By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread discussion

Metroid Dread has been nominated for Game of the Year at the VGAs

https://nintendoeverything.com/the-game-awards-2021-nominees-announced/

Around the Network

Hollow Knight sold 2.8 million and Returnal less than 1 million so far. For a game like Metroid to even dream of 5 million is absolutely enormous. Dread can be to the Metroid franchise what Awakening was to Fire Emblem.

I genuinely think this is better than Super Metroid except for the soundtrack and the storytelling (which can be a bit heavy-handed at the start). I'm glad to see it's doing well. Hopefully Nintendo won't be as dumb as they can be and order a sequel from Mercury Steam as soon as possible.

Dread could be that game not just for the Metroid franchise, but the genre as a whole.
It’s at 1 million in a month with just the US and Japan alone.
And just going of Amazon US Best Sellers, it’s been constantly hovering within the Top 20-40 even with all the sales and boosts of games like COD, Pokemon, Madden, FIFA, 2K, and Mario.
It could be the game that elevates the entire Metroidvania genre as a whole to that next level in sales and popularity.
Fitting considering it’s one of the franchises the genre was named after.
Now if only Castlevania could get that same treatment… But that would require Konami giving a shit, so… Fuck.

So I'm late to the party, got Metroid Dread just after new years.

But man the game is awesome.

Given I love the Metroid I have played so far in my life (for 2D that is NES original and Super Metroid and all 3 Prime games on Wii).

I've not yet finished Derad, but I will still stand by that NES Metroid is the best in the series.

It has a special feeling that's not present in other games. Also I like that you do not have an in game mini map so unless you map manually you can be truly lost.

A big plus for Dread is that movement feels really fluid.

A thing that other games should learn from Dread when coming to QTE is the EMMIs. Having a variable timing every time you get caught and is supposed to counter really messes with you in a good way.

This series really showcases some of the incredible attention to detail that's gone into this game. Some of these are super cool.

Around the Network

I've seen some of those already. All this detail really shows how much effort was put into this game and that the developers really cared about it.

I've seen all of those. The ones that show how coherent the map and rooms are like the elevator going from Hanubia all the way down to the first room in Artaria through the multiple rooms aligned and the whole lava reactor being visible from all the rooms it should be... They are mindblowing. This level of deatil in map design, room design and background is almost unparalleled in a game of this kind. It's up there with Hollow Knight in that regarad.

By the way... after a lot of thinking, I think Metroid Fusion should be called Metroid Dread and viceversa, It would make a lot more sense and the names would actually honor the theme of both titles xD

Just finished it a few days ago. As far as 2D Metroid games are concerned I've played 1, and Super Metroid. The first one I could never get into and I really liked Super Metroid. Dread was fantastic from start to finish. It had the right amount of challenge. I don't think I'm going to give hard mode a try anytime soon, as the normal setting was more than enough for me. The final boss was a little on the easy side compared to some previous bosses. I ended up getting all the items except for one missile tank that I couldn't shinespark to.

I think that as the years go by people will look back at this game , compare it to Super and find Super better. Super has better content overall.

rapsuperstar31 said:

Just finished it a few days ago. As far as 2D Metroid games are concerned I've played 1, and Super Metroid. The first one I could never get into and I really liked Super Metroid. Dread was fantastic from start to finish. It had the right amount of challenge. I don't think I'm going to give hard mode a try anytime soon, as the normal setting was more than enough for me. The final boss was a little on the easy side compared to some previous bosses. I ended up getting all the items except for one missile tank that I couldn't shinespark to.

Damn, surprised you thought final boss wasn't as hard as some others. Died sooooo many times on final boss haha. I definitey thought final boss upped the challenge from the other really hard bosses. Anyway, after you've gone through the game once it gets a lot easier, so you should definitely try out hard mode. Not saying hard won't be challenging, but like replaying normal mode after I beat it for the first time was soooo much easier. Hard mode is a good challenge after you've beat the game on normal.

And yeah, I tried to 100% the game right after I beat it for the first time and I also got everything except that one tank that requires just insane use of the shinespark. It takes some ridiculous shinespark skill to get that one.