By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

How many subscribers does MS need for other companies to follow?

20 million 6 13.33%

30 million 4 8.89%

40 million 6 13.33%

50 million 13 28.89%

60 million 2 4.44%

70 million 1 2.22%

80 million 0 0%

90 million 1 2.22%

150 million + 12 26.67%

Total:45
SvennoJ said:
smroadkill15 said:

Lol what? It took 6 years for Netflix to reach the same sub numbers Game Pass was at in 4 years and it took year 8 for it to reach similar growth that it took for Game Pass in 4 years, so twice as long. Game Pass is still limited to Xbox consoles, PC, mobile, and tablets, compared to the number of platforms Netflix is available on now. Xcloud launched last week in Japan, Mexico, Australia, and Brazil with high demand in those regions. The number of regions will continue to grow and the amount of platforms will as well. 

Look, I found an graph that's readable. Take note. 

Erm it says in your own graph it took 6 years for Netflix to even go international, 4 years to come to XBox, 10 years to reach more of the world.
Besides that, the internet landscape was vastly different when Netflix started and streaming was still very new.
Starting in 2005 vs 2017, totally different.

You're just proving GP is lagging behind ;)

Netflix still had a bigger audience reach than Game Pass when both comparable started, which was limited to only Xbox consoles until June 2019, when it came to PC. Then 2020 when Xcloud(beta) launched to the public. Game Pass is in it infancy. The fact we have people on here saying their is no way Game Pass could be the "Netflix of gaming" is such a narrow minded way of looking at it, especially when we can clearly see the growth Game Pass already has. Obviously both services were limited early when they started and Game Pass is still finding it's potential audience with it's current limited number of regions and devices it's available on now, while Netflix has pretty much exhausted all types of devices it can reach. 

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
SvennoJ said:

2005 had 4 billion internet users able to stream video? There aren't even 4 billion people able to stream video now.

GP launched in a different landscape, one of pretty much always online consoles.

fine 1 billion vs 50 million

There are more than 1 billion windows computers in the world (2017 data) over 2 billion computers in the world in 2019.
Plus now 15 billion cell phones in 2021 (why do people have multiple cellphones???)

Anyway GP is still very much tied to generational boost. I wonder how it will play out during this gen.

SvennoJ said:
kirby007 said:

fine 1 billion vs 50 million

There are more than 1 billion windows computers in the world (2017 data) over 2 billion computers in the world in 2019.
Plus now 15 billion cell phones in 2021 (why do people have multiple cellphones???)

Anyway GP is still very much tied to generational boost. I wonder how it will play out during this gen.

You're still ignoring the fact Game Pass wasn't available on PC's until 2019, 2 years after it launched, then 2020 when Xcloud launched(beta) on only Android devices. Then on iPhones in 2021. How many of those 2 billion computers have the specs capable of running all the Game Pass PC titles? Less than a quarter of them easily. The shittiest PC could run Netflix as long as it has access to the internet. Xcloud only became available on PC's this year. 

smroadkill15 said:
SvennoJ said:

You're still ignoring the fact Game Pass wasn't available on PC's until 2019, 2 years after it launched, then 2020 when Xcloud launched(beta) on only Android devices. Then on iPhones in 2021. How many of those 2 billion computers have the specs capable of running all the Game Pass PC titles? Less than a quarter of them easily. The shittiest PC could run Netflix as long as it has access to the internet. Xcloud only became available on PC's this year. 

nah you are confusing src and sven

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
smroadkill15 said:

I can't tell the difference anymore. 

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
kirby007 said:

very simple one is just arguing in bad faith and one is upset gamepass has a bigger growth than VR

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

You forgot add scarlet nexus. I started playing last night and it's amazing. Then u have astria ascending, octopath traveller, a plagues tale. Love that game alot! Also the medium. One of my fav horror games of this year. These are some that I remembered playing and finishing it recently! 

Ashadelo said:

wow, some of you guys in this thread are taking a dump on Gamepass when you clearly know little to nothing about it. Gamepass has many games on it that are NOT from Microsoft, a lot of those same games are on Switch and Playstation that you play and know full well they are not mobile or FTP games. To say that Gamepass is going to go to the way of free to play or Microtransaction hell just proves you have no idea what you are talking about nor have actually tried the service.

I will help you out, here a few games on Gamepass that have little to no microtransactions.

Hades
Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, X. X-2, XII, XIII, XIII-2, XIII: LR, XV
Every single Kingdom Hearts Game
Every Single Doom game including Doom 64
DragonQuest XI
Aragami 2
Psychonauts 2
Katamari Damacy Reroll
Lumines Remastered
The entire Yakuza Series
Elder Scrolls III, IV, V

And many many more games that have little to no microtranctions. Gamepass isnt Satan in human flesh, so stop demonizing it. The games that are on gamepass (apart form 1st party games) will not be on there forever, some games come and go quickly, others stay around for a bit of time. So there is a lot of incentive to buy games that are on gamepass, especially RPG's and multiplayer games as some of them take a while to complete and once they leave gamepass they wont be back, but while they are on gamepass there is a special discount for gamepass subscribers so a lot of people do buy them.

Ashadelo said:

wow, some of you guys in this thread are taking a dump on Gamepass when you clearly know little to nothing about it. Gamepass has many games on it that are NOT from Microsoft, a lot of those same games are on Switch and Playstation that you play and know full well they are not mobile or FTP games. To say that Gamepass is going to go to the way of free to play or Microtransaction hell just proves you have no idea what you are talking about nor have actually tried the service.

I will help you out, here a few games on Gamepass that have little to no microtransactions.

Hades
Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, X. X-2, XII, XIII, XIII-2, XIII: LR, XV
Every single Kingdom Hearts Game
Every Single Doom game including Doom 64
DragonQuest XI
Aragami 2
Psychonauts 2
Katamari Damacy Reroll
Lumines Remastered
The entire Yakuza Series
Elder Scrolls III, IV, V

And many many more games that have little to no microtranctions. Gamepass isnt Satan in human flesh, so stop demonizing it. The games that are on gamepass (apart form 1st party games) will not be on there forever, some games come and go quickly, others stay around for a bit of time. So there is a lot of incentive to buy games that are on gamepass, especially RPG's and multiplayer games as some of them take a while to complete and once they leave gamepass they wont be back, but while they are on gamepass there is a special discount for gamepass subscribers so a lot of people do buy them.

kirby007 said:
smroadkill15 said:

very simple one is just arguing in bad faith and one is upset gamepass has a bigger growth than VR

haha, I don't actually know what I'm arguing anymore, but I'm indeed upset about the lack of growth in VR (and MS still ignoring it, not delivering any VR to one X, nor Series X)

SvennoJ said:
smroadkill15 said:

Lol what? It took 6 years for Netflix to reach the same sub numbers Game Pass was at in 4 years and it took year 8 for it to reach similar growth that it took for Game Pass in 4 years, so twice as long. Game Pass is still limited to Xbox consoles, PC, mobile, and tablets, compared to the number of platforms Netflix is available on now. Xcloud launched last week in Japan, Mexico, Australia, and Brazil with high demand in those regions. The number of regions will continue to grow and the amount of platforms will as well. 

Look, I found an graph that's readable. Take note. 

Erm it says in your own graph it took 6 years for Netflix to even go international, 4 years to come to XBox, 10 years to reach more of the world.
Besides that, the internet landscape was vastly different when Netflix started and streaming was still very new.

And the gaming landscape is new territory for subscriptions, so we can expect it to take some time, just like it took Netflix a lot of time to take off. It's not as if anyone had been doing anything like Gamepass had before they started (some minor companies did with their very limited selection of games, but nothing involving hundreds of owned ips along with many more revolving third party games like GP does).

Dulfite said:
SvennoJ said:

And the gaming landscape is new territory for subscriptions, so we can expect it to take some time, just like it took Netflix a lot of time to take off. It's not as if anyone had been doing anything like Gamepass had before they started (some minor companies did with their very limited selection of games, but nothing involving hundreds of owned ips along with many more revolving third party games like GP does).

Disagree. Netflix launched as a total oddity first of its kind trying to take on the big cable monopoly and it had somewhat lacking content compared to cable but it was offering the commodity. Everything was a gamble to Netflix and people where and should have been hesitant.

Xbox gamepass on the other hand launched in the xbox ecosystem and was offering the exact type of content that audience consumes at a lower price, if you dont mind not owning your games. Gamepass never asked or needed xbox gamers to switch ecosystem of drop any existing content they owned. Yet when it launched to its like 30 to 35m userbase they where all hesitant. now its almost 60m and the whole pc and cellphone market and people are still hesitant to jump on something that other streaming services already layed the foundation off. 

And the reason is simple. subs dont work for games like they work for media because of the time investment each title requires. People can watch a full season a day on netflix, or multiple shows and only take a few hours of investment. the same cant be said for gaming. And another factor is that the majority of gamers are not school kids that play games all day, its actually adults. with less time that if you say here are 500 games for $180 a year they would say "why?". People like myself can only play on a good month a single game. If its a multy player game they can be there for a long time. Thats something I just dont believe off all the gamepass fanatics where they say they played hundreds of games they never played before. I would call that a big lie as not even kids who play from after school to sleep time would play that many games. People who have jobs and or family's will choose their time wisely and pick only a few games they know they will enjoy. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.