By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One; was it a successful console?

Would you say it was a success?

Yes 40 38.46%

No 64 61.54%

Total:104

I think the XB1 was a great success, maybe equally so with the 360. Output on the XB1 was middling at best, but people still bought the console, so it had some value. XBOX Live and Gamepass continues to grow and thrive. Even with a huge debacle at the beginning of the generation, they still sold quite a few XB1s. 50m after the bad start is similar to how the PS3 recovered. More and more games are coming to XB equally as on the PS. XB1 even had XB1X come out for a more expensive SKU, similar to the PS4 Pro, 3DS XL, and Switch LED. If a console manufacturer is confident enough to release a more expensive SKU, then I think it is very successful.

Kinect and motion gaming on the other hand was a massive failure.

Around the Network

By some of your guys standards the PS3 was a failure too when you compare it to the PS2

我是广州人

Did it make profit? Idk.
I know it tainted the image of Xbox and lost 30 million users from the X360.
It was not a success.

Ashadelo said:

By some of your guys standards the PS3 was a failure too when you compare it to the PS2

We're talking about Xbox here. Everyone knows that the PS3 is Playstation's worst selling console. Yet it still manage to crack almost 90 million after a horrid and abysmal start.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Sales wise yes. A lot of the consoles that I considered a flop sold less than 30 million.

But Personally, I haven't found a single reason to own one... And to me, that's a failure.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Define success?
To the business, Yes

Depends. Success is of course measured on many things.
I'm pretty confident the hardware itself never turned a profit. But did the software, subscriptions, and accessories? If so, it's probably a success.
At any rate, I think it was probably more successful than the PS3. The PS3 might've sold around 87 million hardware units, but hemorrhaged money. The PS3 and Vita would've killed PlayStation hardware if it wasn't for the PS4.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Ashadelo said:

I mean, that's debatable too; PS3 may have  wracked up 87 million units sold, but it also bled billions of dollars, sold 70 million less than its predecessor, and took Sony from overwhelmingly leading the market to barely scraping into second place.

curl-6 said:
Ashadelo said:

I mean, that's debatable too; PS3 may have  wracked up 87 million units sold, but it also bled billions of dollars, sold 70 million less than its predecessor, and took Sony from overwhelmingly leading the market to barely scraping into second place.

My toaster still does not have a cell processor. I'm waiting Sony!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Rafie said:
Ashadelo said:

We're talking about Xbox here. Everyone knows that the PS3 is Playstation's worst selling console. Yet it still manage to crack almost 90 million after a horrid and abysmal start.

never mind already posted above

我是广州人