By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video Game Pricing

Prices have increased in the UK. Even on most digital stores on PC - Steam/EGS/EA etc. In addition to cut content *cough* I mean DLC's and games increasingly being pushed out (incomplete or otherwise) and rushed to market. Its more that companies have shifted the cost to other ways like DLC's, MTX and GaaS to make up for development and increase ROI. Console gaming is increasingly more expensive, with more content locked to a store front and some features like online play locked behind a walled garden like PS Plus and Game Pass. So that $60-70 for a game you paid for suddenly becomes a lot more.

And now devs shifting towards GaaS model in mulitplayer games, so if gamers want to have access to new uncut content they're going to have to shell out to access new stuff each new 'season'. Basically, lots of hidden costs doesn't necessarily make gaming cheaper. Though with inflation video games did indeed used to be quite costly indeed, though tbh this is a needless comparison since the era of technology changes as is/was the availability of hardware capable of playing them and consumers expectations.

Last edited by hinch - on 16 August 2021

Around the Network

Well... games these days are only really limited by the money considerations. The days when games were made by a team of four kids in their bedroom are gone. Now it's hundreds of people on multi-year projects. It's not surprising that AAA games are pricey...

EnricoPallazzo said:

You know sometimes it's difficult for me to agree with "today's games have less content".

It depends on the game. Single player adventure games have been 12-15 hours adventures for a very long time. RPG's still have mostly the same length (around 40 hours). FPS games still clocks around 6-10 hours. Assassins creed games actually got bigger. Racing games have been the same or with more content. Take a look on how much content you would have in a sonic game for genesis, a Mario game for SNES, Zelda, Halo, Final Fantasy (excluding XV), Persona, Uncharted, Far Cry, Fifa (the offline portion).

It seems to me it's one of those things where we think we have less content, but actually it's the same or more, especially when compared to SNES or PS1 eras. Of course we have the cash grab/microtransactions monsters but it seems to me they are mostly for online games.

True, but the problem is with most modern AAA games. Their so called content is just a repetition of the same thing over and over again just for the sake of saying - we have 40 hours of content in our game. Not to mention that they usually have ton of DLCs and in-app purchases attached to them. And I'm not even talking about the game quality. Back in the past when you paid 60$, you knew that the game is most likely polished to the point that it won't have some game breaking bugs. These days, it is not guaranteed and almost every game has a day one patch and continues development even after launch. 60$ early access, so to say.

Not only that games are getting cheaper due to not keeping up with inflation, I also bet that none of you earn less money now compared to ten years ago (unless you lost your job).

10 years ago I went to University and earned nothing. Got some money from my dad to pay the rent and get some food. I couldn't even buy one new game a month with the money that I had left over.

5 years ago I was in the middle of my vocational training since I dropped out of University. First time I earned my own money, roughly €1000 a month. Rent was pretty high since I was living in Berlin. Yet, I could've easily bought some games at full price during that time each month.

A few months ago, I succesfully graduated and started my new job earning a lot more than before even though it's obviously just the starting salary. I could buy each and every new release on launch day and still have money left to save for vacations.

In 10 years, I will likely have reached the limit of my career (unless I'm deciding to postgraduate) and earn like double the amount I'm currently getting (more than that when factoring in inflation).

I'll buy a game at full price if I think its worth it & I want to play it day one. Otherwise, I'll just wait for a sale. Its not like Nintendo software where prices never go down lol.

Around the Network
kenjab said:

I have to say I'm fascinated that charging $70 for new next-gen games like Returnal and Ratchet are clearly affecting sales negatively, yet 4 year old Nintendo titles like BOTW and MK8 continue to chart highly at $60. That $10 difference really makes a big psychological difference to a lot of people it seems.

Based on what?

Rift Apart is doing phenomenal compared to other mainline Ratchet games while Returnal is halfway to a million units sold being a niche roguelike. These were never going to be 10+ Million sellers. Ratchet doing 5+ Million lifetime would be major growth for the franchise. 

Dunkey likes Pikmin 3, now I know he truly knows his stuff.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Barozi said:

Not only that games are getting cheaper due to not keeping up with inflation, I also bet that none of you earn less money now compared to ten years ago (unless you lost your job).

10 years ago I went to University and earned nothing. Got some money from my dad to pay the rent and get some food. I couldn't even buy one new game a month with the money that I had left over.

5 years ago I was in the middle of my vocational training since I dropped out of University. First time I earned my own money, roughly €1000 a month. Rent was pretty high since I was living in Berlin. Yet, I could've easily bought some games at full price during that time each month.

A few months ago, I succesfully graduated and started my new job earning a lot more than before even though it's obviously just the starting salary. I could buy each and every new release on launch day and still have money left to save for vacations.

In 10 years, I will likely have reached the limit of my career (unless I'm deciding to postgraduate) and earn like double the amount I'm currently getting (more than that when factoring in inflation).

True. Finding enough free time for gaming is a bigger problem nowadays than finding money.

I like options and right now there isn't a single PS5 game I paid £70 for.

Just last week I bought rift apart for £54 brand new of Amazon.

Got Demon Souls at launch for £56 and Godfall at launch for £54.

Nothing on earth can motivate me to ever pay 60 € for a game again. I get that production costs are rising and this and that and bla bla. The thing is, the competition is just way to hard. The sheer amount of games you can choose from today is insane. You will always find something for a few bucks that you can play and enjoy the hell out of it while you wait for the next sale for some AAA title. If you're just a little patient, chances are you will get the latest and greatest games for a fraction of 60 € just a few short months after the initial release.

I can't even remember the last time I paid full price for a game. Probably Breath of the Wild at the Switch launch. But even on that console and with the stable prices, I always buy my games on sale and Zelda aside, I never paid more than 40 € for any first party game on the Switch.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.