By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video Game Pricing

derpysquirtle64 said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

You know sometimes it's difficult for me to agree with "today's games have less content".

It depends on the game. Single player adventure games have been 12-15 hours adventures for a very long time. RPG's still have mostly the same length (around 40 hours). FPS games still clocks around 6-10 hours. Assassins creed games actually got bigger. Racing games have been the same or with more content. Take a look on how much content you would have in a sonic game for genesis, a Mario game for SNES, Zelda, Halo, Final Fantasy (excluding XV), Persona, Uncharted, Far Cry, Fifa (the offline portion).

It seems to me it's one of those things where we think we have less content, but actually it's the same or more, especially when compared to SNES or PS1 eras. Of course we have the cash grab/microtransactions monsters but it seems to me they are mostly for online games.

True, but the problem is with most modern AAA games. Their so called content is just a repetition of the same thing over and over again just for the sake of saying - we have 40 hours of content in our game. Not to mention that they usually have ton of DLCs and in-app purchases attached to them. And I'm not even talking about the game quality. Back in the past when you paid 60$, you knew that the game is most likely polished to the point that it won't have some game breaking bugs. These days, it is not guaranteed and almost every game has a day one patch and continues development even after launch. 60$ early access, so to say.

It's the nature of things as they develop complexity increases, and with complex systems it becomes harder to pick up the bugs ,you can no longer debug your code by hand like in the old days, the growth of the codebase along with the demand for larger and increasingly varied and open worlds, has lead too many games not being able to cover all contingencies that millions of player interacting with the game find, some in ways never dreamed off. so it becomes a whack a mole situation and this complexity ties in with day one patches where time becomes an issue since patching is an ongoing task, so using the time between a game going gold and retail release gives the developers that time hence dayone patching.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

True, but the problem is with most modern AAA games. Their so called content is just a repetition of the same thing over and over again just for the sake of saying - we have 40 hours of content in our game. Not to mention that they usually have ton of DLCs and in-app purchases attached to them. And I'm not even talking about the game quality. Back in the past when you paid 60$, you knew that the game is most likely polished to the point that it won't have some game breaking bugs. These days, it is not guaranteed and almost every game has a day one patch and continues development even after launch. 60$ early access, so to say.

It's the nature of things as they develop complexity increases, and with complex systems it becomes harder to pick up the bugs ,you can no longer debug your code by hand like in the old days, the growth of the codebase along with the demand for larger and increasingly varied and open worlds, has lead too many games not being able to cover all contingencies that millions of player interacting with the game find, some in ways never dreamed off. so it becomes a whack a mole situation and this complexity ties in with day one patches where time becomes an issue since patching is an ongoing task, so using the time between a game going gold and retail release gives the developers that time hence dayone patching.

Exactly. I understand it might be infuriating to play a bug game from launch day, but it is what it is. Games being bigger in scope and complexity will lead to bugs. This will also tie games to patch and download servers, you can no longer hold all the game content and bug fixes in a single disk

You should choose. You want to AAA games to be bigger and bigger? Then you should deal with all the annoying bugs and patches

Do you want your game to be a complete experience without patches, DLCs, and whatnot? Then you should support smaller games 

Azzanation said:
SvennoJ said:

I know it's niche, but I hoped prices of planes would come down a bit with the popularity of FS2020.

Looking at the DC-6, PMDG's cheapest offering, $60 US for one plane
https://pmdg.com/pmdg-dc-6-for-msfs/

And that's 'cheap' as the base package of the 747-400 for Prepare3D is $140!

I guess I'll wait for FS2020 to become more stable before investing that kind of money in add-on planes.

FS2020 is incredibly overpriced. Great game but they are asking way to much.

The base game is $60 and you get a lot for that (including a buggy mess, but that's modern gaming). However the add-on prices are just ???

Airports are actually on sale atm

But if you buy an airport you probably want the scenery around it as well, if you can find a match of course

Don't forget the landmarks for the city you want to fly from/over/to

Perhaps you want to try a different aircraft than the default selection

Or maybe get some info on how to fly the plane

Then it all has very little quality control and may (will) break between updates. Great game, but those dlc prices are not realistic for a console environment. (It's in CAD, x 0.8 to get the US price)

Of course you don't need any of that, fact is that the bi monthly world updates add many more things for free. Airports, improved ground mesh, updated terrain textures, many new landmarks, photogrammetry cities and next update also adds a plane, maybe two. Plus uou can also get many free updates outside the game.

I guess it's all part of let the whales pay for development strategy. Some people do sink many thousands of dollars in sims. I would love to support devs that put real effort in making cool things, yet the pricing is just so weird and there's no way to tell what's actually worth what. Atm it's just buyer beware, may break with next update, may not work on your system, buy as is. Not good enough.

SvennoJ said:
Azzanation said:

The base game is $60 and you get a lot for that (including a buggy mess, but that's modern gaming). However the add-on prices are just ???

/Snip

Lucky you, that's not the prices i have here where i am from.

Translation

A$99.95 = $72.90 USD

A$139.95 = $102.07 USD

A$179.95 = $131.24 USD

Last edited by Azzanation - on 30 August 2021

SvennoJ said:
Azzanation said:

I don't get that complaint, those dlc add ons are not from the devs but from creators. In fact you can make some dlc for your city/close by airport and sell it for a few $ while the world updates from the devs so far all have been free.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
SvennoJ said:

/Snip

Lucky you, that's not the prices i have here where i am from.

Translation

A$99.95 = $72.90 USD

A$139.95 = $102.07 USD

A$179.95 = $131.24 USD

Well I actually paid CAD 159.99 for the game, A$ 173.84 at today's exchange rate, pretty close.
That's just shitty exchange rates plus taxes.

konnichiwa said:
SvennoJ said:

I don't get that complaint, those dlc add ons are not from the devs but from creators. In fact you can make some dlc for your city/close by airport and sell it for a few $ while the world updates from the devs so far all have been free.

My 'complaint' is that the prices are far out of whack. $60 base game with the entire world, $60 for one enhanced island plus airport or one extra plane. True they can charge whatever they want, just doesn't make it enticing to buy and even less to collect add-ons. Plus there is no quality control nor guarantees. Hence my apprehension to spend more on add-ons.