By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox One X and PS4 Pro sales

I looked for a thread like this, but didn't find one (sorry if I missed it).

How many units did the Xbox One X and/or the PS4 Pro sell?  Any reliable figures out there?

I'm curious if we'll ever see a next-gen title that also gets released on the last-gen "Pro" systems.  There are some games that don't require asset streaming off the SSD that, if they work on the Series S, might also work acceptably on the PS4 Pro or One X.

Don't get me wrong, I see the problems.  That either means you write it for the Pro and One X, and then run it on the new consoles in "Back-Compat. Plus", or you code it next-gen while simultaneously coding it for the Pro and One X.

So the question is, is there enough of a Pro and One X market out there that we might ever see a game like that (that would otherwise be next-gen only)?

Around the Network

In Japan about a quarter of PS4's sold since the Pro launched are it so sales are probably close to a quarter of sales since the launch date of the revisions so about 18 million Pro's and about 5 million One X's. Though I remember seeing Mat Piscatella say something about the One X doing comparatively better so it might be more like 6-7. For the other part that won't happen since if I remember right Sony and Microsoft require that if a game runs on one version of a console it has to run on all of them. Even without that the massive CPU performance gap combined with the userbase continually deceasing would make it not worth it. The type of gamer who'd buy one of the more powerful revisions is probably more likely than most people to want to get the new consoles right away so the amount of customers it would be for is rapidly declining.

Last edited by Norion - on 08 September 2021

I don't think there any reliable figures out there. But the ones that you do find by digging a bit on Google and same regional sale figures paint the sales of the mid-gen upgrades as not particularly high.

My personal guess would be that the PS4 Pro has sold about 10 million and the Xbox One X has sold around 5 million.

There's not enough of a market to bother releasing PS4 and Xbox One titles that only run on those pieces of hardware. That is, I don't think Sony and Microsoft feel its worth it.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

scrapking said:

I looked for a thread like this, but didn't find one (sorry if I missed it).

How many units did the Xbox One X and/or the PS4 Pro sell?  Any reliable figures out there?

I'm curious if we'll ever see a next-gen title that also gets released on the last-gen "Pro" systems.  There are some games that don't require asset streaming off the SSD that, if they work on the Series S, might also work acceptably on the PS4 Pro or One X.

Don't get me wrong, I see the problems.  That either means you write it for the Pro and One X, and then run it on the new consoles in "Back-Compat. Plus", or you code it next-gen while simultaneously coding it for the Pro and One X.

So the question is, is there enough of a Pro and One X market out there that we might ever see a game like that (that would otherwise be next-gen only)?

Microsoft doesn't release sales figures, so we will never know. For Sony they do release sales figures, but only talk overall sales.

As for my guess. PS4 Pro is around 10-15 million and Xbox One X is around 5-7 million. I also think the PS4 Pro sold the most in all regions except in North America, where Xbox One X sold more there.

As for the bold text. The Xbox Series S is more powerful than the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, so I don't think that will be the case for certain games. Also I've been saying since the Pro and X were released that Sony and Microsoft should allow developers to make games exclusively for those systems to take advantage of the extra GPU capabilities. Nintendo allowed exclusive games on the GBC, DSi, and New 3DS which are upgraded systems not a new generation. I didn't see why not since both Sony and Microsoft allowed exclusive games for the PSVR, PS Move, and Kinect. 

I honestly think they should lift that now, so that games going to only Xbox Series and PS5 will have a chance to see a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X release for those that may not move to the new generation of consoles anytime soon.

SNY and MS need to figure out how to sell more Pro units this gen, or don't bother at all and just reduce the pricing quicker and lifecycle back to 5 or 6 years. Selling more Pro units also may mean waiting 4 years this time instead of 3, for a huge clearly significant upgrade.

The thing to do this time around for a Pro console, would be to push as many (AAA) games as possible, to advance far enough, that the PS5/XBSX basically become a 1080p/1440p console and the Pro becomes the new 4k top tier. This would likely make many more gamers upgrade to the Pro models this time around.

Around the Network

would be nice to know real numbers here.

steve

Thanks for the many replies everyone, especially those that gave their best sales guesses! :)

I agree that the restriction against games only for the "Pro" consoles from last-gen should be removed. At least for digital-only games, where it can be made very clear to the person that the game isn't compatible (on a base PS4 or Xbox One, it could actually pop up a warning if you tried to buy it on anything other than a "Pro" console).

As for it being worth it or not worth it, some of these "Pro" consoles are still in use with people who haven't been able to find a next-gen system yet. Others will presumably be passed on to others, so they have some life left IMO.

As for the argument that a mid-gen refresh should happen at least 4 years in, rather than 3, I agree.  Microsoft did that with the One X and I think it made it a more interesting mid-gen console.  I also think it will take longer before the current-gen consoles fall far enough behind PCs that a mid-gen refresh is necessary, since this gen the consoles aren't starting quite as far back as PCs as last-gen with its souped-up mobile CPUs (ugh).

As for it being technically non-feasible because even the Series S is more powerful than any of the last-gen "Pro" consoles, I understand that the Series S is more powerful. And worse, yet, DIFFERENT (compared to the One X and PS4 Pro, the Series S has a better CPU but not necessarily a better GPU). But, perhaps at a somewhat lower level of fidelity, it could be done reasonably well. Much closer to the Series S version than a base model from last gen could do at least.

To those who predict it won't happen, you're probably right. But it's nonetheless an interesting thought experiment, and something that would be cool to see happen. :)

scrapking said:

Thanks for the many replies everyone, especially those that gave their best sales guesses! :)

I agree that the restriction against games only for the "Pro" consoles from last-gen should be removed. At least for digital-only games, where it can be made very clear to the person that the game isn't compatible (on a base PS4 or Xbox One, it could actually pop up a warning if you tried to buy it on anything other than a "Pro" console).

As for it being worth it or not worth it, some of these "Pro" consoles are still in use with people who haven't been able to find a next-gen system yet. Others will presumably be passed on to others, so they have some life left IMO.

As for the argument that a mid-gen refresh should happen at least 4 years in, rather than 3, I agree.  Microsoft did that with the One X and I think it made it a more interesting mid-gen console.  I also think it will take longer before the current-gen consoles fall far enough behind PCs that a mid-gen refresh is necessary, since this gen the consoles aren't starting quite as far back as PCs as last-gen with its souped-up mobile CPUs (ugh).

As for it being technically non-feasible because even the Series S is more powerful than any of the last-gen "Pro" consoles, I understand that the Series S is more powerful. And worse, yet, DIFFERENT (compared to the One X and PS4 Pro, the Series S has a better CPU but not necessarily a better GPU). But, perhaps at a somewhat lower level of fidelity, it could be done reasonably well. Much closer to the Series S version than a base model from last gen could do at least.

To those who predict it won't happen, you're probably right. But it's nonetheless an interesting thought experiment, and something that would be cool to see happen. :)

To keep the old Pro consoles relevant in the upcoming next gens, assuming that's what you wanted, the best thing to do would likely be what MS has done when it comes to next gen (present) hardware. Assuming the tech keeps advancing like it has or even faster.

I was one of very few who thought replacing the XB1X with a new version, with new hardware as a low tier next gen console was a good idea for this very reason. Now you have to be careful about making sure the hardware isn't too weak but also that its not too expensive. The XBSS has the right ballpark price at $299, but is ever so slightly lacking in some hardware, though it's no doubt a better option than the XB1X overall.

Let the console gamers who care about lower prices play next gen games with next gen hardware, just let them play those games at reduced fidelity. This way they have a choice. If you want the best 4k and overall experience, you've gotta pay for the XBSX. If you don't and just want to play next gen games at reasonable fidelity for cheap, get the XBSS. With more recent impressive upscaling tech, this makes even more sense for the lower end SKU.

It makes sense, if that's what you're going for. If MS wasn't also planning to introduce cloud based gaming asap, a hard push to get people onto next gen hardware would be smart. If you compare the value of the XB1 at launch for $500, or even the XB1X at $500, vs the XBSS at launch for $300, then it's a no brainer to upgrade if you can get the cash. The only thing a company can really do to help those out who can't upgrade, is also what MS is doing with cross gen, but that hinders game progress. Cloud however may fix this problem in due time, perhaps.

It depends a lot on cloud gaming and how that goes. Game Pass as well. The better they do, cloud more so, the less reason to upgrade your hardware. Unless MS makes a change like Win 11 and forces you to get more recent hardware to use the service. Maybe, maybe not. Even then you'll have a cheaper option and I wouldn't doubt you'd eventually have the choice of a new Xcloud SKU for much cheaper than the XBSS.

EricHiggin said:

To keep the old Pro consoles relevant in the upcoming next gens, assuming that's what you wanted, the best thing to do would likely be what MS has done when it comes to next gen (present) hardware. Assuming the tech keeps advancing like it has or even faster.

I was one of very few who thought replacing the XB1X with a new version, with new hardware as a low tier next gen console was a good idea for this very reason. Now you have to be careful about making sure the hardware isn't too weak but also that its not too expensive. The XBSS has the right ballpark price at $299, but is ever so slightly lacking in some hardware, though it's no doubt a better option than the XB1X overall.

Let the console gamers who care about lower prices play next gen games with next gen hardware, just let them play those games at reduced fidelity. This way they have a choice. If you want the best 4k and overall experience, you've gotta pay for the XBSX. If you don't and just want to play next gen games at reasonable fidelity for cheap, get the XBSS. With more recent impressive upscaling tech, this makes even more sense for the lower end SKU.

It makes sense, if that's what you're going for. If MS wasn't also planning to introduce cloud based gaming asap, a hard push to get people onto next gen hardware would be smart. If you compare the value of the XB1 at launch for $500, or even the XB1X at $500, vs the XBSS at launch for $300, then it's a no brainer to upgrade if you can get the cash. The only thing a company can really do to help those out who can't upgrade, is also what MS is doing with cross gen, but that hinders game progress. Cloud however may fix this problem in due time, perhaps.

It depends a lot on cloud gaming and how that goes. Game Pass as well. The better they do, cloud more so, the less reason to upgrade your hardware. Unless MS makes a change like Win 11 and forces you to get more recent hardware to use the service. Maybe, maybe not. Even then you'll have a cheaper option and I wouldn't doubt you'd eventually have the choice of a new Xcloud SKU for much cheaper than the XBSS.

I totally agree with you.  I upgraded from the One X to the Series S, and it was an undeniable upgrade overall.  Yes, the One X had 2 GB more RAM, and it had a better texture fill rate, but the vastly better CPU and storage on the Series S is a game changer.  Quick Resume, and very short load times, did more for it as an upgrade than anything the One X did for me as an upgrade.  And it did it with a smaller and more efficient footprint.  It truly felt like a next-gen upgrade compared to the One X, as the Series S offered so many QOL improvements.

That said, something like Microsoft Flight Simulator (among others) could probably be made to run on it.  Heck, there's a poker game that's Series X|S-only, which surely would run on the One X?  And it just feels like a shame that none of this does.  Because even as people upgrade, those One X units are being passed on to other people.  I loaned my One X out to a co-worker who's having fun with it, and is eagerly awaiting Forza Horizon 5 on Tuesday.

And Microsoft cares less about how much hardware they sell, and more about how many people remain plugged into their services.  So offering as many of their services to as much of their old hardware as reasonably possible sounds like a good goal.  But I guess it's a matter of return on investment, if the unit sales being speculated about here are anything close to correct.  It sounds like the One X did sell enough to be worth customizing code for if you're also doing a regular Xbox One version, but not enough to write code from scratch for if you're otherwise only doing a Series X|S version.  Bummer.

Last edited by scrapking - on 10 November 2021

As an aside, since apparently the PS4 Pro sold a little better, maybe we'll see some current-gen games that don't go to PS4 or the One X that DO go to the PS4 Pro, utilizing assets and running presets similar to the Series S version of the game that developer is also likely doing, if it's a third-party game, just aiming for 30 FPS on the Pro and 60 FPS on the Series S. If Sony would ever allow such a thing. Ironically, Microsoft would more likely say yes to such a thing (because they're more focused on sales of services). Whereas Sony apparently sold more Pro systems than Microsoft sold One X systems, yet Sony is more focused on selling new hardware so is more likely to say no to such a proposal, I suspect.