By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your primary display for gaming?

What is your primay gaming display

4K HDR VRR 120fps capable 6 8.82%

4K HDR 120fps cabapble 1 1.47%

4K high range HDR (high end model) 11 16.18%

4K medium range HDR (affordable HDR tv) 10 14.71%

4K 2 2.94%

1440p monitor 12 17.65%

1080p 23 33.82%

720p 0 0%

SD tv 1 1.47%

Switch or mobile display 2 2.94%

Total:68
kenjab said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I know it's a 4K model (Sony Bravia) but I couldn't really pick which one of your 5 options for 4K was the right one.

Well, it's definitely not the first option because none of the Sony TVs have VRR yet. Most Bravias over the past 3 years would have 120Hz, I think, so that would put it in the 2nd option. If it's a bit older then it would have 60Hz but still be high-end so it would be the 3rd option. Do you know the model number of yours?

It's XBR-65X900E

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
kenjab said:

Well, it's definitely not the first option because none of the Sony TVs have VRR yet. Most Bravias over the past 3 years would have 120Hz, I think, so that would put it in the 2nd option. If it's a bit older then it would have 60Hz but still be high-end so it would be the 3rd option. Do you know the model number of yours?

It's XBR-65X900E

Yeah that TV has 120Hz, but like SvennoJ said it's not HDMI 2.1 so it can't do 4k/120.  But it does have local dimming and 10-bit so it's a high end 4K HDR set (3rd option in the list).

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

TruckOSaurus said:
kenjab said:

It's XBR-65X900E

Here's the full spec list for that tv
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e

Ticks all the boxes for a great HDR experience at 4K.

A special note for this tv

Update 06/12/2018: A note for Xbox One X and Xbox One S owners: 1080p @ 120 Hz from the Xbox is only supported on this TV when the Xbox's connection type is changed from Auto-detect (Recommended) to HDMI: (Xbox > Settings > Display & sound > Video fidelity & overscan > Display > Connection > HDMI). Unfortunately in this mode 4k, HDR, 50 Hz and 24 Hz aren't possible, so this mode is only recommended when the higher refresh rate of 120 Hz is more important to you than these other features.

Update 06/18/2018: Correction, 24 Hz and 50 Hz are in fact possible with the Xbox's connection type set to HDMI.

Might be different with Series S and X. I wonder why we can't have 1080p120 with HDR. HDR seems to be reserved to 4K input.

Anyway yay for standards... Every tv is different.

mjk45 said:
SvennoJ said:

The PS5 exceeded my expectations by far. The dual sense is a great piece of tech, feels great with Astro and Ratchet & Clank. I'm looking forward to playing GT7 with it. I did play GT Sport with it, but of course just the same rumble as on ps4 for now. It does feel more 'gritty' and defined (the rumble) compared to the DS4.

Ratchet and Clank looks insane, sometimes I lose track of what to look at, so much detail on screen. The HDR color is great and it loads extremely fast. I click play and have the habit of making a cup of tea while it loads, except it starts instantly now lol.

GT Sport also loads faster yet kinda pointless when you still have to wai for everyone else to load. But nice to load to start screen a bit faster. Update is still slow, must be the game. I updated both the ps4 pro and ps5 versions together (was a patch yesterday) and instead of 35 minutes to copy the game (108 GB) it took 28 minutes. (ps4 pro was at 80% when ps5 was done). Still far too long! I hope GT7 has a more sensible patch process. (ps5 game updates have been really fast so far)

My oldest has started GoT on ps5, looks good, but next to Ratchet and Clank it looks last gen of course. I haven't played it yet, want to know how dual sense works there. My kid says it's great, especially with the bow. You can really feel the tension on the string.

My wife and kids have been playing Sackboy together (I already bought 2 extra controllers). It looks good but I've gotten a bit bored of the LBP look. Doesn't look all that appetizing to me anymore. My kids added one of their friends in via share play, their friend playing on ps4. It just worked, very nice.

You can be logged into your profile both on ps4 and ps5, yet if you start the same game the other one gets suspended. (Tried starting GT Sport on my account both on ps4 and ps5, was wondering what would happen). Anyway with ps4, ps4 pro and ps5, 3 can now play on my ps+ account.

Some things aren't as good though. I prefer the ps4 UI, actually I prefer the ps3 UI over the rest. Some things now take more steps and I was using my ps4 to chat (logged into the same account) instead of the small window you get on ps5... Also I could not find how to block people on ps5. On ps4 I go to the players met list to block troublemakers in GT Sport, yet on ps5 I can't find players met, only under party, but I don't want to invite them to a party....

And one night I wanted to play R&C and it got stuck on checking save data in the cloud. No way to skip, psn had an outage in my area and thus the game wouldn't start... After I turned my router off, I could start the game and play on. I later found where to log out on ps5, another layer down in network settings. It was just a one time thing, but very annoying the game doesn't have a time out or skip option, just hanging on checking save data in the cloud.

4K blu-ray looks great, loads faster than blu-ray on ps4, has a quick resume. I turned the system off midway through, resumed from where I was the next day no problem. Maybe it's the movie, on ps4 or rather with blu-ray it depends on the series or movie whether you get to resume or load back to the menu.

Headphones work great, just plug it into the controller. The 3D audio sounds convincing in the set up, but honestly while playing I don't get as much immersion out of it as with my 5.1 surround setup. Headphones still mostly sound like it plays in your head instead of sitting in the middle of the action. The dual sense adds a lot more imo, and with headphones on you don't hear the speaker in the controller.

Anyway great system, time to play more R&C!

Thanks for the in-depth reply it was interesting and greatly appreciated😊

Small correction, you can't play two different digital games on the same account simultaneously (ps4 and ps5). I just tested it, or rather Outer wilds was updating on ps4 then started automatically, which suspended GT Sport on PS5 (disconnected from race, ratings down the drain, good to know for future use). So only possible to play disc based games on the same account. (while off-line, not allowed to play 2 games on the same account while connected to the internet)

At least it's a little better than with ps4 and ps4 pro. If my kid accidentally chooses my profile on his ps4 while I'm racing on ps4 pro, I get kicked out. With ps4 and ps5 you can still be logged in on the same account without games getting suspended. Modern 'conveniences' ugh.

Yeah that's a big no, it should alert you to being signed in somewhere else and at least ask before kicking the other system out. And what's the reason behind only being allowed to play one game at a time if you have multiple systems... (you can with different accounts using the same ps+ account, but not if you want to use the same account. So convenient, not)

I have been juggling between different TV's recently. I moved over from a Sony 3D SXRD 1080p projector when I started playing more games and watching fewer movies.

Got a Sony 4K HDR TV in 2020 but the 4K@120Hz was bugged and no VRR support update was forthcoming. I had to fight John Lewis (in the UK) to get them to allow me to return it because they were trying to rely on GDPR legislation to say that since I signed in on the TV that somehow that would be a breach of my privacy or something dumb.

So I ended up with a cheaper but somehow much better-looking Philips 55OLED805 which supports Dolby Vision HDR, but no VRR. The input lag is about 33ms anyway... that's a two frame lag at 60Hz, so it performs as an entry-level TV with game mode, but nothing close to something like LG CX.

Around the Network

4K medium range HDR television. If I didn't have a PS4 Pro (and a 4K Blu-ray player), I probably would've stuck with 1080p. Unless something crazy happens to shorten the life of the TV (an accidental break or something else) it should also be the TV I use for PS5. I'm probably not getting a PS5 until 2023, but I haven't even had the TV for a year yet.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

SvennoJ said:
mjk45 said:

Thanks for the in-depth reply it was interesting and greatly appreciated😊

Small correction, you can't play two different digital games on the same account simultaneously (ps4 and ps5). I just tested it, or rather Outer wilds was updating on ps4 then started automatically, which suspended GT Sport on PS5 (disconnected from race, ratings down the drain, good to know for future use). So only possible to play disc based games on the same account. (while off-line, not allowed to play 2 games on the same account while connected to the internet)

At least it's a little better than with ps4 and ps4 pro. If my kid accidentally chooses my profile on his ps4 while I'm racing on ps4 pro, I get kicked out. With ps4 and ps5 you can still be logged in on the same account without games getting suspended. Modern 'conveniences' ugh.

Yeah that's a big no, it should alert you to being signed in somewhere else and at least ask before kicking the other system out. And what's the reason behind only being allowed to play one game at a time if you have multiple systems... (you can with different accounts using the same ps+ account, but not if you want to use the same account. So convenient, not)

It seems backwards to me the easiest way would be to give priority to whoever is online and  have a account in use message pop up for whoever is trying to use the same account.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:

It seems backwards to me the easiest way would be to give priority to whoever is online and  have a account in use message pop up for whoever is trying to use the same account.

I guess its to prevent you getting locked out of your account in case of a server glitch or someone hacked your account. But a warning message should appear first at least. Plus the restriction is kinda pointless. You can use the same ps+ account with different accounts, you can play digital games at the same time online. I bought one digital copy of NMS and we can play together online, one ps4 set as the primary, the other I'm logged in on my account. Maybe it's a technical issue. Two games trying to upload trophy data etc to the same account at the same time could cause glitches.

It's just very annoying to suddenly get suspended in the middle of a race. It happened before when my kid turned the ps4 on and it auto logged into my account, throwing me out of the race on the ps4 pro. You can change the auto sign in, that's disabled now!

SvennoJ said:
mjk45 said:

I guess its to prevent you getting locked out of your account in case of a server glitch or someone hacked your account. But a warning message should appear first at least. Plus the restriction is kinda pointless. You can use the same ps+ account with different accounts, you can play digital games at the same time online. I bought one digital copy of NMS and we can play together online, one ps4 set as the primary, the other I'm logged in on my account. Maybe it's a technical issue. Two games trying to upload trophy data etc to the same account at the same time could cause glitches.

It's just very annoying to suddenly get suspended in the middle of a race. It happened before when my kid turned the ps4 on and it auto logged into my account, throwing me out of the race on the ps4 pro. You can change the auto sign in, that's disabled now!

I would say its there to prevent trophy cheating where a number of gamers use the same account. Thankfully I haven't been hacked but usually the account holder needs to get it reset anyway and unlocked if it has been locked by the hacker.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Alienware 25 Gaming Monitor - AW2521HF. Its specs are 1080p-240Hz-IPS-Adaptive Sync, this is for my big factor PC and MacBook Air M1

Then there's Alienware 27 Gaming Monitor - AW2720HF, which is also 1080p-240Hz-IPS-Adaptive Sync, it's for my consoles and small factor gaming PC... Somehow i felt much more comfortable than my laggy 2020 model 43 inch Samsung 4K TV.

Can't believe 4K-120Hz-Adaptive Sync TVs are 55 inch or bigger as exclusivity.