By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why doesn't Nintendo just have 2 subscription services?

Zippy6 said:

Online free, retro game subscription, option to just buy retro games to own. Ideal scenario.

Exactly 

Around the Network

I wonder what the new subscription will cost. I mean it cant be more than 30 bucks a year, right? A 10$ increase seems fair.

I'll never forgive Microsoft for starting the paid online trend. Thats fucking bullshit.

As someone who plays on PC with free online. Nintendo hasn't done anything to entice me personally with their bare bones NSO. Old retro games that I already grew up playing isnt enough personally. I'm still waiting on themes, eshop reviews, messaging system, achievements etc. Basic online features at this point.

The new NSO tier is interesting because the introduction of Sega Megadrive open up for others non Nintendo consoles.
Maybe the service will be restricted to consoles with small sized roms/games and this will exclude any cd-based console like Saturn or Dreamcast.

In my opinion, the regular NSO service will include NES, SNES and GB/GBC (next year), while in the top tier NSO service we will (hopefully) get:

-Nintendo N64 and GBA
-SEGA Megadrive, MasterSystem and GameGear
-SNK NeoGeo and NeoGeo Pocket
-NEC PC-Engine/Turbografx

Last edited by JimmyFantasy - on 25 September 2021

Around the Network

Their online is barely worth their asking price, and now they want more, for something that isn't worth the extra price either. Just sell the games, dammit.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

JimmyFantasy said:

The new NSO tier is interesting because the introduction of Sega Megadrive open up for others non Nintendo consoles.
Maybe the service will be restricted to consoles with small sized roms/games and this will exclude any cd-based console like Saturn or Dreamcast.

In my opinion, the regular NSO service will include NES, SNES and GB/GBC (next year), while in the top tier NSO service we will (hopefully) get:

-Nintendo N64 and GBA

But who is interested in old SEGA and SNK classics, but doesn't already have lots of their games and/or collections?

I'm only semi-interested, but already have

• several Sega Genesis collections + most Sonic games + a few SEGA Ages games
  • the SNK 40th Anniversary collection + the Samurai Shodown collection + lots of additional SNK games (most thanks to Amazon Prime)
  • several Capcom Classics collection
  • the Atari Vault with 150 games (2600 + 5200 + Arcade)
  • many DreamCast ports (Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, Night into Dreams, Shenmue 1 + 2...)

Last edited by Conina - on 25 September 2021

I'm against the first one, I love Virtual Console, but Nintendo it's stubborn like a hell. 

JimmyFantasy said:

-Nintendo N64 and GBA

And Saturn, I believe. 

I like subscription model of Game Pass, because the library keep growing with new games and you will get something to play eventually unless you really hate everything about modern gaming of course. In both cases, you can just unsubscribe and buy whatever you want as GP isn't blocking anybody to release their games for purchase

Nintendo approach is awful because:

1) Legacy systems library are not growing, the last good addition for SNES library was what? Donkey Kong? It was months ago

2) They mostly have their own IPs, as third parties most often will release their games for purchase (thanks god)

3) They don't offer a option for you to buy if you decide to cancel your subscription, which is in my opinion the worst ofensor here 

4) Seems like they plan to ask more money to put more legacy titles (now it's N64, maybe next year is GB/GBC games)

5) If they decide to change their subscription model for next generation, all the money you spend to keep the rights of playing the games you want will be virtually gone and unlike MS I'm not seeing Nintendo quite eager to keep this model forever which makes me feel slightly insecure 

6) The games are attached with online play, meaning if you are done with retro gaming (like I am currently) you still need to subscribe for NES/SNES games as they don't offer an online play only" option. This practice is called bundling, and is considered illegal in several countries, mine included. Need to point that, in this case, what makes the practice illegal is not the bundling itself, rather that you can't buy both products separately, that's why neither Game Pass nor PS Plus would fall into anti-bundling laws