By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS planning big takeover,wants to take games away from Nintendo/Sony (Rumor)

Tech innovation and industry growth was going to happen with or without Sony. The rest of that is just the usual Chartz “bad when MS does it, great when Sony does it” nonsense.

And I agree, investors don’t care much about the Xbox division because it is chump change in the grand scheme of things. All the more reason for them to not care that Bethesda hasn’t pumped out some best sellers yet ?

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
kirby007 said:

i think i said this before but ill repeat it, its not like zenimax suddenly makes zero dollars because of the takeover. fruit is already there, you all are focusing on the trees that will develop from the next set of fruits

What game from Zenimax is selling enough right now that's making them enough money to completely cover, and then some, the new cost of running all of those studios?

i know you still live in the fanboy era where DLC etc don't exist, but you dont need a newly released game to generate profit

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

JackHandy said:

Ever since the original Xbox launched, we were all predicting a time when Microsoft would open its wallet and go a on a blitzkrieg of epic proportions. It never happened. But maybe that's about to change. Regardless of the implications on the industry, it should be interesting to watch.

EA? Activision? 

Scary to think they could afford either one, if they wanted to.

I doubt MS has interest in purchasing EA or Activision. EA makes most of their money with gambling, not games. Activision has a shitty treatment of their workers. Also, bith have licensed IPs, that may go in another direction after MS takes over, so the purchase would lose value. No, I don't see anyone buying these two in the foreseeable future.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Tech innovation and industry growth was going to happen with or without Sony. The rest of that is just the usual Chartz “bad when MS does it, great when Sony does itâ€Â nonsense.

And I agree, investors don’t care much about the Xbox division because it is chump change in the grand scheme of things. All the more reason for them to not care that Bethesda hasn’t pumped out some best sellers yet ðŸ˜Â

You clearly didnt read microsoft thread here after sony last conference to see the meltdowns , asking for microsoft to do the same type of deals sony is doing. 

“Microsoft thread” 

“meltdowns”

What? What type of deals is Sony doing? 

LudicrousSpeed said:

Tech innovation and industry growth was going to happen with or without Sony. The rest of that is just the usual Chartz “bad when MS does it, great when Sony does it” nonsense.

And I agree, investors don’t care much about the Xbox division because it is chump change in the grand scheme of things. All the more reason for them to not care that Bethesda hasn’t pumped out some best sellers yet 😁

That's nonsense. Without Sony, cartridges would have been used for a further entire generation. Without Sony, and others, Blu-Ray would not been adopted.

You seem to be keen on false equivalencies. MS are not like Sony. As of now, they're buying spree is a complete admission of utterly failing to cultivate studios for three generations in a row.

It works both ways. MS sharesholders dure donlt appreciate seeing Xbox burn tens of billions of dollars in a perhaps goalless pursuit that could be given to them through dividends.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
thismeintiel said:

Who's in last place? Yet again?

I'm sure Xbox fans are hoping that MS just buys everything up. Can't beat them legitimately, so just buy the competition. Truth is Xbox is not MS. MS is not throwing that kinda cash around for Xbox on a constant basis. I mean they barely buy big timed exclusivity anymore, when that was there MO during the 360 and early XBO era.  We're also seeing fewer big 3rd party Day One games coming to Game Pass.

They have yet to even see the fruits of their Zenimax purchase, which won't happen til late 2022, maybe even 2023. Investors aren't going to be happy if they buy yet another $7B+ company, only to remain in a distant 3rd place.

No one in the industry does anything without spending money. It's funny to see posts like these coming from Sony fans, I guess some of you are just too young to remember how Sony entered the industry and began dominating with the PSone. Hint, they spent a lot of money.

I'd love to see your breakdown on how many "big" third party games come to GamePass day one now versus what used to. I mean, as a GamePass user I know you are factually incorrect, but I'd just love to see your math.

@bold, after all these years you still don't understand how this stuff works. That's why you keep predicting with every Xbox console that this will be their last one. 360 will be the last one. 360 model S will be the last one. Xbone will be the last one. Scorpio will be their last console. Xbox One S is their swan song. Series X is their last console. Investors don't give a crap about "3rd place". They care about money. Can you still make a lot of money in "3rd place"? Yep, sure can. So investors will be happy.

MS's market cap is trillions. You guys need to stop worrying about their piggy bank, they'll be ok.

How are those even comparable? You guys talk about Xbox like it's an infant just getting into the industry. Xbox has only had one gen fewer than the PS brand, 4 total. They should have had their shit together by now. Yet, you guys forgive them for having so few games in the last half of the previous gen, most of which were mediocre. And now, launching a console with barely anything on the plate.

And you just keep making stuff up. I said XBO would be the last because of its poor performance. Then, later, if Series X suffered a fate worst than the XBO they would be done with HW. That has yet to be seen.

You're right investers don't give a crap about 3rd, but they do care about wasting money on making and pushing HW if they are just going to sell it at a loss, just to rack in less than 30M in sales, aka distant 3rd. Don't worry, no one is saying MS would leave gaming altogether. But, I don't think they care about putting out HW, other than maybe a streaming box for GamePass, if they are making good money moving their games to PC and GamePass.

kirby007 said:
thismeintiel said:

What game from Zenimax is selling enough right now that's making them enough money to completely cover, and then some, the new cost of running all of those studios?

i know you still live in the fanboy era where DLC etc don't exist, but you dont need a newly released game to generate profit

Ah, fanboy. Have to resort to insults, huh? Even though you already lost the debate with that childishness, care to name the hot DLC they are selling that's making up for the millions it costs to run all of those new studios?

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 20 September 2021

src said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Tech innovation and industry growth was going to happen with or without Sony. The rest of that is just the usual Chartz “bad when MS does it, great when Sony does itâ€Â nonsense.

And I agree, investors don’t care much about the Xbox division because it is chump change in the grand scheme of things. All the more reason for them to not care that Bethesda hasn’t pumped out some best sellers yet ðŸ˜Â

That's nonsense. Without Sony, cartridges would have been used for a further entire generation. Without Sony, and others, Blu-Ray would not been adopted.

You seem to be keen on false equivalencies. MS are not like Sony. As of now, they're buying spree is a complete admission of utterly failing to cultivate studios for three generations in a row.

It works both ways. MS sharesholders dure donlt appreciate seeing Xbox burn tens of billions of dollars in a perhaps goalless pursuit that could be given to them through dividends.

you mean like they minded msn, nokia, zune etc?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Ryuu96 said:
LivncA_Dis3 said:

i think they would need to recover and recoup that 7.5 bil before purchasing another mega company,
yeah they swimming in cash but they will wait for this 7.5 bil acquisition to be successful 1st before doing it again...
buying another 7.5+ bill company without return of investment isnt like a simple walk into Mordor.

They don't need to recover it anytime soon, they don't give a crap about that in the short term and likely won't take that into consideration at all when acquiring new studios.

Zenimax was acquired entirely by cash on hand, cash sitting in a bank doing nothing except accumulating interest, Microsoft's main thinking will be "how can Zenimax benefit Game Pass" and "Will the revenue/profit from Zenimax be more than the interest on $7.5bn in a bank" the answer to that is likely yes.

This is the same conversations had with Mojang and everyone questioning how they'd instantly make that money back when that likely wasn't on Microsoft's mind at all, Mojang was acquired at the time with oversees cash which they couldn't bring to America as it would be taxed to shit, it's better to spend money to make even more money.

Then there's also inflation that is about to hit and you don't want massive amounts of cash sitting in a bank doing nothing when inflation hits, that is why they've been splashing the cash lately, whether on Zenimax for $7.5bn or Naunce for $20bn or their attempted acquisitions of Discord for $12bn and Pinterest for $51bn. Microsoft ain't got no worry about cash when they make almost $15bn in cold hard profits every 3 months.

Linkedin/Github were both loss leading operations for many years and Linkedin cost like triple the amount of Zenimax, not everything is an instant "how will we make this money back?!"

Thats not how treasuries work LMAO

Apple isn't sitting there worried that there near $200B hoard of cash is going to inflate due to some forum posters inflation fear mongering. Cash isn't held just as USD but through money market funds, through US treasury bills etc etc and they could care less about those assets inflating.

The reason MS is pressured to buy is because they have massive margins and yet investors are not seeing reflected in dividends. No one is similarly pressuring Apple because Apple have a ton of new ventures that they are investing in, from AR web standards, AR glasses, VR headsets, self driving cars, new chips, wearable health, payment solutions etc

MS on the other hand has very few big consumer brands unlike Apple, Facebook, Amazon and Google. They are mostly a B2B company (Windows, Azure, 365), Bing, which has single digit marketshare and gets money from ads, even LinkedIn gets most of its money from recruiters/pubs.

Without Xbox, their next biggest consumer brand is Surface.......the CEO already mentioned this, wanting to buy out communities because MS does not have that consumer band allegiance that even companies like Sony or Playstation has. They tried buying TikTok, failed, they tried buying Discord, failed, they tried buying Pinterest, failed.

MS is not going to let a loss leading business, like Xbox, continue if its clear that it has been pigeonholed to tiny marketshare. Right now they have abandoned the platform business model as Playstation have dominated them. Now they are trying the service Gamepass model. If that fails, who knows what they'll try next.

VersusEvil said:

"that's sad in my opinion :( How do you like acquisitions like this?"

Because I don't tie myself to a single gaming ecosystem. There's never been a single game I've not been able to play that I've wanted. So whoever buys who doesn't affect me and maybe you should actually look into what a monopoly actually is.

Same. Other than Nintendo. Had a switch for a while but it wasn't worth it so I sold it.

My prediction: MS will buy Sony and Nintendo, shut them down, wind down XBox and end gaming forever.

Whenever someone new starts making games, they'll buy them and shut them down too.  Forever.  

I know this because I own a Windows PC, which means I'm an insider.