play with the flow of time.

I've done it with time lapse photography however there it's the opposite. Slowly changing the interval between frames then playing them at a fixed frame rate to watch things speed up and slow down fluently. VRR will be a new tool at some point in the future. Maybe we'll get an experimental indie this gen exploring the capabilities of VRR, however with how each display is still different (in fps ranges where VRR works) it might take another gen.

For now, it can only be used to avoid screen tearing.

SvennoJ said:
Conina said:

No they can't,  slowing frame pace timing down judder free can only be done with VRR. Speed up or slow down the frame rate as a game play mechanic opens up new possibilities that were never possible before. Just like hand cranking a movie projector, you can play with the flow of time.

There are literally hundred of games controlling the pace of the whole game world (not only the pace of the player) without doing that using the refresh rate or the fps.

Not only the obvious (Max Payne 1 + 2, Stranglehold, F.E.A.R., Superhot, Braid, the Fallout games, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, takedowns in the Burnout games...), but also many other racing games, action games, shooters, platformers, RPGs...

Sometimes "for show" in cutscenes (or at certain points of a special race in the Forza Horizon games or when kicking down a door), often to give the player a temporal advantage by using some perks (f.e. Dishonored 1 + 2), spells or guns (f. e. using a sniper gun). Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart has weapons which slow down time for a a few seconds, and the degree of slowing down depends on the upgrades for the weapon.