By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread discussion

Yet more nifty little touches and attention to detail.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

Just finished it a few days ago. As far as 2D Metroid games are concerned I've played 1, and Super Metroid. The first one I could never get into and I really liked Super Metroid. Dread was fantastic from start to finish. It had the right amount of challenge. I don't think I'm going to give hard mode a try anytime soon, as the normal setting was more than enough for me. The final boss was a little on the easy side compared to some previous bosses. I ended up getting all the items except for one missile tank that I couldn't shinespark to.

Damn, surprised you thought final boss wasn't as hard as some others. Died sooooo many times on final boss haha. I definitey thought final boss upped the challenge from the other really hard bosses. Anyway, after you've gone through the game once it gets a lot easier, so you should definitely try out hard mode. Not saying hard won't be challenging, but like replaying normal mode after I beat it for the first time was soooo much easier. Hard mode is a good challenge after you've beat the game on normal.

And yeah, I tried to 100% the game right after I beat it for the first time and I also got everything except that one tank that requires just insane use of the shinespark. It takes some ridiculous shinespark skill to get that one.

I managed to do all the shinespark/speed booster challenges with some taking me quite a few attempts. 

While they are challenging, I think you can manage with a little bit more dedication.

CaptainExplosion said:

Now that Mercury Steam has proven themselves with Metroid, what other Nintendo IP should they try working on? ^^

Kid Icarus

CaptainExplosion said:
Spindel said:

Kid Icarus

Yeah, that'd be nice. ^^ What other genres should they branch out into for Nintendo? I don't know their full history so I'll need to be brought up to date.

Star Tropics maybe then :)

As of December 31 of last year, Metroid Dread sold 2.74 million copies! Looking forward to the next Metroid game!

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2022/220203_3e.pdf

Around the Network

Dread is probably already the highest selling Metroid game ever as of right now, since it was just 80k off it over a month ago.

curl-6 said:

Dread is probably already the highest selling Metroid game ever as of right now, since it was just 80k off it over a month ago.

It was 100k off actually. I hope it reaches 3mil this quarter.

Kakadu18 said:
curl-6 said:

It was 100k off actually. I hope it reaches 3mil this quarter.

My bad, I was going off VGChartz numbers. 

At any rate, unprecedented performance for a Metroid game, and another example of not just the Switch boost but the pent up demand for a quality new entry. Well deserved too.

CaptainExplosion said:
curl-6 said:

My bad, I was going off VGChartz numbers. 

At any rate, unprecedented performance for a Metroid game, and another example of not just the Switch boost but the pent up demand for a quality new entry. Well deserved too.

Now if only the same effect can be achieved with other underperforming but well-regarded Nintendo IPs, like Earthbound or F-Zero.

I think you can bury that thought. Earthbound is depending on Shigesato Itoi and his desire to write another entry. To this day, he has no desire at all to write a new story. Earthbound is his baby. You surely could give the IP to another studio but it would lack the DNA and it just wouldn't be the same, no matter how hard they tried. And honestly, I'm fine with that. Let's just not ruin a beloved franchise with half-assed new entries.

CaptainExplosion said:
GoOnKid said:

I think you can bury that thought. Earthbound is depending on Shigesato Itoi and his desire to write another entry. To this day, he has no desire at all to write a new story. Earthbound is his baby. You surely could give the IP to another studio but it would lack the DNA and it just wouldn't be the same, no matter how hard they tried. And honestly, I'm fine with that. Let's just not ruin a beloved franchise with half-assed new entries.

Well they what would you rather they try instead of Earthbound?

Something entirely new, please. Or, if you really want to pin me down, Golden Sun.