By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread discussion

Just beat the game.
14 hours with all items collected.
Died a shit ton of times, but I had too much fun to really care that match.
For the $60 I paid to get this game… I certainly think I got my money’s worth. XD

I’ll forego any story spoilers for anyone who still hasn’t finished it and is looking forward to that and I’ll stick to just gameplay.

It’s 2D Metroid alright. You got all your bells and whistles and standard stuff all here and working as it always has, so that’s good.
Every time I entered an EMMI area, I felt my palms sweat a little bit more.
Out of all the deaths I suffered in this game, about 2/3rds of them probably came from an EMMI. The timing on the Melee Counter for those things are strict as fuck!!!

This is the first Metroid game where I got 100% of the items and outside of a few bullshit items where I had to use a guide for, it was pretty fun exploring and searching for them.

As far as my personal Metroid rankings go:

Prime 1 is still the beat for me.
Followed by Dread and Super in a virtual tie. I’ll have to wait and see 3 months from now if my thoughts on Dread have changed and probably play Super again just so I know for sure.
Than Samus Returns, it was a fairly good game that was hindered by the 3DS’ hardware. Yeesh, I’m getting hand cramps just thinking about it.
And last on my list is Prime 2, which I still haven’t finished and don’t really feel like finishing right away because that game is more boring than watching paint dry. Good God, that game was boring as shit.

Still haven’t played: Prime 3, Fusion, Zero Mission, or Other M.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 20 October 2021

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

(...)

It's a really good game, a 9/10 for me. I'm not feeling I'm gonna play it again soon though, I just don't see much more to explore and the challenges just have became frustrating as they are too hard. I feel like the maps miss some shortcuts, even in the endgame navigate was sorrowful, this easily killed my vibe to collect more items

Spoiler!
There's a point where all teleportals get interconnected allowing you to warp to any teleportal no matter the color. I'm not sure if it's a specific teleportal or a number of teleportal found that unlocks it. For me, it was unlocked after I found a teleportal locked behind a storm missile block (in Burenia, I think?).

Spoiler!

I am pretty sure the requirement is to enter Itorash or whatever the name of the very final area is. Maybe it's even required to use the save point there, but since that one is right at the beginning of the area, you might as well use it before returning to the main areas again.

I had a playthrough with all teleporters being used at least once and all Chozo Soldiers defeated, including the one right before the elevator leading to Itorash, but there was no unlock of all teleporters getting connected; hadn't entered Itorash though. Conversely, I got the unlock on another playthrough where I hadn't used all teleporters, but had visited Itorash already.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Spoiler!
There's a point where all teleportals get interconnected allowing you to warp to any teleportal no matter the color. I'm not sure if it's a specific teleportal or a number of teleportal found that unlocks it. For me, it was unlocked after I found a teleportal locked behind a storm missile block (in Burenia, I think?).

Spoiler!

I am pretty sure the requirement is to enter Itorash or whatever the name of the very final area is. Maybe it's even required to use the save point there, but since that one is right at the beginning of the area, you might as well use it before returning to the main areas again.

I had a playthrough with all teleporters being used at least once and all Chozo Soldiers defeated, including the one right before the elevator leading to Itorash, but there was no unlock of all teleporters getting connected; hadn't entered Itorash though. Conversely, I got the unlock on another playthrough where I hadn't used all teleporters, but had visited Itorash already.

Spoiler!
I just tried. Reaching Itorash is enough, I did not save and went back. All teleporters are connected now. I was wondering if this could come in handy for speedrunners, but then again the whole way to Itorash and back again is pretty far, so rather not.
Last edited by GoOnKid - on 21 October 2021

GoOnKid said:
Slownenberg said:

I'm maybe like 2 hours in, so still early, but its a pretty darn cool game. I think it can definitely hold its own against some of the better Metroidvanias out there - I was worried a new Metroid wouldn't be able to stack up against the amazing indie Metroidvanias that have flourished this past decade but while this may not necessarily be the best of the best it is definitely up there among the better games in that genre. Metroid still kicks ass.

I've only ever played through Metroid and Super Metroid. This is making me really hope Nintendo adds GB and GBA to Switch Online so I can play through the whole collection on the Switch at some point. Then we just need a damn Prime Trilogy and Switch would be the ultimate Metroid system.

Well, I hope you are happy with your purchase. You were quite reluctant about it in the last weeks, and you never missed a chance to tell everybody how a 2D game should neeeeeeeeeever ever be charged full price. How do you feel now?

It's a real good game. I bought now just on a whim cuz I got it at $49 instead of like $63 (which is what it normally would cost with tax), so I did get it at over half the discount I wanted (was planning on buying it if it ever got discounted to $40). So I got it like 20% off what I would normally pay for a $60 game.

I'd still absolutely say no way it should have been $60. $40 feels right for it. Maybe $50 at launch, then drop to $40 once sales slow. $60 a bit silly, as I've previously stated. But what can I say I'm a Nintendo fan and haven't played a new 2D Metroid game since the mid-90s so in the end they got me!

Anyway, I didn't say a 2D game should "neeeeeeeeeever" be full price. Depends entirely on the game. But Metroid games are known as short games, so a 2D 10-15 hr game in 2021, when there's plenty of games just as good or better of similar gameplay and style that are $20-$30 and regularly go on sale for like $15, that just don't make sense. But it's $60 cuz it is Nintendo and you either buy it or wait a few years, I was gonna wait for bigger discount but picked it at a discount now anyways. I paid $49 knowing I was overpaying.

If this exact game were put out by any other company but Nintendo, I'd expect this to be priced at no more than $30 at launch. So that should answer your question.

Finished the game again in 7 hours 11 minutes.
Really itching to go for another run, it's so much fun.
After my first two playthroughs I wadn't really sure wether I consider Metroid Dread or Ori and the Will of the Wisps better. Now I've decided that Dread is a bit better than Ori based on it's replay value, which I don't really think either of the Ori games has.

Now I'm gonna replay Super Metroid, it's been a few years.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

After my first two playthroughs I wadn't really sure wether I consider Metroid Dread or Ori and the Will of the Wisps better. Now I've decided that Dread is a bit better than Ori based on it's replay value, which I don't really think either of the Ori games has.

I recommend you look into sentry jumps, that might just change your opinion on Will of the Wisps' replayability.

I make music, check it out here on Bandcamp, Spotify, and Youtube!
my top 50 games

mZuzek said:
Kakadu18 said:

I recommend you look into sentry jumps, that might just change your opinion on Will of the Wisps' replayability.

Might do that.

Funny, my last save point of Super Metroid on NSO was exactly one year and 40min ago. What a coincidence.

I'm 10 hours in according to my Switch clock, just beat Golzuna and the purple EMMI, and I already feel like I have gotten more entertainment value out of this game than the vast majority of games priced at $60 USD.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

I'm 10 hours in according to my Switch clock, just beat Golzuna and the purple EMMI, and I already feel like I have gotten more entertainment value out of this game than the vast majority of games priced at $60 USD.

looks like you and I are neck and neck.  you had been a bit ahead but i got to play for a while last night.

Edit:

Spoiler!
Just opened up the linked teleports, at 13 hours I'm now going back to 100% it before beating it.  At least that is the idea, some of the shinespark challenges are kicking my ass.
Last edited by The_Yoda - on 22 October 2021

Spoiler!
I finally did it. And after many rage-inducing attempts to do so. Rest in piss, Raven Beak.