By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's your favorite God of War game?

What's your favorite God of War game?

God of War (2005) 58 9.29%

God of War II 83 13.30%

God of War III 121 19.39%

God of War: Ascension 13 2.08%

God of War (2018) 317 50.80%

God of War: Chains of Olympus 19 3.04%

God of War: Ghost of Sparta 13 2.08%

Total:624

My favorite GoW is definitely the 2018 version. I didn't think I would like it at first because they changed the formula. Seeing as I love the hack n' slash genre and love greek mythology, this series was up my alley. GoW3 was my favorite up until the recent one.

With the upcoming game, I expect more or less the same as the last game. Great gameplay and a fantastic conclusion to end the Norse chapter of the series.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

This week's question concerns another notable Sony first party IP.

Bonus question: What are your hopes and expectations for the upcoming God of War: Ragnarök?

I'd be happy with more of the same and just a bit of evolution. Same base gameplay, but with a few new moves and abilities and areas. I loved the last one so much I'd be happy with more of that, please. 

Like a good steak, I wanna return to the store for more of that steak. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

God of War (2018), I'm not a fan of the genre it was before. Bayonetta/DMC/God of War aren't my thing. But the reboot was one of my favourite games of the generation.

2018 easily, followed by 3, 1, Ascension and II. Never played the other 2 games.

Bonus: More of the same tbh. 2018 was fantastic.

Machina said:

2018 is the only one I've played and it was very good. I enjoyed the narrative & dialogue, there were some great characters, and the voice acting was excellent. And it was very pretty obviously.

As for Ragnarok, I was a little bit disappointed by the trailer. It looked like God of War (2018) 1.5 - a very safe sequel of the sort you'd expect within a single generation. Maybe that's a by-product of needing to get it running on the PS4, but if that's the case then I wish they'd made it PS5 exclusive and really tried to push boundaries.

Well, considering this was originally conceptualized as an expansion but was too ambitious to be DLC so they turned it into a full game...

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

2018 for sure, love the setting, combat (seriously that returning axe, so good!) and story. Easily my game of the generation.

Expect to see more of the same from the first game, and possibly larger in terms of explorable areas. The rest of the Norse story with Kratos/Atreus and some epic fights - even more-so than the first. Hoping for bigger (scale) and badder boss battles like of the previous games. And a new weapon or two like a spear or bow. From the trailer there are new shields in the game.

Last edited by hinch - on 13 September 2021

Both the original and its sequel are still my favorites. GOW2 in particular had excellent level design, so I voted for that.

I fully expect to be in the vast minority here but I really didn't like GOW 2018. I realize that the series needed some kind of reboot at this point but I was not a fan of the direction that it took. It did have its moments to be sure, particularly some of the boss fights, but I found the controls clunky and Atreus annoying (although, considering I don't like kids, I didn't totally hate him). It felt like a chore to finish and I much preferred the hack and slash gameplay of the past.

Regarding Ragnarok, I don't have much hope for it impressing me personally since it looks just like 2018. Even the visuals don't seem to be in the league of something like Ratchet or the new Horizon, but granted, I need to see it in person first. Definitely didn't make me "lose my fucking mind", that's for sure.

God of War 2018 is my favorite.
I expect more of the same with Ragnarok. Just wish it was a full blown next gen title and not held back by PS4.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

archbrix said:

Both the original and its sequel are still my favorites. GOW2 in particular had excellent level design, so I voted for that.

I fully expect to be in the vast minority here but I really didn't like GOW 2018. I realize that the series needed some kind of reboot at this point but I was not a fan of the direction that it took. It did have its moments to be sure, particularly some of the boss fights, but I found the controls clunky and Atreus annoying (although, considering I don't like kids, I didn't totally hate him). It felt like a chore to finish and I much preferred the hack and slash gameplay of the past.

Regarding Ragnarok, I don't have much hope for it impressing me personally since it looks just like 2018. Even the visuals don't seem to be in the league of something like Ratchet or the new Horizon, but granted, I need to see it in person first. Definitely didn't make me "lose my fucking mind", that's for sure.

I finished Rift Apart a week ago and the visuals were often impressive enough to be sure. But reading that it looks better to you than Ragnarok is quite surprising since I was rather impressed by the new trailer.

I played 3, Ascension and the 2018 game.

I loved 3, thought it was unexpectedly great and exactly what I apparently wanted to play at the time. I flew through it. Ascension had issues, mostly technical in nature and and in gameplay design. I guess it was made by the B-team, because it showed.

And then 2018, which took the series in a new direction. I was fine with trying that, but while it started out good, the game quickly became a chore and even a bore to me. I quit at about a third of the way probably, which people might call too soon, but I’d say if a game only gets fun in the last bit then that’s a problem in itself. Obviously, this game was technically top-notch though, looking and playing beautifully and noticeably made by people who knew what they were doing and went out to make something special. Which for a lot of people they probably did, but I guess I just expected something else.

However, I play games to have fun. ‘Fun’ is the attribute that trumps all others, and is of utmost importance. Playing anything has no point otherwise, and then I’d rather do something else. I’m not in it to look at the art. Since I didn’t really have fun, God of War 2018 will not be anywhere near my mind when I’m thinking about what the greatest games are, but God of War 3 might. I had a lot of fun with that game, so my vote is for God of War 3.

Bonus: I expect Ragnarok will be more of the same, which like I said wasn’t what I’m waiting for. If the recent rumour about it being at least 40 hours long is true, then I won’t consider buying it, because that sounds like even more of a chore.