By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS planning big takeover,wants to take games away from Nintendo/Sony (Rumor)

fauzman said:
shikamaru317 said:

If another big publisher acquisition happens (and I'm not saying it will, as the main insider backing it doesn't have the best track record and some other insiders have already said they haven't heard anything about it), I'd say Sony really only has themselves to blame. They have been continually instigating this with numerous timed hat deals, most recently the KOTOR remake, a series which was Xbox console exclusive in gen 6, and before that it was timed hat deals on Forspoken, FF16, FF7R (including a 6 month extension to the original 1 year deal), Deathloop, and Ghostwire Tokyo. We also have rumors that Sony is working on or has signed timed hat deals on Bioshock 4 and Street Fighter 6 behind the scenes (that one might be a lifetime hat deal like SF5).

You can't really expect MS not to retaliate against Sony blocking numerous games that would have otherwise been day one on Xbox, from appearing on Xbox day one. You might argue that Phil should only respond with buying timed hats of their own, but Phil is not a big fan of timed hat deals after he spent $100m hatting Rise of the Tomb Raider, only for peoole to attack him online and the close release proximity to Fallout 4 to kill it's sales and limit the benefit of the money he spent. He would rather invest permanently in making Xbox a stronger platform by acquiring studios and publishers. Afterall, an acquisition builds up your own platform, a timed hat deals is mainly designed to hurt those on other platforms.

Honestly I am a little gobsmacked that that you are suggesting that Sony are to blame for MS's practices. Lets face it, neither MS and Sony have shied away from this sort of thing in the past though obviously this is something that MS seems to have stopped.

However, if what you say is correct, I think that Sony will be pleased to think that MS fears them so much that they spent billions buying a game publisher a,nd may do so again if this current rumour is to be believed. Ultimately, any and all responsibilities for MS's decisions have to fall on them. They underdeveloped their game studios, focused on the wrong things (kinect), and even when they tried really hard (in the 8th gen) , the games they have made have been generally average. To Sony's credit, when they were facing the exact same situation in the PS3 era, they reduced their reliance on external developers, built up their studios (and yes bought a few that they had good relationships with) and came out with a better offering.

In this same situation, MS has essentially said it is way too hard to match Sony and has done the ultimate moneyhat. Don't get me wrong - buying Bethesda was a totally sensible move if you have the money so I have no problem with that. But lets not blame Sony for MS's own failings. 

MS is not purchasing Devs and publishers because they fear Sony.  Actually if anything MS is not even looking at Sony the same way anymore.  MS whole goal and it includes the whole company is to grow GamePass.  MS has left the console war a while ago and is focus on delivering games on a billion devices.  MS decisions to purchase and fill out their development studios is a direct result in their push to build GP as the game service of choice.  The only group that is still in the console war are fans who continue to believe every move MS make is about Sony.  Why waste money purchasing timed exclusives when you can buy the whole company. 

So while you believe MS is trying to match Sony, you are still living in the past.  MS goals is not to match Sony.  They are not purchasing publishers or devs to compete with Sony, they are looking at a much greater prize which has galvanized the whole company behind and their CEO.  Get their Games service on every device that can play games.  If MS purchase another company or publisher, you can believe it has nothing to do with locking games away from Nintendo or Sony.  Hell, MS would be glad to run Gamepass on either of those 2 systems if they want MS games.  The only company at the moment who is playing the lock away content game is Sony.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

1. As I said, IO Interactive is building an entire studio for this, backed by Microsoft, not all successful MMOs are known IPs only but yes, a lot are years old, know why, cause they're MMOs, Lol. There's no reason to assume IO Interactive's MMO won't be big simply on the basis of it being an MMO, that's ridiculous, you know nothing about it, I'm fairly sure I know the real reason why you think it won't be big though.

2. Feels like you basically ignored everything I said, Lol. This new company, WB Discovery will not have to rely on licensing, AT&T is still in huge amounts of debts, AT&T as recently as 3 months ago sold another studio from Warner Bros, the core focus of this new company is a movie/tv streaming service to compete with Disney Plus/Netflix. AT&T does not need some gaming products to boost their own IPs as they're already massive but if they wanted to they could just as easily license them out to Microsoft, it's a win win. Microsoft pays AT&T for the studios, Microsoft pays AT&T for the license, AT&T no longer has to fund development.

Also as I already said, AT&T doesn't own the IP to Harry Potter, Lego or Lord of the Rings so they're already paying some companies, it would not be surprising in the slightest if AT&T does decide to sell a few more studios, I'm not sure who exactly but I would put TT Games and Monolith most at risk.

3. Just posting the law you're referring to since you never seem to source your stuff yourself. Anyway, own enough stake and you become the owner, but you even say the law isn't tested yet, I would say you can doubt all you want but it says right there in the law that there are exceptions and it isn't impossible, it is mostly focused on companies which "deal with sensitive technologies" which isn't gaming companies, Lol.

But, we won't see Microsoft do it anyway, if anything it will be Tencent who starts acquiring Japanese companies.

4. Meh. You don't read anything I say. You act like Bethesda was on the brink of closure, Lol. They did suffer a titles under-performing but would have been fine, I've never claimed that Microsoft is acquiring Take-Two but to suggest that they wouldn't sell if they were available cause Microsoft is in last place is laughable, then why did Zenimax sell to Microsoft? You see how many folk are acquiring lately? I seriously doubt Microsoft wasn't Zenimax only suitor.

I don't think any public company is up for sale until I hear about it from a reputable source but c'mon man, a lot of these multi-billion dollar public companies are owned by nothing more than a collection of rich folk and holding companies holding various amounts of shares, if they were deciding to sell they would not give a f*ck about allegiances, about who is in last place, about who they have more timed exclusives with, Lol.

You're basically suggesting it'll go like this.

Microsoft: We will give you $10bn to sell to us.
Company: Nah, you're in last place buddy, I'm gonna accept the $6bn offer instead.

Insanity, Lol. You're applying console warrior logic to business. You think Zenimax owners (which included a Private Equity firm) gave a shit that Microsoft was in last place when Microsoft rolled up and threw $7.5bn at them? Lol.

Again, GTA 6 won't be timed exclusivity, that's even more laughable than a lot of the stuff you've been condescending towards users for believing in this thread.

1. Barely built studio with low number of people, new IP, no past experience....more evidence here than your wishful thinking

2. There's so much wrong here. TV and streaming is focused on IP which Warner Media has, which WBI uses and which boost IP strength. LMAO at Discovery somehow thinking that a gaming arm that makes profit and boosts their IP is not useful, when their competitor Disney is desperately trying to boost their IPs through gaming and when Netflix has also announced its foray into gaming. You didn't think this through at all. Just a low level excuse to justify mindless acquisition pandering. So no, WBI is important to Discovery. Also WB has the gaming license to those titles.

Furthermore, MS would be the last place they would license their IPs to. They are in last place, and have been absolutely destroyed by the competition in terms of creating massive IPs (MS have 1/2 10M+, Sony have 7/8).

3. The entirety of big Japanese publishers are under the restricted list LMAO Nope Japan is not going to sell any of those companies to foreign owners, let alone to China, a country whose companies have to follow whatever the CCP say.

4. On the contrary, it is your delusional take that is console warrior ish. Did you even look at the shareholder structure before making outrageous claims that a few rich men can choose. What a joke.

A cursory look will tell you that Insiders own 1% of shares. Near 90% of shares are from the biggest investment funds, you know the thing the American public invest in to get their retirements/pensions etc.

Its completely stupid and financially ignorant to act like chucking money means you can buy every company. Zenimax was in bad financial health and a private company. They were looking to be bought way before MS came in. MS offered an outrageous deal, because Xbox was at risk on being permanently put down and Zenimax agreed.

Not matter how hard Xbox fans wish it was, Take Two is nothing like Zenimax.

We'll see. I expect PS5 to beat XSX, like the PS4, a 70:30 split. GTA5 made $2B revenue in 9 months, 30% is $600M. Sony definitely have some kind of exclusive contract with GTA.

padib said:
src said:

What a joke of a post. After pages of conversation revolving around how most of the publishers follow the platform they get most money/sales on, you come up with a post that somehow includes the CDi, like that's going to convince anyone to not follow Nintendo.

Your posts are funny. They already explained to you that Nintendo approached Sony to make a CD add-on to the SNES called the Nintendo Playstation.

It was CD-based.

Rather the irony that you failed to catch is that Sony's greedy tactics turned Nintendo off when they tried to steal their licensing formula.

And the further irony is that those same greedy tactics like stealing Square and moneyhatting devs to get exclusivity is what will eventually expel them from the market because Microsoft's wallet is so big they win by default.

And I am personally against these trends, but given that either Sony or Microsoft dominates, Microsoft releasing everything multiplat except for on their competitors' platforms makes it easier to root for them.

@OP. Nintendo has survived snobbing from 3rd parties for decades, they are now fully independant and have absolutely zero to worry about.

Amazing revisionist historian here. Nintendo were the greedy monopoly that third parties hated, and Sony, rightly so, put them in their place.

MS's wallet is so big that they've been last place by default for 3 generations LOL

Ryuu96 said:
padib said:

@OP. Nintendo has survived snobbing from 3rd parties for decades, they are now fully independant and have absolutely zero to worry about.

Funny and true, Nintendo has zero reason to worry, Microsoft could acquire another 3 major publishers and there's a good chance Nintendo will still outsell them, I don't think any company comes close to Nintendo's ability to push consoles, their 1st party console selling power or that their hardware is just more interesting on itself.

There's a reason why Microsoft/Sony more often than not sell their hardware at a loss but Nintendo doesn't, Lol. Microsoft and Sony rely a lot on 3rd party revenue or 3rd parties to sometimes push their consoles, Nintendo on the other-hand, not so much.

Sony will be fine though, even if Microsoft acquires another major publisher (but there's no reason to believe they are right now, quite the opposite, the more reputable Xbox insider has said they're focusing on mid sized studios again like the 2018 - 2019 batch) but yeah, Sony's brand power is amazing, they have a large stable of 1st party IPs already with big selling power, there's still dozens of publishers and major multiplatform titles.

Don't really think any company has a reason to worry so far, they're all focused on their own thing and seem to all be doing well.

• Sony outsells Nintendo consoles, or comes close to. PS5 is the fastest selling console of all time while being stock limited.
  • Sony made profit on PS4 hardware 6 months in. PS5 is now profitable as well.
  • Playstation 1st party is now so strong that they get massive money from both 1st and 3rd party. 60M 1st party games sold a year puts them up there with the top publishers.
  • If Sony buys a publisher, Xbox will not be fine.

ricky ricky ricky who are you trying to convince here? or is it still the fear talking? xbox will be fine no matter what sony or nintendo do, as will it be the other way around

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Ryuu96 said:

One guy takes on entire thread.

Any point in even keeping this open, this isn't going anywhere, the source for the original rumour is weak, more reliable insiders say the opposite (Xbox is focusing on small - mid sized studios again), we've not been discussing the source for a long time. Only reason I've kept it open as long as it has is cause VGChartz is dead lately but Idk where the fun is in talking to a brick wall.

the fun is in getting him to cross the line and report him

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
kirby007 said:

the fun is in getting him to cross the line and report him

Lol. It's unlikely to be for something said to me, I rarely ban folk for stuff they say to me if they're in a debate with me.

Unless his name is Kirby!

pure racism