By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS planning big takeover,wants to take games away from Nintendo/Sony (Rumor)

I like how we worry about investors not getting a proper ROI on MS, i mean if MS shafts the xbox brand that means someone else picks up the pieces. No loss for us gamers

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
kirby007 said:

i think i said this before but ill repeat it, its not like zenimax suddenly makes zero dollars because of the takeover. fruit is already there, you all are focusing on the trees that will develop from the next set of fruits

What game from Zenimax is selling enough right now that's making them enough money to completely cover, and then some, the new cost of running all of those studios?

What are you on about? People don't make purchases of that size expecting to see their investment returned that quickly. It will take years for them to make a profit off that purchase, but then from that point on it will make them TONS of money having done it. They spent billions on Mojang for the purpose of obtaining Minecraft. I remember thinking there is no way they will make their money back off Minecraft because it was already owned by so many people. Here is the revenue that game generated each year since 2012, boy was I wrong:

2012$211 million
2013$326 million
2014$165 million
2015$350 million
2016$420 million
2017$370 million
2018$500 million
2019$375 million
2020$415 million

Source

It will take a while, but eventually, years from now, people will look back at the revenue generated by the Zenimax studios and view them the same way we do Mojang now. And yes, Zenimax games cost a lot more to develop, but they are also 2-3 times more expensive to buy (they usually start at $60, whereas you can and always have been able to buy Minecraft for $30 or less). Microsoft invests for the long-haul profit, not the short-term profit.

src said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Tech innovation and industry growth was going to happen with or without Sony. The rest of that is just the usual Chartz “bad when MS does it, great when Sony does itâ€Â nonsense.

And I agree, investors don’t care much about the Xbox division because it is chump change in the grand scheme of things. All the more reason for them to not care that Bethesda hasn’t pumped out some best sellers yet ðŸ˜Â

That's nonsense. Without Sony, cartridges would have been used for a further entire generation. Without Sony, and others, Blu-Ray would not been adopted.

You seem to be keen on false equivalencies. MS are not like Sony. As of now, they're buying spree is a complete admission of utterly failing to cultivate studios for three generations in a row.

It works both ways. MS sharesholders dure donlt appreciate seeing Xbox burn tens of billions of dollars in a perhaps goalless pursuit that could be given to them through dividends.

Uh, what? The PSone was the 4th console released that gen IIRC and two others released before it that used CD’s. And BluRay would have been adopted either way. That’s as silly as me saying video game consoles would still be using 56k if it wasn’t for Xbox. It’s silly for the same reasons your comment is. One, natural progression of technology would have ensured broadband came around anyway. And secondly, Xbox wasn’t first. 

You’re missing the point regarding revenue. Someone made a silly comment about investors being unhappy with “third place”. I simply pointed out that investors are happy if they are making money, they don’t play console warz.

kirby007 said:

I like how we worry about investors not getting a proper ROI on MS, i mean if MS shafts the xbox brand that means someone else picks up the pieces. No loss for us gamers

Yeah, and on top of that no MS investor is upset right now. They just announced a huge buyback, meaning current shareholder's shares just got a good amount more valuable because there are now less shares (or will be soon) on the market, making each share go up in value. On top of that cherry they also announced increased dividend % for investors. Those claiming investors are anything more than happy with MS right now aren't paying attention to facts.

thismeintiel said:
kirby007 said:

i think i said this before but ill repeat it, its not like zenimax suddenly makes zero dollars because of the takeover. fruit is already there, you all are focusing on the trees that will develop from the next set of fruits

What game from Zenimax is selling enough right now that's making them enough money to completely cover, and then some, the new cost of running all of those studios?

You seem to forget that Sony paid for some of the development of Deathloop on top of that game just recently releasing. Also, this exactly the reason why Zenimax Media sold to Microsoft, Microsoft is footing the bill of running all the studios. 

There also continuous revenue stream coming from Elder Scroll Online and Fallout 76. Plus, all the game that were added to gamepass would of netted an extra revenue stream but who knows how it get structure between Zenimax and Microsoft now. 

Around the Network

Watching Ryuu eviscerate all the FUD in the thread 

@thismeintiel 

no point in going back and forth on your doomsday prediction every time MS releases new hardware. Search on this forum is broken.

Ill just wait for your breakdown on that big third party GamePass stuff. 

thismeintiel said:
TheTitaniumNub said:

I already play on PC, I could care less if Microsoft buys every studio in existence at this point. Sounds like Sony and Nintendo just need to step their game up.

Who's in last place? Yet again?

I'm sure Xbox fans are hoping that MS just buys everything up. Can't beat them legitimately, so just buy the competition. Truth is Xbox is not MS. MS is not throwing that kinda cash around for Xbox on a constant basis. I mean they barely buy big timed exclusivity anymore, when that was there MO during the 360 and early XBO era.  We're also seeing fewer big 3rd party Day One games coming to Game Pass.

They have yet to even see the fruits of their Zenimax purchase, which won't happen til late 2022, maybe even 2023. Investors aren't going to be happy if they buy yet another $7B+ company, only to remain in a distant 3rd place.

The Series X|S is selling pretty damn well, and outpacing every other Xbox console before it.Xbox is more than just a console brand now. Soon enough smart TV's will have an Xbox Game Pass App making it the most accessible gaming brand out of the big 3.

We are seeing fewer big 3rd party games coming to Game Pass? Lol smoking the good stuff I see. This year has had more big 3rd party Day one titles than any previous year combined. Back 4 Blood is right around the corner, then followed by big 1st party releases to finish off the year. Then next year will probably have more than this year with Stalker 2, Scorn, Plagues Tale 2, Atomic Hearts, Warhammer Darktide, and plenty more to be announced. 

Ryuu96 said:

Also, I'll defend the US a little, this isn't only a US thing, Embracer Group is the biggest culprit of this from a European standpoint, they're basically gobbling up the entire European market and have now started to expand into America, they have 80 frigging studios and they're in talks with 20+ more at minimum. They became the biggest publisher in terms of studios in the span of a few years of acquisitions and are now worth more than even Ubisoft.

Heck an Embracer Group investor predicted that they will be hitting Activision's market cap in the near future, they sure as sh*t won't slow down their acquisitions anytime soon, if anything they'll go bigger if that is their goal. Then there's Tencent, a Chinese company, who does a lot of acquisitions, company mergers have happened in the past across the entire world, from America to Japan.

As for Xbox, they ain't nowhere near the biggest publisher in terms of market share, studio numbers, employee count, etc. So I don't see any measure which puts them anywhere near to being a monopoly yet, if they do get close, I will call them out, I don't want a monopoly but the gaming industry is a lot bigger than some of you give it credit for, there's still multiple giant publishers, there's still hundreds of indie studios. If you know where to look you will see new AAA studios being formed all the time by former veterans of other studios; I can think of multiple from the top of my head, the former Bungie CEO alone has established 3 new AAA studios, the Arkane co-founder established a new studio, Aspyr is former Bioware veterans and multiple other studios have been former by Bioware veterans, from AA-AAA, etc. etc.

Studio is Acquired > People Leave > They Set Up New Studios > Studio is Acquired > People Leave > Etc. - Has been happening for years now.

Only thing I feel sorry for is some folk having their IPs taken away from their platform of choice if they can't afford a 2nd console or PC. If you can though, I'm sorry, Lol. Just get one if it bothers you that much? I would depending on what IP it is. If Sony acquires a studio I liked, ah that would suck but I would move on, I'd accept it, Microsoft is doing acquiring, Sony is moneyhatting, Sony is acquiring, they're doing whatever makes most sense for their business and ensures they remain competitive.

Folk were complaining for years that Xbox had nothing and mocking them, and now when they try to remedy that it's just "not like that" but the alternative given of building everything from the ground up or only acquiring close partners (which lets be honest, Xbox didn't have many significant ones after the Xbox One era) would have taken years to see any effect, would have ensured they stayed dead for this generation.

I think to Microsoft it would have been either that or close shop, I selfishly want Xbox to stay alive, I don't want Playstation to die either, the competition is good. All 3 are doing great and focusing on their own thing for the most part, Sony will be fine without Zenimax, in fact I still predict they win this generation pretty easily.

Take-Two rumour is nonsense, this thread is panicking over an very weak rumour, Lol.

I couldn't have said it better, I'd just change the part about preferring Xbox since I'm currently a Playstation guy. =P

thismeintiel said:
TheTitaniumNub said:

I already play on PC, I could care less if Microsoft buys every studio in existence at this point. Sounds like Sony and Nintendo just need to step their game up.

Who's in last place? Yet again?

I'm sure Xbox fans are hoping that MS just buys everything up. Can't beat them legitimately, so just buy the competition. Truth is Xbox is not MS. MS is not throwing that kinda cash around for Xbox on a constant basis. I mean they barely buy big timed exclusivity anymore, when that was there MO during the 360 and early XBO era.  We're also seeing fewer big 3rd party Day One games coming to Game Pass.

They have yet to even see the fruits of their Zenimax purchase, which won't happen til late 2022, maybe even 2023. Investors aren't going to be happy if they buy yet another $7B+ company, only to remain in a distant 3rd place.

Its because they are in 3rd place which is why they can buy massive studios without triggering a monopoly. 

Deathloop shows good signs the talent behind the company. Add Double Fine's Psychonauts 2 and the future looks bright on MS's recent purchases.