By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2021: Los Angeles Rams Win Super Bowl LVI

Who will win Super Bowl LVI?

Kansas City Chiefs 2 9.09%

Buffalo Bills 2 9.09%

Baltimore Ravens 0 0%

Cleveland Browns 1 4.55%

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7 31.82%

Green Bay Packers 3 13.64%

Los Angeles Rams 3 13.64%

New Orleans Saints 0 0%

Other (AFC) 3 13.64%

Other (NFC) 1 4.55%

Total:22
Mandalore76 said:
theRepublic said:

For the current overtime format, the record for teams that win the coin flip in overtime: 86-67-10

So win 52.8% of the time, lose 41.1% of the time, tie 6.1% of the time.

11 playoff games have gone to OT since the 2010 rule change.  10 of the 11 teams who won the coin toss went on to win the game.  7 of those 10 teams won the game on their first possession.

NFL overtime history: Revisiting the 11 playoff games that have gone to OT since 2010 rule change

That's also a much smaller sample size.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
Mandalore76 said:

11 playoff games have gone to OT since the 2010 rule change.  10 of the 11 teams who won the coin toss went on to win the game.  7 of those 10 teams won the game on their first possession.

NFL overtime history: Revisiting the 11 playoff games that have gone to OT since 2010 rule change

It's also a much more important sample size, because generally speaking, the teams facing off in the playoffs are bound to be higher quality. The level of competition is much higher than some random regular season game, where maybe 2 bad, or mediocre teams end up in overtime, and then their general incompetence leads to god knows what happening, regardless of the massive advantage that comes with winning the coin toss.

Angelus said:
theRepublic said:

It's also a much more important sample size, because generally speaking, the teams facing off in the playoffs are bound to be higher quality. The level of competition is much higher than some random regular season game, where maybe 2 bad, or mediocre teams end up in overtime, and then their general incompetence leads to god knows what happening, regardless of the massive advantage that comes with winning the coin toss.

Especially these days when teams are so stacked offensively. It should really come down to who can win in a shootout.

Good luck boys. May the best non-Cowboys fan win.

I can't believe the one weekend I elect to not stay up until 5 am to watch football is the day the greatest nfl match is ever played.
My take on the OT rules is that it's not fair simply because defenses have nothing more to give by the end of standard regulation. Who ever wins the toss is not only favorable to win the game in OT, but they also have a bonus handicap in facing a collapsed defense.

I used to have that bullshit opinion on the OT rules like, "there's nothing purer than a random coin toss to determine who gets the ball first". But I'm slowly changing my opinion. There are too many factors supporting it's not fair for a team to not get a shot at scoring.Your guys' takes on the rules where actually insightful. Great reads.

It was so heart breaking to see Tom Brady and Josh Allen lose. But they handled it like men. Unlike Ben Roethlisberger last year who was crying like a bitch on the sidelines.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network
hatmoza said:

I can't believe the one weekend I elect to not stay up until 5 am to watch football is the day the greatest nfl match is ever played.
My take on the OT rules is that it's not fair simply because defenses have nothing more to give by the end of standard regulation. Who ever wins the toss is not only favorable to win the game in OT, but they also have a bonus handicap in facing a collapsed defense.

I used to have that bullshit opinion on the OT rules like, "there's nothing purer than a random coin toss to determine who gets the ball first". But I'm slowly changing my opinion. There are too many factors supporting it's not fair for a team to not get a shot at scoring.Your guys' takes on the rules where actually insightful. Great reads.

It was so heart breaking to see Tom Brady and Josh Allen lose. But they handled it like men. Unlike Ben Roethlisberger last year who was crying like a bitch on the sidelines.

Agree with your first two points.  As for your third... sure, Tom Brady never cried after a loss.  Ever..

Your obsession with Ben Rothlisberger and the Steelers is not healthy, and you should see someone about it.

Very well, Rol.
May the best predictor win!

Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger officially announced retirement today. 

Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger retires after 18 seasons: 'I retire from football a truly grateful man'

Here's a recap of his phenomenal career:

178-91-1 Career Win/Loss/Tie Record
99-36 at Home
53 Game Winning Drives (2nd All-Time NFL)
41 4th Quarter Comeback Wins (3rd All-Time NFL)
8 Seasons with 10+ Wins
8 AFC North Division Titles
13 Playoff Wins
3 AFC Championship Wins
2 Super Bowl Wins
Last Active QB from 2004 Draft Class
18 Seasons as Starting QB
Steelers never ended a season below .500 with Big Ben on the roster.

Career Passing Stats:
5,440 Completions (5th All-Time NFL)
8,443 Attempts (5th All-Time NFL)
64,088 Yards (5th All-Time NFL)
418 TD (8th All-Time NFL)
15 Seasons with 3,000+ Yards
6 Seasons with 4,000+ Yards
1 Season with 5,000+ Yards  
12 Seasons with 20+TD's
9 Seasons with 25+TD's
4 Seasons with 30+TD's
4 Games with 500+ yards (1st All-Time NFL)
5,129 yards in a single season (8th All-Time, stat achieved 14 times by just 9 different QB's)

Record Against AFC North Opponents:
26-2-1 against Cleveland Browns
24-10 against Cincinnati Bengals
17-10 against Baltimore Ravens

Last edited by Mandalore76 - on 28 January 2022

Record Against AFC North Opponents:
26-2-1 against Cleveland Browns
24-10 against Cincinnati Bengals
17-10 against Baltimore Ravens

Yeah the dominance of the Steelers in the AFC North might be at an end without Big Ben. The Steelers don't look like they are going for any top prospects.

You forgot to list his two sexual assaults